BBO Discussion Forums: Balanced with extras - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balanced with extras

Poll: what? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

what?

  1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. double (19 votes [73.08%])

    Percentage of vote: 73.08%

  3. 3C (5 votes [19.23%])

    Percentage of vote: 19.23%

  4. 3H (2 votes [7.69%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-June-02, 21:50

Scoring: IMP

1♦ (2♠) ?

"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#2 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-June-02, 22:23

Pass and double are both unreasonable, and since I am never passing out 3N by partner, I'll start with 3♣. If they crowd our auction with 4♠, I think 3♣ is about as good a start as 3♥ on average.
0

#3 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-June-02, 22:36

Double gives you the best chance of finding one of the rounded suit fits.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-June-02, 23:04

This depends on your style for double? (and 3♣ etc)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-June-03, 03:05

Not easy at all. I don't think I can pass and I don't like double. That leaves overbids of 3♥ or 3♣. I think 3♥ is better.

I'll have a problem if pard bids 3NT (maybe I follow up with 5♣, maybe not), but I'll be quite ok opposite any other occurrance.
0

#6 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-June-03, 03:13

Double leaves me with a problem if pd rebids ♦ or NT.

So I prefer to overbid and GF with this hand , hoping to cath a fit for one of my suits (and hopefully some aces...). Once I made that decision I prefer 3♣ to 3♥ , since I am not passing 3NT anyway , and starting with 3♣ gives me better chances to locate my best fit.
0

#7 User is offline   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,227
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-03, 03:17

cherdanno, on Jun 2 2009, 10:50 PM, said:

Scoring: IMP

1♦ (2♠) ?

3c
0

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-June-03, 03:48

Dbl. Now suppose p bids 3NT, I bid 4♣ and claim that shows this exact hand, but maybe a slammish 2434 would have bid the same way. Even so I think it offers us the best chance of landing on our feet.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#9 User is offline   Flameous 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 475
  • Joined: 2008-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oulu, Finland
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2009-June-03, 04:11

I don't dare to double, I bet p will pass it or something. 3C is my poison.
0

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-03, 05:12

Maybe 4♣ should be Leaping Michaels?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-June-03, 05:44

gnasher, on Jun 3 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

Maybe 4♣ should be Leaping Michaels?

Maybe, but fit-showing jumps are sacred on this forum.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#12 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-June-03, 09:38

Believe it or not, with one partner I play transfer lebensohl in this auction. I still wouldn't know what to do!
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-03, 10:56

In one partnership I too play transfers here, but this doesn't look like any of the examples I had in mind when we agreed it.

I can bid 3♥, invitational (3♦ would be competitive or game-forcing), or I can transfer to one of my suits and then bid the other, game-forcing but not a particularly accurate description.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-June-04, 14:59

gnasher, on Jun 3 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

Maybe 4♣ should be Leaping Michaels?

We play leaping Michaels in this sort of auction.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-05, 12:16

3♥, very ugly, but at least my guess on the next round will not be as bad (I think) as if I had chosen another action now.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users