BBO Discussion Forums: 1 level decision - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 level decision

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-28, 06:57

Kxx
AK1098xx
x
Kx


IMPs, NS vul, dealer north.

Pass-1♥
1♠-??
0

#2 User is offline   cRi cRi 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: 2006-September-18

Posted 2009-July-28, 06:59

3♥

7 card suit with AK and Kxx in my partner suit. IMP and VUL !
0

#3 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-28, 07:21

Who bid 1S Fluffy. partner or lho? If partner I bid 3H
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-July-28, 07:24

Ugly hand you could be cold for slam but hard to bid. I bid what I think we can make opp a min response 4♥
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#5 User is offline   cRi cRi 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 67
  • Joined: 2006-September-18

Posted 2009-July-28, 07:32

I dont think I can make 4♥ if part passes 3♥ exept the dream hand with 2 small ♥ and QJ♠ and Q♦. And ♥ to be divided 2-2.

4♥ is too much imho ... and I am junior B)
0

#6 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-July-28, 07:33

cRi cRi, on Jul 28 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

I dont think I can make 4♥ if part passes 3♥ exept the dream hand with 2 small ♥ and QJ♠ and Q♦. And ♥ to be divided 2-2.

4♥ is too much imho ... and I am junior B)

Agree with cRi cRi.
0

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-28, 07:59

I wasn't playing with my regular partner, but I was thinking I might bid 2NT with him (forcing for us althou normally 18/19 bal), to let him find the 5-3 spade fit or otherwise rectify to 4♥.

Add me the ♠J and I think I would had done it even with a pickup partner. partner being a passed hand protects you (not fully) from scary 5m or slam contracts.
0

#8 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-July-28, 08:49

cRi cRi, on Jul 28 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

I dont think I can make 4♥ if part passes 3♥ exept the dream hand with 2 small ♥ and QJ♠ and Q♦. And ♥ to be divided 2-2.

4♥ is too much imho ... and I am junior :)

then run a simulation I think you will find the results indicate that the 50% probability of making is reached

I am 50% to make 6♥ opposite
Axxxx
-
Axxx
AQxx
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#9 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-28, 08:57

pooltuna, on Jul 28 2009, 09:49 AM, said:

I am 50% to make 6♥ opposite
Axxxx
-
Axxx
AQxx

LOL at examples like this. How in the world does partner know that the ♣Q is helpful but the ♦Q isn't (as much)? And why are we stretching to bid 50% slams anyway? Even then, how does partner ever intelligently advance? 5♥ (over 4) certainly looks reasonable, but what kind of trump do I need to accept? There is a substantial difference between AQ 8th, AK empty 7th, and AKT9-7th.

I bid a very comfortable 3♥. It is neither an underbid, nor an overbid. While it isn't forcing (although some play it as such), it allows partner to cue 4m.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-28, 14:15

The_Hog, on Jul 29 2009, 01:21 AM, said:

Who bid 1S Fluffy. partner or lho? If partner I bid 3H

It wasn't clear to me either that this was an uncontested auction but everyone else seems to assume so. So ...

We play:

2NT shows six hearts without three spades and around 15/16+

3♥ show six hearts with three spades and around 15/16+ but limited

3NT shows six hearts with three spades unlimited

4♥ is like 3NT but more distribution so less inclined to hear partner pass 3NT

With seven hearts I would be happy to upgrade and bid 3♥ under this scheme.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-28, 14:15

pooltuna, on Jul 29 2009, 02:49 AM, said:

cRi cRi, on Jul 28 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

I dont think I can make 4♥ if part passes 3♥ exept the dream hand with 2 small ♥ and QJ♠ and Q♦. And ♥ to be divided 2-2.

4♥ is too much imho ... and I am junior :(

then run a simulation I think you will find the results indicate that the 50% probability of making is reached

I am 50% to make 6♥ opposite
Axxxx
-
Axxx
AQxx

Over a standard 4♥ I would expect my partner to drive to slam with much less.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-28, 14:22

3♥ for me, 4♥ is a little too romantic....
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#13 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-July-28, 14:28

pooltuna, on Jul 28 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

I am 50% to make 6♥ opposite
Axxxx
-
Axxx
AQxx

Congratulations, but partner is a passed hand...

I'd Gazzilli this one, easy to show a 3 card support and a strong hand :( Otherwise 3♥.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#14 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-July-28, 14:46

Free, on Jul 28 2009, 03:28 PM, said:

pooltuna, on Jul 28 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

I am 50% to make 6♥ opposite
Axxxx
-
Axxx
AQxx

Congratulations, but partner is a passed hand...

I'd Gazzilli this one, easy to show a 3 card support and a strong hand :( Otherwise 3♥.

Not a problem although I wasn't too much worried about slam but I will accept
AQxx
xxx
xxx
Axx
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#15 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-28, 16:15

Partner is not likely to have 3-card heart support. With the given 4333 hand, partner would (should) Drury.

I would just bid 3♥, since my 7-card suit is pretty good. With a worse suit, I might just bid 2♠.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users