BBO Discussion Forums: Another unusual situation - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another unusual situation

#1 User is offline   ron 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 2003-July-15

Posted 2009-May-24, 20:07

Scoring: IMP


Swiss teams. RHO deals and opens 2♠, alerted as natural and forcing to game. What is your plan with this hand?
0

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2009-May-24, 20:11

I'm not creative today, I'm just bidding 5 clubs.
Chris Gibson
0

#3 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-24, 20:51

I don't think I've playing against a strong two since I was 7 years old... I'm bidding 5♣.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-24, 21:07

Double then clubs is a bit obscure, 3 clubs then double would be a more balanced hand, 3 clubs tehn 5 clubs sounds stupid.

I join the 5♣ then double chorus (I hope you are all doubling next).
0

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-24, 21:31

He forced me to game so I bid game - 5♣.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-24, 21:32

mtvesuvius, on May 25 2009, 02:51 PM, said:

I don't think I've playing against a strong two since I was 7 years old... I'm bidding 5♣.

Did I miss your birthday ;)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-26, 13:13

5♣ for me too. Seems pretty obvious.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-27, 03:51

2♠ 5♣ pass pass
??

now opener is gonna be so annoyed with this he's gonna forget to double and bid 5♠ out of rage. Only to go down :)
0

#9 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-27, 12:21

This hand would have been more interesting after a weak 2S opening.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#10 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-May-27, 12:30

Unlike others I do see the problem here. It looks like 5♣ is going down and we have good chances to beat 4♠.

The problem is RHO might easily just have 8 spades and 2 bullets. I'll make him guess at 5♠ then pass and hope to beat him.
Kevin Fay
0

#11 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-27, 12:40

Saying something is clear doesn't mean you don't see the problem with it!
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#12 User is offline   ron 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 2003-July-15

Posted 2009-May-30, 12:53

Thanks for your replies.

The full hand is too amusing to not post:

Scoring: IMP

0

#13 User is offline   jmc 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 256
  • Joined: 2006-March-24

Posted 2009-May-31, 09:30

In ACBL land I believe its illegal to psyche artificial strong forcing bids. Can one psyche natural strong forcing bids? Can we claim damage if E really forgot his agreements? What a brilliant fix by E if not.

jmc
0

#14 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-31, 13:52

ron, on May 30 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

Thanks for your replies.

The full hand is too amusing to not post:

Scoring: IMP

I would be SCREAMING for the cops after this one.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#15 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-31, 13:54

Of course it is not illegal to open a strong 2S bid with that hand.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#16 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-31, 13:55

Phil, on May 31 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

ron, on May 30 2009, 01:53 PM, said:

Thanks for your replies.

The full hand is too amusing to not post:

Dealer: East
Vul: None
Scoring: IMP
♠ KJ
♥ AQTxxxx
♦ JTxx
♣  
♠ xxx
♥ xx
♦ Qxxx
♣ xxxx
♠ AQTxxxxx
♥ x
♦ xx
♣ Ax
♠  
♥ KJx
♦ AKx
♣ KQJTxxx
 

I would be SCREAMING for the cops after this one.

LOL
0

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-May-31, 15:54

Forget the cops. I already know what the director will say (in ACBL). "Anyone who still uses strong two's is not likely to know what one looks like." You are on your own.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users