BBO Discussion Forums: Sit down in a JEC Match - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sit down in a JEC Match Hand 8, Feb 2.... board 21

Poll: What spade do you play to trick 3. (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What spade do you play to trick 3.

  1. King (1 votes [8.33%])

    Percentage of vote: 8.33%

  2. Nine (6 votes [50.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  3. Three (5 votes [41.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-03, 08:49

Scoring: IMP

1♣=(1♦)=1NT=2(HE)
all pass

T1. N♣K-2-5-4
T2. N♦K!-A-6-7
T3. E♠4-?


The bidding went the same way at both tables, the play, however, was very different.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-03, 15:50

Lets say at the outset I love this hand.

Can we assume A from AK here? I will for this analysis, otherwise it goes out the window.

Pard is no doubt looking at KQx of clubs. He has an auto continue with KQJ or KQJx. He clearly has Kx of diamonds, so he's 4-4 in the majors and declarer is 3=5=2=3.

The low spade looks very desperate to me. Clearly our spades are 4 pard, 3 me, so I suppose declarer is somewhat board locked at T2 and would like to lead up to the ♥J.

Partner should have the ♠Q, otherwise declarer's heart suit is really lousy. So ducking looks obvious. I expect pard to win the spade, send a diamond to me, club through, and we'll take 2♣, 1♦, 2♠ and probably two hearts.

I can't see any reason to play the 9 here if my inferences are right.

Even if declarer has the Q♠, I don't have much to worry about. In time, we should be able to take 1♠, 1♦, 2♣ and probably 3 hearts, since partner should have the ♥AQ.

There is one other possibility - that partner shifted to the ♦K from KJx catering for me to hold ♦Txxx, but this unlikely and I don't see how it affects my defense.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#3 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-04, 04:39

My honest answer is that at the table I'd play ♠3 without much thought. I agree with Phil that I'd place partner with the ♠Q and there is no hurry in the spade suit.

However, as this is a problem hand, I can think of a reason for putting up the ♠9. It is possible for declarer to have ♠8xx. If the 9 holds, I can play clubs right away. When I win later with the ♠K, I can cash the ♦Q (if partner's ♣Q has not yet cashed, then low ♣ and win ♦ return with Q) and play a 3rd round of diamonds to promote partner's trumps.
0

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-04, 17:27

sorry... at the table, the club king was lead from AK, not sure what their usual agreement is, but that is what the lead was from.
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users