BBO Discussion Forums: two work collegues come to dinner - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

two work collegues come to dinner

#1 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-September-02, 11:52

hi two work collegues come to dinner, one is your boss, after a pleasant night everyone goes home, the next day a lot of money is missing, what advice would you give to the host whos money has gone missing and he does not know how to approach the issue

#2 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 11:58

I guess it'd have to be an awful lot to be an issue and then I'd phone the police. I wouldn't immediately assume it was a guest without more evidence than timing.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:02

The advice I would give to your friend is to keep your stuff locked up, or at least out of plain view.

"Knock, knock, uh, hi boss, you didn't by chance pick up 1,000 quid by accident when you were over at my house did you?"

Yeah, right.

If the boss is a klepto, then these tendencies will rear their head in another circumstance. Later if there's money missing from the cash drawer at work, then you might bring up this matter with your with the person above your boss.

(Just read Matt's post).

I suppose if we were talking about a sum where I wouldn't care if I lost my job if I got it back, then I might call the cops.
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:13

I believe the sum we are talking about is in the four figures, he would not say exactly how much, I never aksed, but I am aware that he usually carries a fair bit of money at all times in cash, this is well known amongst his work collegues, that is part of the nature of what he does, it was there at the start of the evening and he is adamant no one but him and his wife and the two guests were there. the amount whilst, I consider it a lot and would be very angry, he is more annoyed about the fact it is gone and who could have taken it, rather than the loss of the missing money.

I told him to put it down to experience, I do not think it is worth the hassle, that that can come from, people at work finding out he has involved the police, I also told him next time he has to entertain these two, use a restaraunt.

also, the money was apparently in a drawer out of site, both guests during the evening were alone in the room

The issue my friend has, is one of trust with his boss or his work collegue, how do you resolve this issue, who do you trust after this

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:20

sceptic, on Sep 2 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

I believe the sum we are talking about is in the four figures, he would not say exactly how much, I never aksed, but I am aware that he usually carries a fair bit of money at all times in cash, this is well known amongst his work collegues, that is part of the nature of what he does, it was there at the start of the evening and he is adamant no one but him and his wife and the two guests were there. the amount whilst, I consider it a lot and would be very angry, he is more annoyed about the fact it is gone and who could have taken it, rather than the loss of the missing money.

I told him to put it down to experience, I do not think it is worth the hassle, that that can come from, people at work finding out he has involved the police, I also told him next time he has to entertain these two, use a restaraunt.

also, the money was apparently in a drawer out of site, both guests during the evening were alone in the room

The issue my friend has, is one of trust with his boss or his work collegue, how do you resolve this issue, who do you trust after this

Wait 3-4 monthes

Hold another dinner party

Install a spycam in the room
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:27

ask the wife?

see who buys the new car? remodels their home? goes to vegas?

#7 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:27

hrothgar, on Sep 2 2008, 01:20 PM, said:

Wait 3-4 monthes

Second this.

I may be a horrible person, but I'll do things like lock valuables in my car (or have a neighbor hold on to them) while I have contractors at my house.

It's not exactly that I don't trust them, as that I feel it's wrong to tempt others.

#8 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:32

matmat, on Sep 2 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

ask the wife?

see who buys the new car? remodels their home? goes to vegas?

not that much money, which is the oddest thing, he is 100% sure there is no other explanation, neither his boss or collegue appears to be short of money, but I have found people do not always appear what they are on the face of things, so one could not be financially stable, who knows

#9 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:44

jtfanclub, on Sep 2 2008, 10:27 AM, said:

hrothgar, on Sep 2 2008, 01:20 PM, said:

Wait 3-4 monthes

Second this.

I may be a horrible person, but I'll do things like lock valuables in my car (or have a neighbor hold on to them) while I have contractors at my house.

It's not exactly that I don't trust them, as that I feel it's wrong to tempt others.

"Locks only keep the honest people out"

Sher can elaborate on loss prevention.
"Phil" on BBO

#10 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 12:57

Anyone that would steal from their host is likely immune to guilt-tripping or being caught twice in the same situation.

So, I embezzle (obviously) the money from the boss in case its him and I rob the house of the other guest of a similar amount.

Whoever doesn't mention the new theft is the guilty party.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#11 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-02, 13:14

Al_U_Card, on Sep 2 2008, 06:57 PM, said:

Anyone that would steal from their host is likely immune to guilt-tripping or being caught twice in the same situation.

So, I embezzle (obviously) the money from the boss in case its him and I rob the house of the other guest of a similar amount.

Whoever doesn't mention the new theft is the guilty party.

I am sure that has some merit B)

#12 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-September-03, 16:59

Good idea Al.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users