Wtp? 5404 9-count
#2
Posted 2009-August-25, 05:44
When I try Double on hands like this (shapely and light), my partners inevitably bid (a lot of..) notrumps.
#3
Posted 2009-August-25, 05:45
#4
Posted 2009-August-25, 05:47
gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 12:45 PM, said:
I presume this isn't a vote for pass?
#5
Posted 2009-August-25, 05:49
MickyB, on Aug 25 2009, 12:47 PM, said:
gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 12:45 PM, said:
I presume this isn't a vote for pass?
No, I bid 1♠, to avoid being ridiculed by my peers.
#6
Posted 2009-August-25, 06:18
#7
Posted 2009-August-25, 06:38
MickyB, on Aug 25 2009, 06:19 AM, said:
RHO opens 1♦. Do you bid 1♠ or dbl?
this is a clear 1♠ call if the other choice is X. X is not just about shape but defensive strength as well and this just doesn't have enough.
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw
#8
Posted 2009-August-25, 06:38
I'll add that we would tend to overcall on slightly stronger hands, just to avoid total ridicule.
Paul
#9
Posted 2009-August-25, 07:08
But this concrete hand would ask for a double if I had the values, don't wanna mes with an opponent with4 strong spades!
#10
Posted 2009-August-25, 07:23
Doesn't completely bury the heart suit, as it opens up some responsive doubles from partners.
I would back in with a double after:
(1♦) - 1♠ - (2♦) - Pass
(Pass)
Quite tough, but my partner usually takes out my take-out doubles, and I am an overbidder.
Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.
Best Regards Ole Berg
_____________________________________
We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:
- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.
Gnasher
#11
Posted 2009-August-25, 07:40
I hate my spades for 1 spade and my HCPS and shape for double.
Make it a little stronger, say Ajxxx in spades and it would be enough to bid spades.
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#12
Posted 2009-August-25, 08:38
#13
Posted 2009-August-25, 08:40
#14
Posted 2009-August-25, 09:46
Harald
#15
Posted 2009-August-25, 10:05
I want to compete for the part score here if I can as safely as possible. I would like partner to know I can support the other suits, I can do that very well in fact. The fear of the 5-3 major fit here is over rated IMHO.
#16
Posted 2009-August-25, 11:43
Double gets all the suits in play, although with stronger spades and weaker hearts, I'd overcall.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#17
Posted 2009-August-25, 15:00
#18
Posted 2009-August-25, 15:47
#19
Posted 2009-August-25, 16:57
On many probably most and maybe all auctions I will not be worth another free bid so 1♠ may lose the other suits and double may lose a good 5=3 spade fit.
I am not PASSing with this much strength and distribution.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#20
Posted 2009-August-25, 17:57
So many experts, not enough X cards.

Help

RHO opens 1♦. Do you bid 1♠ or dbl?