BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#1 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-July-18, 23:36

Scoring: MP

All the x's are quite small


1♣ - (1♥) - P - (2♥)
Dbl - (3♥) - P - (P)
P

Whose fault for selling out? N, S, bad luck, or nothing wrong with the contract?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#2 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-19, 00:04

North has a clear bid.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#3 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-19, 00:18

I think Nth should bid 4C. South did as much as possible.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,161
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-19, 03:32

Hi,

over 1H North could have bid 2C, I am not sure bidding 2C
is matadory, but showing the likely fit is usually best.

If th partnership decided, that a direct raise showes more,
reasonable, than thats it, so all in all bad luck / normal
contract, I dont like to defend with 4m against 3M.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#5 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2009-July-19, 03:33

I would double 3h as south.
0

#6 User is offline   EricK 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,303
  • Joined: 2003-February-14
  • Location:England

Posted 2009-July-19, 03:45

The way I answer ATB problems like this is to look at the hands, read through the auction and see at which point I involuntarily say "huh?!" Using this highly scientific method (patent pending), I determine the blame lies with North.
0

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-19, 03:48

South has done all that he was put on this earth to do. With North's hand, I'd have bid 2♣ over 1♥. Having not done that, passing again over 3♥ seems very feeble; I'd have thought about bidding game.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#8 User is offline   zheddh 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 120
  • Joined: 2009-July-13
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-19, 04:00

i think 2C the first time is very obvious. Having passed that, I am not sure if i will bid over 3H
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's razor (by courtesy of hrothgar)
0

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-19, 04:53

2♣ or pass on the first round by North are both OK. I think the criticism of the failure to bid 2♣ over 1♥ is really double-dummy.

However, the failure to bid 4♣ is another matter. North really should bid the second time now that he knows that there is a real club fit.
0

#10 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-July-19, 05:32

Whatever blame there is (if any - sometimes 4♣ won't make) must go to North, not sure what more South is supposed to do.

I don't like the initial pass by North. As usual, describing and limiting one's hand as soon as possible makes the rest of the auction simpler. Having passed the first time, North has an unpleasant choice between passing 3♥ (forever suppressing primary support for partner) and bidding at the 4 level, vulnerable at MP, with a possibility of being doubled for -200. Perhaps he should bid 4♣ anyway, but 2♣ on the first round was surely clear.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#11 User is offline   hotShot 

  • Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,976
  • Joined: 2003-August-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-19, 06:31

When South is opening 1♣ and both opps bid ♥, than North can count:

South can't have more than 2♥, he does not have 5♠ and assuming an American style he should not have 4♦.
So South shape has to be 4234 or (more likely) 4135 ( or 4144 perhaps not playing American style).

While I agree with North first pass, bidding 4♣ should be considered and has a lot of appeal. Working points and shortness in ♠ are goodies.
0

#12 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-July-19, 07:33

Most probably nothing wrong with the contract, although if the issue is pushed too much I'd say South could double again.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#13 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-19, 07:48

I'm fine with 2♣ by North, however I personally would not bid it. 4♣ over 3♥ seems like a good bet though... South did all he could do, I blame North.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#14 User is offline   mcphee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,514
  • Joined: 2003-February-16

Posted 2009-July-19, 08:11

N is to shoulder complete blame here. I do not at all mind passing first time as I see no reason to get involved. Passing 3H however is not good at all and it is time to join in with 4C, with 5C a consideration.
0

#15 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-19, 10:57

I would not bid 2♣ with North looking at ♥xxx. But after South doubles 2♥ we know about a very likely nine card fit and no heart wastage, so I think North has a clear 4♣ call.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#16 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-July-19, 11:05

P_Marlowe, on Jul 19 2009, 04:32 AM, said:

over 1H North could have bid 2C, I am not sure bidding 2C
is matadory, but showing the likely fit is usually best.

I was thinking that bidding 2♣ might be asking to get gored, but North must grab the bull by the horns and bid 4♣. North needs to show some cape-ability.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#17 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-July-19, 13:20

Love the first pass by north. Hate the second pass by north. Sure you could get owned if partner is 4234 18-19 and you bid 4C, but it's way more likely when the opps bid 3H they don't have no points and 8 hearts, and instead partner has 4135.
0

#18 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-19, 15:08

Bidding 2♣ over 1♥ looks really bad to me. I'd never do that, clear pass IMO.

Over 3♥ it's entirely different. Now north has a very clear 4♣ bid, in fact, I'd bid 4♣ with a tad less.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#19 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-20, 09:41

If North responds 2♣, I bet the final contract would be 3♥x at least as often as 4♣.

I'll go with blaming North at his second call.
0

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-20, 10:50

I've noticed before that I raise a minor-suit opening in competition more often than most on these forums. What's wrong with this one - too few clubs, or too little high-card strength?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users