BBO Discussion Forums: 6/7/8 baggers and throw in a void - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6/7/8 baggers and throw in a void I raise the Question how to suceed

#21 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-03, 15:17

pirate22, on Jul 3 2009, 12:40 PM, said:

opps are curious so do not usually interfere until later regards

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#22 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-03, 15:27

Coward phil :) prefer swords at Dawn:) ill plead the 5th ammendment
regards
0

#23 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-03, 18:11

I'm not the argumentative type and since I frankly couldn't be bothered doing the lot in 1 go, I'll post the first one I can find now.

Scoring: XIMP


It's not hard to see the slam is poor. After partner (north) opens a 15-17 1NT, I have a decision on how to treat this. I decide to bid 4♦ texas, and after some surprising interference by my RHO after partner bids 4♥, things get competitive and I try my chances in 6♥ after 5♠ got doubled by my partner (technically criminal but wierd things happen when you have a 9 bagger).

The main question is how to get there when North's king is in a black suit or the ♠A is infact the ♦A.


NB As it was, West made the mistake of coming down to 2 clubs on the 8th heart to let the contract through and so 6HX was made. Traveller is here
Wayne Somerville
0

#24 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-04, 14:31

an interesting hand submitted but not conducive to |Norman responses,but let me ask if the 9 bagger was the opener,let me ask the question what would you open? again not suitable for a 2cl opener,but-----------and even if you did, one would go of the scale--3h=2 points either 2 aces/4 k/1A and 2k-- so the reply would be, 4cl -3 &1/2 points ( cannot happen responder knows you do not have a genuine 2cl opener) and what would pard be thinking with 15 points,and you opening 2cl-and if you opened 4 hts?

coming back to the opener with 9 hts---I would be inclined to pass,someone is going to open,surprise/surprise pass pass pard opens 1n/t,and you are back to square one the 3 small club's are a worry however you are assured of game possibly + 1 or hopefully +2 when pard x 5sp (all non vul)
The ball is in your hands :unsure: so 6hts it is, and you scrambled it well done

Not the type of hand for Modified Norman responses regards
0

#25 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-July-05, 22:37

pirate22, on Jul 4 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

coming back to the opener with 9 hts---I would be inclined to pass

LOL
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#26 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-09, 10:03

You are EAST vuln/non bidding S pass

you hold AJ3--7--AKQ8752--A3 assume you open 1D N pass---Partrner 1spade

South 4cl-your bid??


Having made your bid???

wests hand KQ108642--AJ53--Void--106
Should we bid to 7/6/5? ,methods plse regards
0

#27 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-25, 13:45

no answers yet--- so propose 2cl opener pass 2n/t bid by pard(norman specifically 1 Ace &1 K) assume 4 cl comes in- 4d-then, 4 spades by pard,the 2cl opener now has to think, he knows pard has A hts-what quality r the spades,responder may have a ht suit the fact that he has not bid must show a 5 card spade suit so on at worst a finnese in spades but as is np
over 4d pard also has option of bidding 4 n/t,so spade is and must have length
regards
0

#28 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-31, 17:09

hand 26 bbo match all vuln---west dealer#

you hold 2-KQ2-KQJ108643-A west passes -your opening bid

pards hand AQJ5-1083-A-KJ1087

F gitlelmen went down 1 path--------opps went another path tortuous:)

what does the 9 bagger need to know,can one get bounced ?

FG solved the problem pass 4n/t(asking to bid specific aces)if responder has 1 he bids the suit,if its ace cl he bids 6cl-as was the case resp had 2 so shld bid 5n/t,but FG pard responded 5hts even more old fashioned showing reg blackwood 2 aces,FG closed out in 6diamonds tick.

other team pass -- 1d(?) -- pass--1n/t
2h(?) " 2s
3c(?) " 3d!
4c " 4h
5d 6d
this took 6 mins to bid out,how perilous,but opener showed his pard his hand was
1/3/7/2 and strong---------no one asked for kings they had no machinery.
now i raise "Modified Norman" i come back to what does the opener need to know

so 2cl requires responder for A/K ace 1 point k is 1/2 point responder bids
3spades=2 1/2 points yes it can happen opener has a simple decision,he knows his pard has 2 aces np now which king? he is still not worried 6 n/t is cold whichever k he has and oprner is not worried which ace is missing-------as it is teams,opener can fall back on 6 diamods ((((((((((((((( regards
but 6n/t is cold on any defence
0

#29 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 17:41

what exactly are you trying to say? can you summarize as succinctly as possible, please?
OK
bed
0

#30 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 17:43

pirate22, a few examples that aren't "I need 2 cards for slam" might be useful for your case. Note that most people wouldn't open 2C with any of your examples. But to add to your distributional collection, here's one I picked up tonight playing in the local congress' Open Pairs.

