BBO Discussion Forums: Simplified Meckwell Precision system (for students - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simplified Meckwell Precision system (for students

#81 User is offline   borag 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge :)

Posted 2009-December-27, 03:58

What about moving 12+ balanced hands into 1s and freeing 2h/nt for 5-5 two suited hands ?

#82 User is offline   robert_za 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-05, 01:17

Hi,
I've complied what I know and how we play Meckwell light in the following cheat-sheet:
http://scale-it.pl/f...ckwell_lite.pdf

I hope it will be helpful.

#83 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2018-May-15, 05:54

borag said:

What about moving 12+ balanced hands into 1s and freeing 2h/nt for 5-5 two suited hands ?

Rodwell's new idea is to use 1 - 2 as the 5-5 game forcing response. I have used this design in two Strong Club systems that I play.

2NT asks and 3 = + ?, 3 = + , 3 = + , 3 = +
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#84 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-15, 12:20

View PostPrecisionL, on 2018-May-15, 05:54, said:

Rodwell's new idea is to use 1 - 2 as the 5-5 game forcing response. I have used this design in two Strong Club systems that I play.

2NT asks and 3 = + ?, 3 = + , 3 = + , 3 = +

Seems weak to me. At the point of 2S, Symmetric Relay identifies each possible 5-5 combination.

#85 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2018-May-15, 18:05

For the last 2 years ive been teaching to university students, I mostly teach to the "A" and "B" players, some of them are among Canada best juniors (but Canada is not very strong) and even if technically some of them are more than strong enough to play a strong club system its just a terrible idea. (and I usually play a strong club system).

Its better they perfected their local standard first since as defender you need to learn it to know what your opponents are doing.

The strenght of precision is reaching game quickly without giving too much information (1M-game vs lenghty 2/1 auction)
Being able to open light and raising quickly (quick in quick out). Those two features are best against opponent that will squeeze the maximum out of the bidding space and defend double dummy when you give them too much information.

They have very few masterpoints so they mostly play players weaker than them and even in junior comp they are usually playing against players that wouldnt use the bidding space to the maximum. So stealing bidding space and hiding information is less important vs inexperienced opponents.

The drawback of precision for constructive auction will hit them hard. A decent precision system also need special tools or agreement that arent really useful in any other system ex 2C/2D openings, response to show both minors after a 1!D opening etc..

I would teach them polish club,weak Nt or even 4cM system before teaching them a strong club.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#86 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-15, 23:12

Strong club's core advantage is that it handles strength ranges better than most systems. The split between strong and limited hands allows for the quick auctions you mentioned. It also allows for lighter openings and lighter responses and preemptions to those openings. It allows for limited hands to bid aggressively on shape without misrepresenting strength.

Most would say that the weakness of strong club is the club opening itself, particularly for the interference it attracts.

Just within uncontested auctions, however, I think there's some difficulty when responder has enough strength to invite but not force game, the 5-7 range. For example, 1C-1D, 1S-2S where 1S is natural and forcing and 2S is some raise. The partnership may only have a 4-3 fit here, opener may have a moose, but a lot of space has been consumed. It could be worse on some non-fit auction such as 1C-1D, 1S-2H where opener wants rebids for both sign offs and forces. The basic problem here is that 1C-1D, 1S is very wide in range, opener is the first here to start describing shape, but responder by definition is not strong enough to relay opener's hand.

Adam and Sieong's system solves this particular problem as well as doing a great deal to address the interference issue as well. The 1C-1H+ responses show limited hands of roughly 5-10 hcps, a useful range which is frequently subdivided in later rounds between 5-7 and 8-10. It also allows for short uninformative auctions.

If a design goal was having responder give useful suit information to the 1C opening, Meckwell Lite would be behind most strong club systems. Solving the 5-7 problem appeals to me more than the 8-11 from 12+ problem.

've made rough tallies to compare systems for "actionable suit information" frequencies in response to a strong club. For example, I considered such things as a known 4-card suit (these were always a major) or a known balanced hand as "actionable" whereas a response that promised a 2-way bid (e.g. either hearts or spades) or 2 of a suit (e.g. balanced or diamonds) as not actionable. These results were based on small samples (usually 200 hands per system) generated on BBO. While SCREAM and MOSCITO 2005 immediately separate double negatives from semipositives from positives, they are truly awful at giving early suit information.

