BBO Discussion Forums: Skill Level - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skill Level

Poll: Over 1 diamond? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Over 1 diamond?

1. Pass (doublers are nuts) (27 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. Pass (but double is reasonable) (25 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Double (but pass is OK too) (12 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

4. Double (passers are wusses) (11 votes [14.67%])

Percentage of vote: 14.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-September-02, 08:26

More about partnership "trust".

Do you need to "operate" or can you trust partner to know to do what is "right" under the circumstances. That is why bridge is such a partnership game and why so many go down in flames when one feels the need to discount the other member of the pair.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#42 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 09:22

Whatever your call is, it's hardly "totally obvious"

#43 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 09:25

The_Hog, on Sep 2 2008, 05:10 AM, said:

Totally obvious pass for me. I think double is not a good call unless you specifically play italian style t/o doubles. I think the "wusses" play bridge, others thow the die and let them land where they will.

It's a good game, you know, when you win on 1 2 3 or 4 and lose on 5 or 6. But some people are too scared to take any risk at all to know a positive expectation when they are looking at it.

I don't expect the discussion to convince anyone of much. After all, look how many 1NT bidders there are! Clearly the opinions of a crowd are to be taken with a grain of salt.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#44 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-September-02, 09:34

jdonn, on Sep 2 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

Totally obvious pass for me. I think double is not a good call unless you specifically play italian style t/o doubles. I think the "wusses" play bridge, others thow the die and let them land where they will.

It's a good game, you know, when you win on 1 2 3 or 4 and lose on 5 or 6. But some people are too scared to take any risk at all to know a positive expectation when they are looking at it.

I don't expect the discussion to convince anyone of much. After all, look how many 1NT bidders there are! Clearly the opinions of a crowd are to be taken with a grain of salt.

We're in the water cooler now, right?

This is just standard macho posturing. Some people are so scared of appearing to be girlie feeble bidders with no balls, that they would rather make an insanely agressive call with negative expectation than the technically correct pass.

#45 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-September-02, 09:39

FrancesHinden, on Sep 2 2008, 10:34 AM, said:

jdonn, on Sep 2 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

We're in the water cooler now, right?

This is just standard macho posturing. Some people are so scared of appearing to be girlie feeble bidders with no balls, that they would rather make an insanely agressive call with negative expectation than the technically correct pass.

If you are going to start insulting people who weren't even talking to you completely out of the blue, it would probably be more polite to have actually posted your opinion in the thread already, lest people think this was the only reason you came.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#46 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2008-September-02, 09:40

Frances for president :angry:

But the fear of being classified as not having (whatever body part one associates with risk-willingness) if passing is irrational: Someone said that bidding is dangerous but passing is more dangerous. Obviously this depends on the situation.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#47 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-September-02, 10:18

Ever since Garozzo jumped on my bandwagon, "pass" has picked up a lot of traction in the poll.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#48 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-September-02, 10:21

jdonn, on Sep 2 2008, 10:25 AM, said:

Depending, of course, on how much you're gaining on 1-4, and how much you're losing on 5 & 6.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#49 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:52

"meo-r-o-w-r"!! (vain attempt at making the cat-fight sound)

But I like the passion that can be expressed either way. If everything was cut and dried then it would be "Go fish!" wouldn't it?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users