BBO Discussion Forums: What the &*%# is going on here? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What the &*%# is going on here?

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-03, 19:29

How do you interpret this auction? LOL

1♥ - 3♣ - P - P
3♦ - 3♠ - P - 4♠
5♦ - P - 5♥ - 5♠
P - P - 6♥ - 6♠
X - All Pass

Wth is going on here? Can you construct any hands that fit this auction?

(Result at the time was -1)
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-03, 19:58

Let's think of it one hand at a time.

Dealer: Most likely some extreme red suiter (say 1660, 12-7-7-13 remaining)

2nd seat: Some extreme and weak black suiter (say 5017, 7-7-6-6 remaining)

3rd seat: Probably a fairly weak hand with club length and doesnt want to bid hearts first due to fear of getting taken for 500 (say 2425, 5-3-4-1 remaining)

4th seat: Hand has most of the points in spades, can't see much defence to 6♥ and was initially walking the dog (5341)

This makes me think of a hand such as:



I'm not saying the bidding would be correct, but seems like the most sane construction I can think of.
Wayne Somerville
0

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-June-04, 03:23

Something like Wayne(Manudude)'s example, but I South's bidding seems inconsistent. He passes over 3♠ and then bids hearts twice voluntarily later.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#4 User is offline   wclass___ 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 431
  • Joined: 2008-November-02

Posted 2009-June-04, 06:45

Maybe E-W had agreed that they play michales 3♣=5♣+5♠+ NF as suggested in Revision club.
And West forgot the meaning, but after 3♠ remembered...
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab
0

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-June-04, 06:52

If I held

x
AKJxxx
AKTxxx
---

I wouldn't rebid 3♦ at my second turn to bid - I would rebid 4♦ - maybe 5♦. Even 6♦ is not unreasonable. So the North hand cannot be this strong or this distributional - one or the other.

This hand is a favorite for 12 tricks opposite xxx xxxx xxxx xx.
0

#6 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-June-04, 10:38

ArtK78, on Jun 4 2009, 07:52 AM, said:

This hand is a favorite for 12 tricks opposite xxx xxxx xxxx xx.

Don't play me for the perfect 0-count partner, I never have it.

(I completely agree with your point of course)
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-04, 10:49

I realise what you are saying about the N hand being way too strong for 3D(honestly, I agree), but I can't think of a single hand which has just got better when its become more likely partner is nearly broke, which makes me think he just underbid (quite severely) the first time.

I also admit that south's actions are pretty strange (the passing 3S part anyway). The "voluntary" heart bids might not be so voluntary though, 5H would be a simple preference, then read N's pass of 5S as forcing and so bid 6H with no defence.

ps. I wouldn't pass 3D with xxx xxxx xxxx xx.
Wayne Somerville
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users