BBO Discussion Forums: Hard times - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard times Bidding

Poll: Overcall (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Overcall

  1. 1D (10 votes [90.91%])

    Percentage of vote: 90.91%

  2. 1H (1 votes [9.09%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.09%

  3. DBL (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:38

Scoring: IMP

P P 1♣
Whatever you call North passes and your partner bids 1♠. What's your rebid and why?

We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#2 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:47

Hmm. I would pass 1♣.
Michael Askgaard
0

#3 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:50

I pass 1♣ as well (I wonder why that's not a poll option.) Usually I will get to double spades on the next round. When partner balances with 1♠ I'll try 2NT.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,165
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:51

Hi,

I would have passed.

Assuming I dont find a Pass card, some claim,
that happens more often, I would go with 1D.

Over 1S from p, I can bid 1NT, which showes
my hand pretty well.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#5 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2008-December-30, 17:54

After 1♣ pp 1♠ it is 1NT or 2NT. With my regular partner, I would bid 1NT, since we open 1♠ light in a precision context. Playing standard I would let partner's opening style decide.
Michael Askgaard
0

#6 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,269
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-30, 18:07

I'll try one d, pass is close.
Now I will rebid 2nt over partner's free bid of one spade over my 1d bid.
0

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-December-31, 05:21

If I read this right, I might try 1♦ over 1♣, and then 1NT over pard's 1♠.
0

#8 User is offline   brianshark 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 895
  • Joined: 2006-May-13
  • Location:Dublin
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-December-31, 05:39

Pass then 2NT shows a ~14 count with short spades and stoppers.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2008-December-31, 07:24

agree with Nuno.

To brian: Do you mean 2NT can't have 2 spades?
0

#10 User is offline   brianshark 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 895
  • Joined: 2006-May-13
  • Location:Dublin
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2008-December-31, 08:34

It can have 2. Sorry, by short I mean not 3+ card support. Bad choice of words. :P
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
0

#11 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2008-December-31, 09:32

pass is kibd of obvious to me and now I cannot bid 2 NT with my regular partner, because this would be a spade raise. So I go with 2 Club followed by 2 NT to show this hand.
With a pick up, I pass and bid 2 NT later.
In a "you must bid anytime you have 12+ HCPs tourney," I had invent a 1 Diamond call.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#12 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2008-December-31, 11:30

I'm a passer here
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-December-31, 12:45

jdonn, on Dec 30 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

I pass 1♣ as well (I wonder why that's not a poll option.) Usually I will get to double spades on the next round. When partner balances with 1♠ I'll try 2NT.

me 2
0

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,960
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2008-December-31, 13:02

FrancesHinden, on Dec 31 2008, 01:45 PM, said:

jdonn, on Dec 30 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

I pass 1♣ as well (I wonder why that's not a poll option.) Usually I will get to double spades on the next round. When partner balances with 1♠ I'll try 2NT.

me 2

me 3

As to why: despite the misfit, we have strong positional values, and, absent an unlikely spade lead, if partner can raise to game, we will be able to play the hand almost double-dummy. RHO is not only subject to finesses, but also very vulnerable to end-game positions.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#15 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2008-December-31, 22:41

H_KARLUK, on Dec 30 2008, 06:38 PM, said:

Scoring: IMP

P P 1♣
Whatever you call North passes and your partner bids 1♠. What's your rebid and why?
IMO
  • Over RHO's 1♣, 1♦ = 10, _P = 9, 1♥ = 5.
  • After partner's 1♠, 1N = 10, _P = 6

0

#16 User is offline   kgr 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2003-April-11

Posted 2009-January-01, 06:11

Pass
(With my regular partner I play that 1NT here shows H and D and I would bid that...This method is giving a solution for all hands that are difficult to bid otherwise....but it probably gives issues for all hands that are easy otherwise :) )
Bridge Single Dummy Program: https://github.com/k...eDummy/releases
0

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-January-01, 14:03

I'm getting in the lead director while I can do so cheaply - 1D. I will bid 1N over 1S.

If I pass the auction can easily be at 2S or even 3S next time it back to me.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#18 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-01, 14:34

Winstonm, on Jan 1 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

I'm getting in the lead director while I can do so cheaply - 1D. I will bid 1N over 1S.

If I pass the auction can easily be at 2S or even 3S next time it back to me.

I want it to be at 2♠ when it comes back to me so I can double. That is the ideal situation.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,289
  • Joined: 2005-January-08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tulsa, Oklahoma
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-January-01, 14:49

jdonn, on Jan 1 2009, 03:34 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Jan 1 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

I'm getting in the lead director while I can do so cheaply - 1D.  I will bid 1N over 1S.

If I pass the auction can easily be at 2S or even 3S next time it back to me.

I want it to be at 2♠ when it comes back to me so I can double. That is the ideal situation.

I have a problem grasping your internal logic - in another thread you wanted to keep the bidding open because the advantage to limited openings is in competition and disrupting the opponents, yet now in another thread you sit and wait until the 3-level, after the opponents have demonstrated their hands strengths and fits, to get involved.

Is this kind of like Alice in Wonderland - a word (in this case idea) means just what I say it means and no more?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
0

#20 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-01, 15:24

You do seem to have trouble grasping the logic. :) But you clearly misunderstood my point in the other thread. In particular I was saying, it is NOT the advantage of limited openings that you get to pass the opening bid on stronger hands than in standard. Even if Shenken said it was. The advantage I referred to had nothing to do with the auction given in the problem, which was exactly my point.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users