BBO Discussion Forums: Pass or bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass or bid? Partner overcalls 4H

Poll: Is your hand worth a move? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Is your hand worth a move?

  1. Pass (2 votes [7.41%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.41%

  2. Bid (25 votes [92.59%])

    Percentage of vote: 92.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,717
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-July-29, 17:29

♠AKJxxx
♥xx
♦Axx
♣xx

IMPs, all white, LHO dealer.

(3♦) - 4♥ - (Pass)

What's your plan?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-July-29, 17:31

Partner JUMPED in Hearts

How the hell can you not bid?
I'd bid 6♥ before I passed
7♥ might be better than a pass
Alderaan delenda est
0

#3 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-July-29, 17:34

hrothgar, on Jul 29 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

Partner JUMPED in Hearts

How the hell can you not bid?

I agree. I'm guessing there is some UI involved in the actual problem and the objective of the thread is to determine whether pass is a logical alternative.
0

#4 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-29, 18:19

Agree with 6h
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,062
  • Joined: 2006-April-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rochester, NY

Posted 2009-July-29, 18:34

TimG, on Jul 29 2009, 07:34 PM, said:

I'm guessing there is some UI involved in the actual problem and the objective of the thread is to determine whether pass is a logical alternative.

The poll results will only be valid for that purpose if all the respondents are peers of the player who was in the hot seat. I suspect that's unlikely. :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
Our ultimate goal on defense is to know by trick two or three everyone's hand at the table. -- Mike777
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean
0

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-29, 18:47

TimG, on Jul 29 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

hrothgar, on Jul 29 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

Partner JUMPED in Hearts

How the hell can you not bid?

I agree. I'm guessing there is some UI involved in the actual problem and the objective of the thread is to determine whether pass is a logical alternative.

There is no UI if partner made a BIT, he might be too strong for 4♥ or have a 2 suiter or whatever. He should have touched a pass card for a UI to happen IMO (an UI that suggest a pass I mean), not very likelly.
0

#7 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-29, 21:13

I bid but I wouldn't be surprised if a diamond lead took out the entry to our source of tricks. Still, I'd bet the spade hook is working, wouldn't you?

6♥ seems like a good shot. I'll never know what I need for 7.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-30, 03:28

Instead of blasting 6 I would rather use KCBW, it will let us stay in 5 if 2 keycards are missing and also show to partner that we have 2 keycards, maybe that's all wich he needs.
0

#9 User is online   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,717
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-July-30, 07:48

♠Qx
♥AKQxxx
♦xx
♣AKx

Grand slam makes in either major (the spade grand is substantially better than the heart grand, as it does not require hearts 3-2).

The player holding this hand at the table passed. Push board when opponents at the other table played in 4♠ after a (mostly) unobstructed strong club auction. ;)
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:36

Phil, on Jul 30 2009, 03:13 PM, said:

I bid but I wouldn't be surprised if a diamond lead took out the entry to our source of tricks. Still, I'd bet the spade hook is working, wouldn't you?

6♥ seems like a good shot. I'll never know what I need for 7.

Why not try a cue-bid. Tell partner what you have got and you might tell her enough that she knows that there is a grand.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:42

Fluffy, on Jul 30 2009, 04:28 AM, said:

Instead of blasting 6 I would rather use KCBW, it will let us stay in 5 if 2 keycards are missing and also show to partner that we have 2 keycards, maybe that's all wich he needs.

Yeah, I don't understand 6♥. Sometimes partner has an 8-card suit with one keycard, sometimes he can bid 7.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#12 User is offline   billw55 

  • enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,757
  • Joined: 2009-July-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 10:00

5♦ sounds right to me. It's obviously a move toward slam and tells partner someting he needs to know.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users