SCREAM..............................7%
MOSCITO 2005....................7%
Meckwell Lite.......................18%
TOSR...................................26%
Meckwell Lite (1H=12+).......29%
RMprecision.........................33%
My version of IMprecision....35%
IMprecision..........................40%

#87 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2019-January-26, 23:34

View PostSteelWheel, on 2009-December-14, 21:49, said:

@Fred: Interesting observations. I think that any aspiring bridge player should spend some amount of time sampling different styles and systems. I don't get a chance to play much serious bridge these days, so I generally play a variant of Berkowitz/Cohen with a couple of my old friends; it doesn't quite reflect my current theories as to which system is "best", but I'm too old and too much off the tournament bridge circuit to develop new systems/partnerships. In my day though, I've at least dabbled some with K/S--weak NT systems, super-strong NT Vienna style systems, EHAA, and several others. Even if you end up going back to "natural" 2/1 systems, you will gain some new insights into the problems that your opponents who do play such systems will encounter from time to time, which is information you can use to your advantage.

@stjk/olien: Suppose I have an auction in Meckwell Lite as follows (opps silent):
1 2 (=diamonds)
2 2 (natural)
??
What is a 3 call here and how does it differ from an immediate 4? Having found a suit under game, I assume that cuebidding is mandatory here given the extra values we know we have?

By contrast, the way B/C Precision handles this sort of situation is as follows (I don't know if this is in "Precision Today" or not--but it was in David's copy of his system notes as of about ten years ago, and I believe it's still there today):

1 2 (=natural, 8+)
2[NT] (=semi-artificial, forcing) ??
Responder's second bid:
3 (=four card heart suit)
3 (=four card spade suit)
3 (=rebid of diamonds)
3 (=four+ clubs, but diamonds better, stronger, longer, etc)

Now opener can "accept" the transfer into the four card major, and invite the cuebid from responder (alternatively, opener can terminate the auction via a 4 puppet, or bid RKC in either of responder's suits, or make a "natural" try via a 4 puppet, indicating a hand for which RKC was not a useful/suitable slam investigation tool). Does anyone want to weigh in on which of these methods has more going for it? Should the big club hand be inviting the cue from responder, or vice versa?

@PrecisionL: Hi, Larry. The idea of inverting the Meckwell Lite responses reaches its logical conclusion with "Revision Club", in which most immediate responses are natural and 0-7, and 1 is a mark-time bid, which might be 0-7 with no five+ length suit, or can potentially be almost any kind of strong 8+ hand.

Or one could play that acceptance of responder's transfer is Beta (asking for controls where A=2 and K=1). I have used this approach for years and really like it. Also suggested in Precision Today in the advanced section.
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#88 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2019-January-26, 23:40

straube said:

1526408422[/url]' post='951219']
Seems weak to me. At the point of 2S, Symmetric Relay identifies each possible 5-5 combination.

I have improved on showing 5-5 hands by responder by including them in the 1NT response. However, they are mostly described by 3 (majors) not 2NT as in Symmetric Relay.

#89 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-January-27, 18:08

Bridge-rules mandate that you disclose your methods to opponents. In principle that means that your opponents know as much about your agreements as you do --
  • positive inferences from the calls that you make -- and
  • negative inferences from the calls that you don't make.

Usually, there are practical limitations as to how far this is possible. For example, opponents will find it hard to understand all inferences from your auction, in a club match-pointed pairs tournament,

In high-level play e.g International events, trials, and major national competitions, however, your opponents seem to be entitled to as complete a blue-print of your system as they are willing to put in the work to learn. Disclosing understandings, a short time before a match -- or even worse, as the auction progresses. -- severely disadvantages opponents who want to fine-tune defences, tailored to each specific method.

Hence, IMO, private system-notes clash with the very principle of disclosure, flouting Bridge rules.and ethics. The more sophisticated your methods, the greater your secret advantage.

A box for "special calls which may require defence" is a step in the right direction but not far enough. Why should you choose, which of your methods, your opponents are allowed to counter?

I would like the rules to mandate that your system-file be clarified and published in supplementary notes with your convention-card.
For on-line play, legislators could insist that a partnership also publishes an FD (Full-Disclosure) file.

The opinion of a top-director, like Gordon Rainsford, would be interesting.

#90 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2019-January-29, 05:32

PrecisionL said:

1548567646[/url]'

I have improved on showing 5-5 hands by responder by including them in the 1NT response. However, they are mostly described by 3(majors) not 2NT as in Symmetric Relay.

