BBO Discussion Forums: Wtp? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wtp? 5404 9-count

#1 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2009-August-25, 05:19

Scoring: IMP

RHO opens 1♦. Do you bid 1♠ or dbl?

0

#2 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-August-25, 05:44

1♠.

When I try Double on hands like this (shapely and light), my partners inevitably bid (a lot of..) notrumps. :unsure:
0

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-25, 05:45

Once upon a time, pass was an option too.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#4 User is offline   MickyB 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,290
  • Joined: 2004-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, England

Posted 2009-August-25, 05:47

gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

Once upon a time, pass was an option too.

I presume this isn't a vote for pass? :unsure:
0

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-25, 05:49

MickyB, on Aug 25 2009, 12:47 PM, said:

gnasher, on Aug 25 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

Once upon a time, pass was an option too.

I presume this isn't a vote for pass? :unsure:

No, I bid 1♠, to avoid being ridiculed by my peers.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#6 User is offline   rd6789 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: 2009-August-03

Posted 2009-August-25, 06:18

1♠ - X and we probably miss a 5-3 spade fit - I know we risk missing a 4-4 heart fit but that might come to light later if p is good
richard
0

#7 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-25, 06:38

MickyB, on Aug 25 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

Scoring: IMP

RHO opens 1♦. Do you bid 1♠ or dbl?

this is a clear 1♠ call if the other choice is X. X is not just about shape but defensive strength as well and this just doesn't have enough.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#8 User is offline   paulg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,258
  • Joined: 2003-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edinburgh

Posted 2009-August-25, 06:38

My brother doubled (as I would have) on this hand. The hand is only really worth one action and you want to play in partner's long suit given that you will be ruffing diamonds. Finding a 5-3 spade fit is not so great when you have to ruff at trick one.

I'll add that we would tend to overcall on slightly stronger hands, just to avoid total ridicule.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-August-25, 07:08

Lack values for a double, I like to bid 1M instead of double with 54 in the majors because you are burying your most likelly fit otherwise, and if you ahve fit you discover it instantly.

But this concrete hand would ask for a double if I had the values, don't wanna mes with an opponent with4 strong spades!
0

#10 User is offline   OleBerg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,950
  • Joined: 2008-April-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2009-August-25, 07:23

1♠

Doesn't completely bury the heart suit, as it opens up some responsive doubles from partners.

I would back in with a double after:

(1♦) - 1♠ - (2♦) - Pass
(Pass)

Quite tough, but my partner usually takes out my take-out doubles, and I am an overbidder.
_____________________________________

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

_____________________________________

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.


Gnasher
0

#11 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-August-25, 07:40

I am used to being ridiculed so: Pass

I hate my spades for 1 spade and my HCPS and shape for double.
Make it a little stronger, say Ajxxx in spades and it would be enough to bid spades.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#12 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-August-25, 08:38

1♠
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#13 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-August-25, 08:40

Double.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#14 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-August-25, 09:46

1♠. Might take another action later, depending on what happens.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#15 User is offline   mcphee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,514
  • Joined: 2003-February-16

Posted 2009-August-25, 10:05

I consider this hand a clear t/o dble even though I would not want to open the bidding with this. When you face a choice of actions, an overcall or t/o dble, the choice of the o/c should be a sensible suit. If I choose to o/c in S and partner were to pass the next players contribution to the bidding I am no longer able to compete without overstating my values. Consider 1D 1S 2D P, you really want to dble now, partner awaits with his D suit and passes the dble you may have some explaining to do when they make an over trick or 2.

I want to compete for the part score here if I can as safely as possible. I would like partner to know I can support the other suits, I can do that very well in fact. The fear of the 5-3 major fit here is over rated IMHO.
0

#16 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-25, 11:43

Agree with Arend here.

Double gets all the suits in play, although with stronger spades and weaker hearts, I'd overcall.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#17 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-25, 15:00

Double. And I am usually the one bidding my suit when most other people are doubling.
0

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-August-25, 15:47

Reverse hearts and spades and I vote for double. As it is, 1S.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-25, 16:57

I don't care too much. 1♠ or Double.

On many probably most and maybe all auctions I will not be worth another free bid so 1♠ may lose the other suits and double may lose a good 5=3 spade fit.

I am not PASSing with this much strength and distribution.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-August-25, 17:57

My first choice is pass, it's not going all pass and I will have more information on the next round. My second choice is double. 1♠ doesn't even enter into the equation.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users