Five Card Major
#21
Posted 2009-August-23, 12:14
George Carlin
#22
Posted 2009-August-23, 12:38
#23
Posted 2009-August-23, 12:42
gwnn, on Aug 23 2009, 01:14 PM, said:
I like to play COG cuebids, but here I would prefer to play 4♦ as good raise. With a COG you can bid...3♠! Now, partner's 4♦ cuebid in reply to 3♠ OTOH makes a lot of sense as COG, and if playing that, 3♠ would become more attractive. Lacking that agreement I would bid 4♥ - bidding 3N with these slow club tricks seems to gamble on a double diamond stopper, or on running hearts AND the club ace (or diamonds 7222 with LHO having no entry).
Edit: Even if 4♦ in replay to 3♠ was COG, it seems still very wrong to bid 3♠. On most hands where we belong in spades rather than hearts, partner would have doubled.
#24
Posted 2009-August-23, 13:57
3♠=10
3NT=9
4♥=7
Pass=0
Can't belive that people are advocating pass here. That's a borderline partner asking bid in my book.
#25
Posted 2009-August-23, 14:06
gwnn, on Aug 24 2009, 05:12 AM, said:
Someone has discovered a new gadget
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#26
Posted 2009-August-23, 14:08
benlessard, on Aug 24 2009, 06:11 AM, said:
... and partner won't expect ♠ AQ10xx or similar
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#27
Posted 2009-August-23, 14:10
inquiry, on Aug 24 2009, 06:38 AM, said:
At the table I thought (or rather wondered if) partner might think I had heart tolerance if I bid 3♠. But I hated the spade quality for 3♠. But loved the flexibility as 3NT, 4♥ and 4♠ were all in the picture.
Not a regular partner btw.
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#28
Posted 2009-August-23, 14:12
As it is, I think 3♠ is aiming for disaster. Partner might raise on Kx or xxx. I think it's close between 3NT and 4♥, not at all sure which I'd chose at the table.
Harald
#29
Posted 2009-August-23, 15:10
Quote
As for having xxx in spades try to construct a hand where 4H will make and 4S will go down and partner Hearts are not so long/strong that he didnt bid a 4D COG.
It doesnt take a genius to know that
xxx
AKJxxx
A
Axx
facing a doubleton H might play better in 4H than in 4S.
To bid 4H and give up on 3Nt/4S is way too costly. Its very obvious to me that the risk of 4H not being the good spot is higher than the downside of playing 4S going down while 4H is making.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
#30
Posted 2009-August-23, 15:34
Cascade, on Aug 23 2009, 10:06 PM, said:
gwnn, on Aug 24 2009, 05:12 AM, said:
Someone has discovered a new gadget
Not sure what you're talking about. Just because I posted about something twice in less than 1 month does not mean that I learned something and will introduce them in every thread, appropriate or not.
Arend said:
Not sure if I agree with that. Partner can pass 3♠, for one. Also, partner will be in a bad spot if we can have anywhere between 5-2 and 7-0. Of course if partner has a COG available, it resolves some of these problems but I don't think all.
George Carlin
#31
Posted 2009-August-23, 17:27
benlessard, on Aug 23 2009, 06:14 PM, said:
Quote
Agree 100%
Quote
Quote
I am so sorry but most of us aren't that good that our meta agreements differ from these 2 sequences.
#32
Posted 2009-August-23, 17:45
gwnn, on Aug 23 2009, 08:14 PM, said:
This 4♦ would be a strong raise for me. That's the general rule at the 4+ level.
A cuebid below 3NT could be 2-way as I play. General force (aiming for 3NT or just COG) or a strong raise (hoping to be able to pull 3NT to 4 of partner's suit showing a slam try with genuine support).
#33
Posted 2009-August-23, 18:13
If partner think that we have game opposite 7-8 random balanced points - he should just have bid it. My hand is not much better than that
#34
Posted 2009-August-23, 19:00
bigmax, on Aug 24 2009, 12:13 AM, said:
If partner think that we have game opposite 7-8 random balanced points - he should just have bid it. My hand is not much better than that
So you think partner bid 3♥ to play?, the fact that you have 10 more HCP than you could doesn't make you worth a bid? wow.
#35
Posted 2009-August-23, 19:09
I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon
#36
Posted 2009-August-23, 19:41
I've already passed as dealer at Nil so partner won't play me for a weak 2 in spades (ie a strong 5c spade suit or better).
Strongly disagree with 4D, which should show a strong heart raise. You need to be able to differentiate between hands that have a REAL heart fit and weak hands (or hands that are pressured into raising on a doubleton).
#37
Posted 2009-August-23, 20:08
#38
Posted 2009-August-23, 22:22
Fluffy, on Aug 23 2009, 08:00 PM, said:
bigmax, on Aug 24 2009, 12:13 AM, said:
If partner think that we have game opposite 7-8 random balanced points - he should just have bid it. My hand is not much better than that
So you think partner bid 3♥ to play?, the fact that you have 10 more HCP than you could doesn't make you worth a bid? wow.
So you think that partner 3♥ shows 9 top tricks?
Do not remember where I read it , but this concept of bidding over preempt as if partner have 7-8 bal points worked well for me. Correspondinly responder should know that most of his points are already accounted for.
So pass NV, 3NT Vul
#39
Posted 2009-August-23, 22:36
bigmax, on Aug 24 2009, 11:22 AM, said:
Fluffy, on Aug 23 2009, 08:00 PM, said:
bigmax, on Aug 24 2009, 12:13 AM, said:
If partner think that we have game opposite 7-8 random balanced points - he should just have bid it. My hand is not much better than that
So you think partner bid 3♥ to play?, the fact that you have 10 more HCP than you could doesn't make you worth a bid? wow.
So you think that partner 3♥ shows 9 top tricks?
Do not remember where I read it , but this concept of bidding over preempt as if partner have 7-8 bal points worked well for me. Correspondinly responder should know that most of his points are already accounted for.
So pass NV, 3NT Vul
Want to play for money?
#40
Posted 2009-August-23, 22:51
yes , but is this really an argument?
Original problem score is IMP. Obviuosly money bridge overcalls ( and preempts for that matter) would be different.

Help