Kurt Schneider has improved the design by describing all 5-5 distributions by 3. See rec.games reference, 2/15/16.

https://groups.googl...HA/

However, this design confounds the major responses of 2 and 2. (Edited 2/16/19)

#91 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-29, 06:34

View Postnige1, on 2019-January-27, 18:08, said:

I would like the rules to mandate that your system-file be clarified and published in supplementary notes with your convention-card.
For on-line play, legislators could insist that a partnership also publishes an FD (Full-Disclosure) file.

Hi Nigel,

The principle is simple and widely understood, that your opponents are entitled to know as much about your system as you do, or as David Burn would say "tell them what you play". The problem comes with deciding how this should be disclosed, because it's rarely practical to tell your opponents every little detail of your agreements and often won't be necessary, but pairs should recognise that if they have been economical with their disclosure they may well be ruled against for misinformation if it ends up making a difference.

An associated question is about what should be alertable, because if too many calls are made alertable they simply become ignored and the ones that really do need to be drawn to your attention will be missed. In the bad old days in England, three-card minor suit openings were alertable and it was widespread that an alert of 1C was assumed to be for this reason, with the consequence that a strong and artificial 1C opening might well be missed until too late.

When it comes to insisting on system files being provided as supplementary notes, there are some pairs that do this but their opponents do not always welcome it, preferring to have a well-judged summary instead.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#92 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-29, 13:28

View Postnige1, on 2019-January-27, 18:08, said:

Bridge-rules mandate that you disclose your methods to opponents. In principle that means that your opponents know as much about your agreements as you do --
  • positive inferences from the calls that you make -- and
  • negative inferences from the calls that you don't make.
Usually, there are practical limitations as to how far this is possible. For example, opponents will find it hard to understand all inferences from your auction, in a club match-pointed pairs tournament,In high-level play e.g International events, trials, and major national competitions, however, your opponents seem to be entitled to as complete a blue-print of your system as they are willing to put in the work to learn. Disclosing understandings, a short time before a match -- or even worse, as the auction progresses. -- severely disadvantages opponents who want to fine-tune defences, tailored to each specific method.

I would have more sympathy with your ideals if your own disclosure was exemplary. However your system card remains the epitome of non-disclosure even though it is used in international representative events and national trials - http://www.sbu.org.u...uthrie-2018.pdf

However there is almost sufficient information to play against you on the card, save for saying which suit you open with a balanced 12 count and 4-4 in the red suits (which is really a naughty omission). My own card has almost no white space remaining in an effort to provide disclosure of the system, following the WBF guidelines, but it looks complex and intimidating (it's not suitable for club play, but it is not designed for that).

On the topic of Full Disclosure on BBO, it was an experiment but it would have to improve at least hundred-fold to be viable.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#93 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-January-30, 19:39

View Postgordontd, on 2019-January-29, 06:34, said:

The principle is simple and widely understood, that your opponents are entitled to know as much about your system as you do, or as David Burn would say "tell them what you play". The problem comes with deciding how this should be disclosed, because it's rarely practical to tell your opponents every little detail of your agreements and often won't be necessary, but pairs should recognise that if they have been economical with their disclosure they may well be ruled against for misinformation if it ends up making a difference.

The interesting question is:
  • Suppose you have fairly comprehensive up-to-date system-notes.
  • A pair, against whom you are about to play a long match, request a copy.
  • Are you legally obliged to comply with their request?
  • Are you morally obliged to do so?

View Postpaulg, on 2019-January-29, 13:28, said:

However there is almost sufficient information to play against you on the card, save for saying which suit you open with a balanced 12 count and 4-4 in the red suits (which is really a naughty omission). My own card has almost no white space remaining in an effort to provide disclosure of the system, following the WBF guidelines, but it looks complex and intimidating (it's not suitable for club play, but it is not designed for that).

Paul's efforts at disclosure are commendable.

Jim likes to play a simple, natural, free-wheeling system with other partners. He and I adopted a similar approach for my monthly outings. The few conventions that we now play are mainly at my suggestion. We have no system-notes. We'll add to our card as soon as we address system grey-areas.

Take Paul's example: with 4 card-suits, we recently agreed to open Ms before ms and s before s. I confess, however, that when we last played, we both opened 1 holding 4414 :(

I intend to write up a simple strong- system to tighten-up our agreements, so this thread is of great interest and use :)

View Postpaulg, on 2019-January-29, 13:28, said:

On the topic of Full Disclosure on BBO, it was an experiment but it would have to improve at least hundred-fold to be viable.

