BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#21 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-20, 10:51

gnasher, on Jul 20 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I've noticed before that I raise a minor-suit opening in competition more often than most on these forums.  What's wrong with this one - too few clubs, or too little high-card strength?

A little of both imo.

Edit: Also for the record I am admittedly sounder than almost everyone good after 1x-(1Y) when making negative doubles, raising minors, and bidding 1N. Would have guessed most would bid 2C with this hand.
0

#22 User is offline   nick_s 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 170
  • Joined: 2007-December-06
  • Location:Chicago, IL

Posted 2009-July-20, 10:56

gnasher, on Jul 20 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I've noticed before that I raise a minor-suit opening in competition more often than most on these forums. What's wrong with this one - too few clubs, or too little high-card strength?

Maybe because you play a weak NT?
Not an expert, just a student of the game
0

#23 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-20, 11:06

Jlall, on Jul 20 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

gnasher, on Jul 20 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

I've noticed before that I raise a minor-suit opening in competition more often than most on these forums.  What's wrong with this one - too few clubs, or too little high-card strength?

A little of both imo.

Edit: Also for the record I am admittedly sounder than almost everyone good after 1x-(1Y) when making negative doubles, raising minors, and bidding 1N. Would have guessed most would bid 2C with this hand.

I'm shocked to hear that because I make negative doubles at the 1 level very light, but I have seen you recommend negative doubles at the 2 level that would scare me.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#24 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,953
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-July-20, 11:59

Late to the thread... I agree with the initial pass and with a late round 4♣ call by north.... but only if our style is to open 1♦ with, say, 4=1=4=4, since in that case we have a reasonably safe inference that partner has 5 clubs. Opposite a chunky 4=1=3=5, which seems to be the most probable holding on the auction, this hand is too good to sell out to 3♥.

As for an immediate 2♣ raise, that seems to me to be way too dangerous except in a weak notrump situation. I don't know the odds of a balanced 15-17 compared to a distributional hand... especially mediated by the overcall which surely alters the odds given my heart length.... I would probably regret my raise opposite a balanced notrump hand anyway.

Last year, the raise on a similar hand (in that case 3=2=4=4 5 count) led to a slam missed at the other table after the initial pass. But we were playing a weak notrump method at the time.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users