Scoring: MP


I was sitting North and went a little chicken:
3NT(i)-(X)-5C(ii)-P
P-(X)-AP

(i) Gambling, no outside A/K
(ii) Pass or Correct
I thought long and hard before deciding to take the low road.
I nearly redoubled as well, but was worried about how much they were making in spades. A friendly trick 1 led to +2 for a near top.


FWIW with the hand you just posted, with no special agreements it would go:
1D-1S
3C-4C
4D-4S
4NT-5C
6D.

Yes 7 is cold if the 3 keycards are the 3 aces.

If playing 4NT as specific ace ask, it would go 4NT-5NT-6D
Wayne Somerville
0

#31 User is offline   pooltuna 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,814
  • Joined: 2009-July-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Orleans

Posted 2009-July-31, 18:28

unless you have specific agreements to find the ♦K just bid 6♥ you are at ~55% to make
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw
0

#32 User is offline   pirate22 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 638
  • Joined: 2008-November-06
  • Location:asia at present time now HK time
  • Interests:Bridge- scuba-natural sex,no porn:)<br> Associate member I.B.P.A. workaholic

Posted 2009-July-31, 20:22

"manudude" ty for your bagger,and as this lowest suit its not conducive to "Mod Norman" and not a 2cl opener(unless one wants to walk the dog) but it has merits,the opener assumes that 5cl is par for the course hence one would open 1cl and possibly get bounced,or open 5cl,or as he did 3n/t.

to repeat for another contributor " jjbrr " succintly as foloows black gerber RKCB all types and other slam initiators there is "Norman" but modified using alongside with another of ones choosing.
M N one uses when one has a bagger or a 2/3 suited hand,to include a low suit void

an ace-1 point a King = 1/2 a point
so if partner chooses to open 2cl he has a bagger or 2 suited hand and responder responds as follows 2d--2h--2s--2n/t----3c--3d---3h--3s---3n/t
2d=0--2h=1K-2s=1A-2n/t=1A&1K-3c- 2K-3d=3K-3h=2 points(2A or 1A+2K or 4K)

3s= 2 1/2 points
3n/t=3 points
and the replies do happen what im suggesting it is a good aid without disrupting ones overall system,having used it for a number of years,with a better than 80%
success--I never recorded the sucesses,nor the calamities,they were what motivated me, to Modified Norman,however i am now recording hands for future,printing. with the help of contributors thank you all
0

#33 User is offline   jjbrr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,525
  • Joined: 2009-March-30
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-01, 13:12

Maybe I misunderstood your example. But the pairs at both tables were able to find a slam at teams using other methods, one of which used regular, old-fashioned blackwood? If slam can be reached using BW, may i ask wtp?

this convention only has benefits for a hand you get maybe once in a lifetime and is awful anytime you open a normal 2♣ and just want to bid to the right strain/level from the right side of the table. the only treatment worse than this, maybe, is devising a convention to ask partner how many cards he has in his hand, with the first step being 13 and the next steps being 12, 14, and so on. and even this might be better than MN because at least the opponents wont know what dummy has!
OK
bed
0

#34 User is offline   Little Kid 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 323
  • Joined: 2008-May-26
  • Location:London
  • Interests:Genetic Engineering, Squash, Languages, Travelling, Table Tennis, Movies, Judo, Swimming, Scuba Diving, Climbing...

Posted 2009-August-02, 15:35

@ Pirate 22: After having read just over 2 pages of this thread I still am not sure what is going on. Would it be possible to phrase the posts so that other people can read them without having to go through too much trouble to decipher them? Everything just seems a little chaotic and I think you would get more responses if you made an attempt to clarify what your views for other readers. Don't take this the wrong way, it is just some friendly advice as I doubt I am the only person who has trouble following your strain of thought ;)
♣ Veni, vidi, proficisci ♣
0

#35 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-02, 15:50

I think it is possible to draw good inferences from the replies he's getting. I think...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users