6 years ago, Kungsgeten created an enormous improvement

#94 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2019-January-31, 08:20

View Postnige1, on 2019-January-30, 19:39, said:

The interesting question is:
  • Suppose you have fairly comprehensive up-to-date system-notes.
  • A pair, against whom you are about to play a long match, request a copy.
  • Are you legally obliged to comply with their request?
  • Are you morally obliged to do so?
Jim likes to play a simple, natural, free-wheeling system with other partners. He and I adopted a similar approach for my monthly outings. The few conventions that we now play are mainly at my suggestion. We have no system-notes. We'll add to our card as soon as we address system grey-areas.

I would call your "simple, natural, free-wheeling system" a system of implicit, undocumented, agreements where you have a free rein to deny disclosure whenever you see fit. Even though you do try to provide full disclosure the lack of explicit agreements is not to your advantage. Granted you will lose most rulings without dispute since there is no proof of any agreement but, personally, I regard it as unacceptable at international trials level. It is how bridge in played in clubs and there is nothing wrong with it in that environment, but you have a greater responsibility at a higher level.

In answer to your question, I'd be happy to provide my comprehensive system notes when you provide me with all your implicit agreements.

Unfortunately your approach is adopted by too many Scottish pairs in national trials and they get very frustrated when they lose rulings because they cannot prove an "obvious bid" is so obvious in their methods. A needless corollary to the "freely open to all" approach.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#95 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-February-01, 21:05

View Postpaulg, on 2019-January-31, 08:20, said:

Unfortunately your approach is adopted by too many Scottish pairs in national trials and they get very frustrated when they lose rulings because they cannot prove an "obvious bid" is so obvious in their methods. A needless corollary to the "freely open to all" approach.

Neither directors nor opponents have complained about our card but we're happy to change it, in the light of Paul's criticisms.

#96 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2019-February-02, 02:35

View Postnige1, on 2019-February-01, 21:05, said:

Neither directors nor opponents have complained about our card but we're happy to change it, in the light of Paul's criticisms.

As I said originally, the card is sufficient for me (and most) to play against you but that does not mean that I think it is adequate. But this is just my opinion and I have nothing to do with the Scottish selectors, except for the juniors which are handled separately.

However I tend to be the first port of a call when a complex ruling is involved in any trials, since I am not Scottish, especially with misinformation and unauthorised information cases. The first question I ask is can the pair prove their claimed agreement and I fear you would be poorly placed.

The U21 pair I mentor is young and inexperienced and have no system notes, aside from their system card. Personally I regard their card (PDF) as the minimum for an international pair, but it contains more than many international pairs disclose (whose cards were considered fine for the Europeans).
The Beer Card

#97 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-February-02, 08:34

View Postpaulg, on 2019-February-02, 02:35, said:

As I said originally, the card is sufficient for me (and most) to play against you but that does not mean that I think it is adequate. But this is just my opinion and I have nothing to do with the Scottish selectors, except for the juniors which are handled separately.

However I tend to be the first port of a call when a complex ruling is involved in any trials, since I am not Scottish, especially with misinformation and unauthorised information cases. The first question I ask is can the pair prove their claimed agreement and I fear you would be poorly placed.

The U21 pair I mentor is young and inexperienced and have no system notes, aside from their system card. Personally I regard their card (PDF) as the minimum for an international pair, but it contains more than many international pairs disclose (whose cards were considered fine for the Europeans).

Thank you, Paul. Your mentees' system-card is augmented and enhanced by full, clear supplementary-notes.

#98 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-February-03, 03:52

View Postnige1, on 2019-January-30, 19:39, said:

Actually it was almost 7 years ago :) https://www.bridgeba...full-disclosure
Time flies by!

#99 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2019-February-03, 11:40

View PostKungsgeten, on 2019-February-03, 03:52, said:

Actually it was almost 7 years ago https://www.bridgeba...-disclosureTime flies by!

IMO, Kungsgeten's brilliant BML will soon be revived and developed as the standard online disclosure method, especially for high-level competition,.

#100 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2019-February-03, 13:47

View Postnige1, on 2019-February-03, 11:40, said:

IMO, Kungsgeten's brilliant BML will soon be revived and developed as the standard online disclosure method, especially for high-level competition,.

I have not been through BML, but how does it handle competition? This was one of the main reasons I stopped putting effort into Full Disclosure, since calls are dependent on the meaning of the opposition's calls.

Even something simple like (1C) 1H (X) where double might show 4 spades, 4+ spades, or show 0-3 spades.
The Beer Card

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users