• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot Duplicate Tournaments # of boards

#21 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-November-12, 07:00

barmar, on Nov 12 2009, 02:40 AM, said:

The normal round times at ACBL f2f tournaments are 15 minutes for 2-board rounds, 21 minutes for 3-board rounds. That fits the 6/board+3/round formula, and it's been like this for as long as I can remember.

Isn't the allotted time for a 7-board Swiss match more than 45 minutes? I would have guessed 50 minutes, though it has been a while since I played in a Swiss with clocks.

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-12, 16:23

TimG, on Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM, said:

The normal round times at ACBL f2f tournaments are 15 minutes for 2-board rounds, 21 minutes for 3-board rounds.  That fits the 6/board+3/round formula, and it's been like this for as long as I can remember.

Isn't the allotted time for a 7-board Swiss match more than 45 minutes? I would have guessed 50 minutes, though it has been a while since I played in a Swiss with clocks.

I'm pretty sure it's 45 minutes. The actual length of each round is usually more than 50 minutes, because the clock is the deadline for starting the last board, not finishing it. So there are always a few teams still playing when the clock runs out, and then you have to wait for the pairings.

#23 User is offline   triplepeel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-November-12, 17:54

in club games 7 minutes per board is usually plenty, but that is for 3 board rounds. It is a well established fact that the more boards you play in a set, the less time per board is needed because every set contains either a pass-in or a couple of pianolas.
so for 8 boards 5-6 minutes is heaps... 4 minutes for speedball

#24 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-12, 19:31

barmar, on Nov 12 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

TimG, on Nov 12 2009, 08:00 AM, said:

The normal round times at ACBL f2f tournaments are 15 minutes for 2-board rounds, 21 minutes for 3-board rounds.  That fits the 6/board+3/round formula, and it's been like this for as long as I can remember.

I'm pretty sure it's 45 minutes. The actual length of each round is usually more than 50 minutes, because the clock is the deadline for starting the last board, not finishing it. So there are always a few teams still playing when the clock runs out, and then you have to wait for the pairings.

If the clock is set for when no more boards may be started and the round is 45 minutes, wouldn't the clock be set for less than 45 minutes?

#25 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-November-12, 19:37

You are arguing about semantics. The last board must be started within 45 minutes. Yes that means technically the round lasts longer than 45 minutes, but it's considered a 45 minute round.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-November-14, 19:11

And indeed, this is another difference between online and f2f bridge. In BBO clocked tourneys (including robot tourneys), when the clock runs out you're moved (or the tourney ends), even if you were in the middle of a board.

In Robot Rewards, this can be quite frustrating. This afternoon I bid a slam (actually, the bot simply raised my 5 to 6), and it was going to make and push me up 3 places (from $2.60 to $3.20), but the clock ran out while the bot was playing. But a couple of days ago I bid and made a grand slam, jumping from about 5th to 1st place just on the buzzer.

It sure would be nice to see the second hand on the clock when we're down to the last 2 minutes.

#27 User is offline   Hummer_ 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-November-16, 17:07

I like the 55 minutes for 12 boards. It lets you play relaxed. It also allows me to play at work. If a problem arises I have time to do work duties and then come back to the tourney. I am usually done early and like to watch the slower players to see how the gibs are telling and playing. Not knowing immediately how I did is a cheap price to pay for the relaxed time constraint.
Mike

#28 User is offline   mfearth 

• Pip

Posted 2009-December-04, 21:33

So, simple solution, why not just have two versions of the tournament, one with 8 and one with 16 boards? The Robot Rewards are fun enough, but there is a reason that we gravitate to matchpoints rather than kitchen bridge. 'sides there is a completely different strategy to the rewards game, while the same people seem to win consistently so it clearly is related to ability and skill, it really only proves that you can adapt to your partner always having a worse hand and knowing how to bid accordingly. Sounds like some others might be interested in the concept of a greater number of boards, why not try one of these on the hour to see how popular the idea is?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users