BBO Discussion Forums: Unusual situation - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unusual situation

#21 User is offline   PFormaini 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2009-May-20

Posted 2009-May-23, 17:23

The 15-card example was a mistake - which, of course, cannot be edited. :D

Most here know that.

Again:

1. Partner may have values that translate to a game or slam for your side.

2. You know absolutely nothing about RHOs hand.

3. You know absolutely nothing about LHOs hand.

4. You make a preemptive bid with what may be the strongest hand at the table.

And you think *I* am not a good partner? :)

Sorry. I will bid the hand slowly - learning what I can about the opponents hands - perhaps inviting partner into the bidding if the auction permits (and it very well may, permitting us to bid our laydown 3NT instead of going down in 5♣. Or in bidding our club (or diamond) slam.

Or I will consult partner and possibly get a plus score by DOUBLING THE OPPONENTS in 6♠ or 6♦.

Or - as is possible, I will defeat the OPPONENTS in 3NY (and Yes, I have seen opponents reach 3NT on such hands - often. Amazing how many people take a chance on 3NT with 10 x x as a 'stopper' - or on the chance the suit will not be led.)

But what I will NOT do is pretend that I have any idea what I am doing by bidding an inane 5♣ with absolutely nothing to go on. A bid that tells partner precisely NOTHING about my hand. As opposed to a 5♣ bid on:

♠ x x
♥ -
♦ x x
♣K Q J 10 9 7 6 5 3

Which tells partner I have no defensive values, a long and broken club suit - and permits HIM/HER to make a rational decision based on BOTH hands.

Old fashioned, I know. But effective.
0

#22 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-23, 17:53

Quote

1. Partner may have values that translate to a game or slam for your side.


Maybe, but you're never going to find out with any confidence (chances of p having a heart stop are almost non-existent)

Quote

2. You know absolutely nothing about RHOs hand.

3. You know absolutely nothing about LHOs hand.


Does that mean you will never pre-empt in first seat? Afterall you don't know anything about LHO's and RHO's hand.

Quote

4. You make a preemptive bid with what may be the strongest hand at the table.


Occasionally jumping to game doesn't need to be weak. Would you stay low with AKQTxxx x AJxx x opposite a passed hand?

Quote

Or I will consult partner and possibly get a plus score by DOUBLING THE OPPONENTS in 6♠ or 6♦.


Given some of the hands you think are 2♣ openers, what's to say slam isn't making? Surely it is better to bid 5♣ to improve the chances of them going to slam off 2 key cards?

Quote

Or - as is possible, I will defeat the OPPONENTS in 3NY (and Yes, I have seen opponents reach 3NT on such hands - often. Amazing how many people take a chance on 3NT with 10 x x as a 'stopper' - or on the chance the suit will not be led.)


I thought we had aleady established the the 2♣ opener is very distributional, any 3NTers here would have to be blind followers of Hamman's rule.

Quote

Old fashioned, I know. But effective.


Old fashioned? maybe. Effective? LOL

If after all this, you still don't realise how powerful pre-empts can be, I would advise you to play some more against competent opps and read some more of the bidding problems here on the forums (at least a quarter of them are to do with pre-empts)
Wayne Somerville
0

#23 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-23, 18:34

PFormaini, on May 23 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

Again:

This is the problem. You make the same points over and over, but no one was convinced before, so....

Quote

1. Partner may have values that translate to a game or slam for your side.

You keep saying slam, but that's utterly ridiculous to cater to. As for game, good thing I bid it!

Quote

2. You know absolutely nothing about RHOs hand.

3. You know absolutely nothing about LHOs hand.

How can you not see that it's more relevant RHO and LHO don't know anything about each other's hands, yet you are going to let them easily find out instead of preventing them from finding out?

Quote

4. You make a preemptive bid with what may be the strongest hand at the table.

Who cares what you call it? And why are you worried about a 2♣ opener on a 16 count?

Quote

And you think *I* am not a good partner?  :D

No, what I said was that passing a bunch of times has nothing to do with partnership bridge, and that it was funny to claim it does when you are forgetting to focus on the other partnership.

Quote

Sorry. I will bid the hand slowly - learning what I can about the opponents hands - perhaps inviting partner into the bidding if the auction permits (and it very well may, permitting us to bid our laydown 3NT instead of going down in 5♣. Or in bidding our club (or diamond) slam.

You keep making these general arguments that mean nothing. How will you invite partner into the auction, what will the auction be exactly? How will the auction go that lets you bid 3NT if it's making? And why are you so focused on slam, your partner is broke or nearly broke, it's plain as day.

Quote

Or I will consult partner and possibly get a plus score by DOUBLING THE OPPONENTS in 6♠ or 6♦.

But don't you see? Against you the opponents will have a nice quiet unimpeded auction to the correct contract, they won't get too high. Against a 5♣ overcall they have to guess and may well get too high.

Quote

Or - as is possible, I will defeat the OPPONENTS in 3NY (and Yes, I have seen opponents reach 3NT on such hands - often. Amazing how many people take a chance on 3NT with 10 x x as a 'stopper' - or on the chance the suit will not be led.)

Lol. You have 2 cards in the majors, and the opponents have a combined 23 at most, and you are going to sit there because they might reach 3NT with a suit unstopped? Are you even being serious?

Quote

But what I will NOT do is pretend that I have any idea what I am doing by bidding an inane 5♣ with absolutely nothing to go on. A bid that tells partner precisely NOTHING about my hand. As opposed to a 5♣ bid on:

♠ x x
♥ -
♦ x x
♣K Q J 10 9 7 6 5 3

Which tells partner I have no defensive values, a long and broken club suit - and permits HIM/HER to make a rational decision based on BOTH hands.

Again, who cares what you tell your broke partner? Please show me the auction where it is so crucial he knows what you have? You keep saying that, and ignoring that the opponents will know what they have too. Which is a more important concern?

Quote

Old fashioned, I know. But effective.

If you say so. Convince anyone yet?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#24 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-23, 18:35

5♣.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#25 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-23, 18:49

EVERY time partner PASSES we learn MORE and MORE, it's amazing! Maybe we'll have figured out that he has 13 CARDS by the time the opponents have had a leisurely auction up to their comfortable SLAM in 6♥.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-24, 21:41

I think RHO is another weak player who thinks AKQJxxxxx is a 2♣ opener.

I can see no alternative to 5♣, maybe 6♣ to put more pressure on the joker.
0

#27 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-25, 02:39

So anybody who had played for his country in an open team event and contributed to this thread bids 5 ♣.

So maybe, just maybe this obvious choice has some merrits even for lesser players like you and me....
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#28 User is offline   Gerben42 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 5,577
  • Joined: 2005-March-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Erlangen, Germany
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-May-25, 02:46

Quote

So anybody who had played for his country in an open team event and contributed to this thread bids 5 ♣.


Never mind that, I'm going to bid 2♥ :)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck
0

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-May-25, 05:18

But you didn't play for YOUR country Gerben lol, you did it for another one B)
0

#30 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-25, 07:51

Agree that 3 or 4♣ doesn't bother RHO much. Pass is not my style so I'll just bid 5♣.

Ofc, this can go -500 against a failing 4♥, but that's life.
0

#31 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2009-May-25, 12:32

Codo, on May 25 2009, 01:39 AM, said:

So anybody who had played for his country in an open team event and contributed to this thread bids 5 ♣.

So maybe, just maybe this obvious choice has some merrits even for lesser players like you and me....

Clee bid 4 clubs, I think he represented the US in international play in Beijing.
Chris Gibson
0

#32 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-25, 19:53

5c
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users