BBO Discussion Forums: Odd hand at MPs - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Odd hand at MPs

Poll: Odd hand at MPs (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Odd hand at MPs

  1. 2H (9 votes [25.71%])

    Percentage of vote: 25.71%

  2. 2S (25 votes [71.43%])

    Percentage of vote: 71.43%

  3. 2N (1 votes [2.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 2.86%

  4. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:00

♠AQxx
♥Q7xxxx
♦KQ
♣A

MPs, NV

1♥ - 1N (F1)
?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:10

I am downgrading this hand, but it is still worth a reverse, so don't see the alternative to 2♠.
0

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:29

2NT (sorry everyone whom I may have offended). It looks like the closest description of my hand. If I weren't so enamoured with these fancy 2NT bids I'd bid 2♠. Not ever 2h.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:34

The hand is a good hand, but the heart suit is not appropriate for a jump to 3♥. I am going to bid 2♠. This is not a game force, so it seems the most appropriate bid on my cards.

If 2♠ is game forcing in whatever methods you play, you should have some other way to handle an intermediate spade-heart 2 suiter with longer hearts.
0

#5 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-July-30, 11:44

2♥.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#6 User is offline   NickRW 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,951
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sussex, England

Posted 2009-July-30, 12:18

2♠. Even allowing for very poor honour structure and even allowing for the fact that I'm a Brit and used to reversing lighter than much of the rest of the world, I still can't downgrade this enough to justify a weak bid.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.
0

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-July-30, 12:44

Probably 2♠.

I also don't mind Csaba's suggestion of 2NT.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#8 User is offline   TylerE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,778
  • Joined: 2006-January-30

Posted 2009-July-30, 12:51

I like 2NT also. Likely right-sides the contract. What do we hope to gain by bidding 2♠ here? It's not like we can have a fit there. Bidding 2NT is also more likely to attract a spade lead against 3N, which certainly isn't a bad thing.
0

#9 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-July-30, 14:47

2♥.

Looks like we'll have huge communication problems in 3NT, the most likely spot if I rebid 2♠ or 2NT. And I don't like my hand that much either.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#10 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-July-30, 14:54

I would bid 2♠. I considered 2♥ and 2NT.

I don't like 2NT, because it precludes reaching 3♣ (if that's what partner wanted to do) and it may preclude 3♦ if you don't have a system to reach there.

That leaves me with 2♥ or 2♠ and I like the idea of showing 9 of my cards, even if it's an overbid because of the scattered honors.

I can live with 2♥ though.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#11 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-July-30, 22:18

Yuck. Meh oh well, I'm bidding 2♠. If I were to bid 2NT I don't see why I shouldn't bid 2♠ first. After all, partner can still have a doubleton heart right?
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#12 User is offline   mcphee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,514
  • Joined: 2003-February-16

Posted 2009-July-31, 07:36

Normally I am aggressive and love 6-4 hands, yet this one brings a little fear. I mean this is one very crummy H suit and the S reverse, right on values, may land me in a poor spot. I am not so sure I want to start the shove toward a game unless partner can act over 2H, this is pairs after all, and plus is the name of the tune.

Granted there are many helpful hands partner could have that are minimum and suitable enough to give game a shot. Assuming however you have partner respond 2N to the reverse how happy are you going to be to re-bid 3H now to show your minimum reverse? When partner raises to game holding Jxx Jx Jxx KQxxx I wish you good fortune, and pray you do not hear dble. While this 8 count is very poor fitting, 4H could go 2 or 3 down on a bad day. On the other side of the coin even holding only 2 trumps partner is permitted to raise H with just 2 with a more suitable 9 or so and might even be able to bid 2N.

Mark me down for a 2H call and take the plus. Nice pairs problem.
0

#13 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 13:31

2♥. Partner already denied 4 pieces ♠. If it was ♥ AQxxxx and worthless singleton ♣ then I would bid 3♥. I would like to bid 2♠ with 5-5 M and with self sufficient suit values.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#14 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-31, 15:26

This was the underbid of the century, but I chose 2♥. Pard flopped KJx, xx, Jxxxx, Qxx - I think. I was +140 which seemed like a pretty good board.

KFay played a silly 3N that happened to roll home :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#15 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 20:24

I wonder what people here would bid with same deal if the auction went :

Uncontested
1♥>1♠
?

Contested
1♥  p  1♠  2♣/♦
?
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#16 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-31, 21:17

H_KARLUK, on Jul 31 2009, 09:24 PM, said:

I wonder what people here would bid with same deal if the auction went :

Uncontested
1♥>1♠
?

Contested
1♥  p  1♠  2♣/♦
?

3♠?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#17 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-July-31, 21:42

For both sequences ? Are you sure ? I do not see game going values. If the matter is rolling a dice - uh oh!
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#18 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-31, 23:15

2S for me. The hand is too good for a simple 2H, and the H suit is too poor for 3H.
I also don't mind 2NT that much.

To answer Hamdi's question - both hands would bid an obvious 3S over 1S. This is NOT a gf.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#19 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,239
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-August-01, 00:40

Phil, on Jul 30 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

♠AQxx
♥Q7xxxx
♦KQ
♣A

MPs, NV

1♥ - 1N (F1)
?

2s



gross overbid


2h is fine if rothstone but I doubt we are playing that.
0

#20 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-August-01, 02:25

Maybe I shouldn't ask...

Hamdi what kind of system do you play if you think

1h-1s
3s

is game forcing?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users