Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gnash support alternate flash player

#1 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-February-09, 00:31

I wanted to see whether the flash client would run on gnash, a free implementation of flash. However, the current setup includes an explicit check for Adobe's flash player (see the calls to DetectFlashVer in http://www.bridgebas...t_v32/bbo.php?).

Could you set up a page which simply embeds the SWF file with the right parameters, without checking for flash versions?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-February-09, 02:16

I don't like the idea of bbo not checking for flash version as support could get flooded with requests from users who have problems without knowing that it's due to a wrong flash player version.

But maybe a warning would be sufficient, so that the user is aware that if anything goes wrong it might be because of the flash version.

Oops edited: I see the suggestion was to provide a non-checking page as an alternative entry for those using Gnash. I think that makes a lot of sense.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-February-10, 19:30

I'm surprised gnash doesn't have a masquerade feature to deal with pages like this, similar to the ways you can tell Firefox or Safari to claim to be IE.

#4 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-February-10, 21:56

I'll send you the page via IM

#5 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-February-10, 23:35

I tried it in Debian, amd64, 0.8.6, masquerading itself as 10.1.999, it didn't work (not BBO, not youtube either). Might be flashblock, noscript or being 64-bit getting in the middle, this is just first glance.

Would love to make it work, still bitten by FP-40 in 64 bit.

#6 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-February-10, 23:50

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying gnash since 64-bit Fedora 12 ships with a version of firefox which crashes on contact with libflashplayer.

I got Uday's message and am starting to test. First problem is that gnash support for SWF9 is not compiled in by default, so no chance with the gnash that comes with the distribution. Recompiling now ...

#7 User is offline   slior 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-February-13, 00:16

Recompiled gnash but the outcome was negative anyway. I think not enough of SWF9 is implemented for this to work and we should try again in a few months. Thanks for helping in the attempt.

Technical details follow.

The system is an up-to-date x86-64 Fedora 12. The sources were gnash-0.8.6.tar.bz2 from the ftp site. I used the following flags. The first flag is supposed to enable what SWF9 support there is, and the others are basically arbirary choices (also, for some reason it couldn't find the cairo include directory automatically).

configure --enable-avm2 --enable-renderer=agg --enable-media=ffmpeg --enable-gui=gtk --with-cairo-incl=/usr/include/cairo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users