BBO Discussion Forums: Pushed them up - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pushed them up

#1 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-19, 00:00

Q10xx
x
Jxx
AK10xx

White against red, LHO deals. IMPs.

(2H) - p - (4H) - 4S
(p) - p - (5H) - p
(p) - ??

You may not agree with the earlier passes, comments are very welcome. If you can stand my bidding this far, what would you do now?
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#2 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-May-19, 00:02

Double was beyond obvious at my first turn. I would bid 5♠ now I suppose, but it would have been nice to describe my hand at a more convenient level.
0

#3 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-19, 00:36

most obvious 5S bid ever
0

#4 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-May-19, 00:53

Would also have doubled in the first round. And now I will bid 5S.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#5 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-19, 01:18

I don't mind passing first round.

Bidding 5 Spade will lose when 10 tricks for both sides is the limit. May happen, but still a 5 spade bid.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#6 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-May-19, 01:57

Am I the only one who would have bid over partner's 4S bid?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-19, 03:24

Maybe. Anyway, 5♠ now :)

I'd probably have doubled 2♥ :)
0

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-May-19, 03:58

The five-level belongs to us. Don't feel strongly about you first pass. Your 2nd pass would be interesting to discuss with p. With this hand I would rather double first than invite slam over 4♠, but with a less ideal shape for double (say 2-6 minors with thin clubs) maybe I should invite slam despite having passed over 2♥.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#9 User is offline   zhams 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 2008-June-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:china,Hubei,wuhan

  Posted 2009-May-19, 04:35

this hand is more better than normal,6♠ is at least.
0

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-19, 06:20

IMP's. Equity. Insurance. 5♠.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#11 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-19, 07:06

5♠ for sure
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#12 User is offline   MarkDean 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Location:Pleasanton, CA, US

Posted 2009-May-19, 08:09

I agree with the first two passes, (I would strongly disagree with bidding the second time). I don't think this call is obvious: many of the constructions I come up with have both 5 level contracts down, but I would bid 5♠.
0

#13 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-19, 09:25

Clear double round 1 and have an easy 5♠ now.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#14 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-19, 11:41

I'd have doubled the first time and passed the second.

At IMPs, 5♠ is a must now.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#15 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-19, 12:00

Thanks for the responses. At the table 5SX went for 300 while 5H would have been down 2. Of course we both agreed that 5S was clear, but my partner said he would have doubled 2H. He had AJxxxx x xxxx xx, clubs split 3-3, Kx of spades onside.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-19, 12:08

I really hate your partner's bid, it's a wtp pass. But still I admit it's a bit lucky 4♥ goes down.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#17 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-May-20, 19:22

Han, with whom were you playing, a pu partner? 4S is an awful bid.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#18 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-20, 19:41

The_Hog, on May 19 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

Am I the only one who would have bid over partner's 4S bid?

No
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Posts: 6,772
  • Joined: 2003-July-22
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2009-May-20, 19:43

hanp, on May 20 2009, 06:00 AM, said:

Thanks for the responses. At the table 5SX went for 300 while 5H would have been down 2. Of course we both agreed that 5S was clear, but my partner said he would have doubled 2H. He had AJxxxx x xxxx xx, clubs split 3-3, Kx of spades onside.

When did the standard drop for four-level overcalls to below what we need to open a weak two?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   PFormaini 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 137
  • Joined: 2009-May-20

Posted 2009-May-20, 21:23

Would also have bid over 4♥.

Bid 5♠ now. Not even close to a double or a pass. Would consider bidding 6♠.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users