BBO Discussion Forums: Choice - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choice

Poll: Accept or decline? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Accept or decline?

  1. Let's go (2 votes [12.50%])

    Percentage of vote: 12.50%

  2. Pass (14 votes [87.50%])

    Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-31, 10:33

Scoring: IMP

p  1♣  P  1♥  
p  1♠  p   2♦
p  2NT  P  4NT  
P  ?

2♦ *FSF
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#2 User is offline   dcvetkov 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 260
  • Joined: 2005-September-19
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Interests:bridge, swimming, tennis

Posted 2008-December-31, 11:35

Pass

I think we dont have many obvious source of tricks and it will be strugle to make 12 tricks, unless partner has 19 points which I doubt it. With stronger spots in clubs or 5 card suit maybe its closer
[COLOR=blue] aka Dimitar
0

#3 User is offline   dake50 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,211
  • Joined: 2006-April-22

Posted 2008-December-31, 12:04

Partner invites slam. What is wrong with my hand? Have minimum as shown. Have tops in suits I bid. Go.
0

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-31, 12:13

dake50, on Dec 31 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Partner invites slam. What is wrong with my hand? Have minimum as shown. Have tops in suits I bid. Go.

You never showed a minimum, you hold a minimum, and the hand is completely unexciting. I think this is a very easy pass.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#5 User is offline   dcvetkov 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 260
  • Joined: 2005-September-19
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Interests:bridge, swimming, tennis

Posted 2008-December-31, 12:24

jdonn, on Dec 31 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

dake50, on Dec 31 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Partner invites slam. What is wrong with my hand? Have minimum as shown. Have tops in suits I bid.  Go.

You never showed a minimum, you hold a minimum, and the hand is completely unexciting. I think this is a very easy pass.

I knew that Josh has a better way of putting it together with less words then me;)
[COLOR=blue] aka Dimitar
0

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-31, 12:28

dcvetkov, on Dec 31 2008, 01:24 PM, said:

jdonn, on Dec 31 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

dake50, on Dec 31 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Partner invites slam. What is wrong with my hand? Have minimum as shown. Have tops in suits I bid.  Go.

You never showed a minimum, you hold a minimum, and the hand is completely unexciting. I think this is a very easy pass.

I knew that Josh has a better way of putting it together with less words then me;)

I've been working on brevity. :)
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#7 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-31, 13:47

 
Scoring: IMP


Not intervened
1♣    1♥
1♠     2♦
2NT  4NT
All Pass
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,960
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2008-December-31, 13:51

dake50, on Dec 31 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Partner invites slam. What is wrong with my hand? Have minimum as shown. Have tops in suits I bid.  Go.

had you rebid 1N over 1♥, thus limiting your hand to 12-14, balanced, you could then rightly argue that this is a near maximum (I like the spade 10) and go.

But you didn't... your bidding is entirely consistent with stronger hands.. thus a 4=2=2=5 15 count... yes, some matchpoint fanatics open all semi-balanced 15 counts via 1N, but very few good imps players do: AKJx xx Kx KQxxx... I would have bid this exactly as the auction went, and now I'd accept. Or you could hold a 15 count 4135, as another possibility.

Therefore, in the context of your auction to date, you are minimum, not maximum.

I'm a lawyer... historically lawyers were paid by the word... so while brevity is the soul of wit, lawyers tend to be witless :)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2008-December-31, 15:53

some people play that 2NT is not forcing, if that's the case this is not an obvious minimum.
0

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-31, 16:00

Fluffy, on Dec 31 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

some people play that 2NT is not forcing, if that's the case this is not an obvious minimum.

Perhaps, but the actual hand suggests that agreement was not in place as clearly responder is not worth 4NT opposite a non-forcing 2NT.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#11 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-01, 14:29

Isn't it obvious that 2 NT showed 12-14 and 4 NT 18-19?

The agrrement seems easy too understand. So you have a non minimum, the hand could be even worse, but you are much farer away from a maximum,so this is an easy pass.

I had never bid 4 NT with the north hand. Opposite a 12-14 NT with no fit no five card suit and max. 32 HCPS slam is against the odds and a simple 3 NT is more then enough. Partner will make it.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users