BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - 2C sequence - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB - 2C sequence

#1 User is offline   nick_s 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 2007-December-06
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 2009-August-06, 07:56

Scoring: MP

(p) 2♣ (p) 2♦*
(X) 3♣ (3♦) X
(p) p (p)

* Waiting 2♥=double neg


EW are solid club players

Any blame here or a reasonable shot at MPs?
Result 3♦X - 3 for an average minus. The field is in 6♣ making.
Not an expert, just a student of the game
0

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-06, 08:08

N should probably force to slam over 3♣. His double is terrible. S should be happy to pass it (=penalty double in a GF situation) out, he could have less defence than this easily.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#3 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-August-06, 08:25

IMO just unlucky. Also I would not have opened 2♣ as this is not enough tricks for a minor suited 2♣ bid
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#4 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-August-06, 08:50

Double is wrong with four card support and an offensive value. I don't know I'd bid 4♣ since I would like to hear a 3♥ call by partner, so pass is appealing.

Not sure I would open the South hand 2♣ unless I had a method to find a four card major after 2♣ - 2♦ - 3♣...
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#5 User is offline   nick_s 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 2007-December-06
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 2009-August-06, 09:08

I think the 2♣ opening is ok because you need so little from pard to make game in a major. Qxxx xxx xxx xxx or xx xxxxx xxx xxx for instance. Of course getting there is another matter...
Not an expert, just a student of the game
0

#6 User is offline   bid_em_up 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,351
  • Joined: 2006-March-21
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 2009-August-06, 09:19

I think it is wrong to go headhunting when I haven't shown my great support for partner's suit.

100% North for making the penalty X.

I have no problem with the 2C opening.

Unlike Phil, I am not as concerned about uncovering a 4-4 major suit fit when we have already established what is at least a nine card fit (and quite likely ten+ cards) fit in the minor even considering that this is matchpoints and it is never a consideration at IMP's. With LHO doubling 2D showing a willingness to compete/sacrifice in diamonds and knowing we have a 9+ card fit in clubs, the odds are too great that LHO has a club void and will be trumping the opening club lead (if he can get one) when partner is declaring in 6H.

jmoo
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.
0

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-August-06, 09:58

It wouldn't occur to me to double on the North cards with 4-card support an 3 controls.

But that said, personally I'd be happy with +800 and amazed that is average minus given slam is on a finesse.
0

#8 User is offline   nigel_k 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,207
  • Joined: 2009-April-26
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wellington, NZ

Posted 2009-August-06, 14:37

I'm a little surprised that people are so willing to accept the 2♣ opening:

i) You need all the space you can get with this shape
ii) Since you'll be opening 1♣ you have a better chance that someone will bid
iii) If partner cannot respond, game might not make (though it probably will make a bit more than half the time)

As it happens, the 2♣ opening didn't contribute to the bad result. With four card support, an ace and a king opposite a 2♣ opening, North should realize that slam is highly likely to make and partner is equally highly likely to have short diamonds so 1100 is a long way off. Double could work but is anti-percentage and there's no need to take such a view when 6♣ should be an above average score.

North 100%.
0

#9 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-August-06, 18:09

FrancesHinden, on Aug 6 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

It wouldn't occur to me to double on the North cards with 4-card support an 3 controls.

But that said, personally I'd be happy with +800 and amazed that is average minus given slam is on a finesse.

bleh, Qxx of hearts on left and no unblock?
0

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-August-06, 18:28

Double of 3♦ is crazy.

I also prefer a 1♣ opening.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-August-07, 01:15

Jlall, on Aug 7 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

bleh, Qxx of hearts on left and no unblock?

And trumps 2-2. (If they're 3-1: draw trumps in three rounds, eliminate diamonds, three rounds of hearts, get forced with a fourth round of hearts; cross to dummy with the last trump; take a spade finesse; find spades 4-2. Oops.)

With trumps 3-1, the best you can do is to eliminate diamonds and either cash two top hearts before taking the spade finesse, catering LHO's having Qx xx in the majors; or leave hearts alone, catering for LHO's Qx QJx(x).

Whatever you get from the extra chances (elimination, singleton queen of spades, hearts coming in for no loser) is partly balanced by the times that the spade finesse is right, but clubs are 4-0 and you can't do anything with the long spade. Overall, the contract is probably slightly over 50%.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2009-August-07, 01:18

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users