BBO Discussion Forums: Sit down in a JEC Match - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sit down in a JEC Match Hand 9, Feb 2, board 24

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 14,566
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amelia Island, FL
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2009-July-03, 09:20

This one I had trouble making up my mind how to show it. Should it be a bidding question for East (who is obviously long in hearts and short in diamonds) or a play question for South.

Here we will place the ball directly in your court.

Your opponents do play unusual 2NT.

1♥-2♦-2♠-P
3♥-4♣-4♥-ALL PASS

T1. ♣K-A-7-J
T2. ♥A-2-7-♣2
T3. ♥4-3-8-♦4
T4. ♥K-♠3-♠5=♥6
T5. ♥Q-♣T-♠6-♥9

Plan your play.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-05, 07:39

I can't figure this one out. The play to trick 5 (discard of ♣10) looks odd. I wonder if West found an odd/brilliant bid of 4♣ with KT2
0

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-05, 08:06

West bid 4♣, so we know he has at least four. I agree with your first two sentences though.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-July-05, 08:19

I would have played a diamond off dummy at trick 2, planning (eventually) to ruff a diamond in dummy. If LHO is 0265 he can get two rounds of trumps played and stop this, but it doesn't feel as if it is going to hurt.

(More to the point, RHO can discard on the first diamond, ruff second and play a trump, ruff the third and play a trump. But he might not think of all of this, to put it mildly.)
0

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-July-05, 11:17

FrancesHinden, on Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

I would have played a diamond off dummy at trick 2, planning (eventually) to ruff a diamond in dummy. If LHO is 0265 he can get two rounds of trumps played and stop this, but it doesn't feel as if it is going to hurt.

If LHO is 0265, you can make make by drawing trumps and playing diamonds towards dummy twice.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users