BBO Discussion Forums: Prove me wrong - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prove me wrong

Poll: Over 5C (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Over 5C

1. Double (36 votes [59.02%])

Percentage of vote: 59.02%

2. 5 Spades (21 votes [34.43%])

Percentage of vote: 34.43%

3. I would have bid 4S the first time (4 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-April-29, 11:23

ArtK78, on Apr 28 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

Much too good to overcall the first time.  Besides, you can handle any response from partner.

Have to double 5.  If we play in 5x, I would be surprised if they made it, but I have been surprised before.

True as far as it goes, but with the club void is it at all hard to imagine opponents bidding 5 to put you to a guess at the 5-level? I think the chance of missing slam is less likely than being outbid in clubs when you show strength by doubling. 4 puts the enemy on a guess where the cards are.

If they bid 5 over my ostensible preempt, I will double them. This will clue my partner in that I bid 4 to make, so he will have some useful data in deciding between 5 and pass. He will bid 6 on some perfectos that he wouldn't be sure about not knowing about my spade length: this will compensate for some of the time we won't get to a red suit when we should.

Consider also that responder may not bid 5 when his partner has not had a chance to show real clubs. Even if we have slam, 4 making 6 will outscore anything we can get defending clubs.

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-April-29, 13:29

pclayton, on Apr 29 2008, 10:10 AM, said:

3. I figured at worse I'd be turning a +200 (if I doubled) into a -200 when I bid 5 (and got x'd). If either 5 was wrapping and /or 5 is, bidding on is a huge gain. Again, +500 against 5 just seems very remote to me with a hand this offensive.

-200 instead of +200 is a 9 IMP loss. -200 instead of -600 is a 9 IMP gain, and +650 instead of -200 is a 10 IMP gain, so I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

In any case, I think the odds that I have to play hearts by myself when I bid 5 are too big (when partner doesn't have an entry). In that case bidding may turn +500 into -500.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-April-29, 13:39

pclayton, on Apr 29 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

1. The opponents are vulnerable. Do you really think you are getting this -2 very often? Frankly if you trust your opponents, I think -2 is less likely than =.

Phil you seem to always find the worst time to apply this. LHO is bidding as a save. He is likely just weak and shapely. There's no reason to think he will not go down 2. Red/red opponents can bid as a save with 5 clubs and a stiff and not much else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes that's right, they can bid just as aggressively as white/white opponents!!!!!!!!!!! This rule is really only applicable in auctions where they are red/white and it would not even be that applicable in this auction since they just have a big fit and some shape. You really think that in this auction your LHO could not have bid 5C with a 5-5 near-yarborough and a spade void knowing you have 10+ spades and they have 11+ clubs? Come on. Even if he EXPECTS to go down 3 a fair amount of time it is a good bid (especially against you).

Please do not use this rule anymore to justify decisions to go to the 5 level because every time I have seen you use it on the forums it has been in a very silly context. If it was white/white you would double because the opps are non vulnerable lol?

#24 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-April-29, 13:41

Yeah, but they are vulnerable.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#25 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2008-April-29, 14:24

mikestar, on Apr 29 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

ArtK78, on Apr 28 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

Much too good to overcall the first time.  Besides, you can handle any response from partner.

Have to double 5.  If we play in 5x, I would be surprised if they made it, but I have been surprised before.

True as far as it goes, but with the club void is it at all hard to imagine opponents bidding 5 to put you to a guess at the 5-level? I think the chance of missing slam is less likely than being outbid in clubs when you show strength by doubling. 4 puts the enemy on a guess where the cards are.

If they bid 5 over my ostensible preempt, I will double them. This will clue my partner in that I bid 4 to make, so he will have some useful data in deciding between 5 and pass. He will bid 6 on some perfectos that he wouldn't be sure about not knowing about my spade length: this will compensate for some of the time we won't get to a red suit when we should.

Consider also that responder may not bid 5 when his partner has not had a chance to show real clubs. Even if we have slam, 4 making 6 will outscore anything we can get defending clubs.

I really do not expect that my next opportunity to bid will be at the 5 level when I have a hand this good at both vul, even with the club void.

As for bidding 4 first and doubling 5 when that comes back to me, I think it gives an impression of a truly one-suited hand rather than the 3-suited hand that I have. A typical hand for 4 followed by double would be something like:

AKQTxxx
KQx
Ax
x

The message that I try to convey with this sequence is that I bid 4 to make, not that I have a penalty double of 5. Partner will understand that while my spades are very strong, they may not take too many tricks on defense against 5 and will act accordingly.

While the double followed by double sequence on the hand given in this thread will certainly not reveal my powerful spade suit, it is not the type of spade suit that I would intend to show by bidding 4 first and then doubling.

#26 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-April-29, 22:30

Wow.

Phil you seem to always find the worst time to apply this. LHO is bidding as a save.

RHO is saving here.

He is likely just weak and shapely. There's no reason to think he will not go down 2.

Generalizations, generalizations, generalizations. Give me a hand! Show me why 5 is going -2, especially when 5 isn't making, since this is the best argument for doubling. Construct some logical hands for RHO and I will show you why I think 5 is right.

Red/red opponents can bid as a save with 5 clubs and a stiff and not much else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....You really think that in this auction your LHO could not have bid 5C with a 5-5 near-yarborough and a spade void knowing you have 10+ spades and they have 11+ clubs?

Too many exclamation points to count. Are you making an advance save on a 1=4=3=5 bust? That really looks rich to me, especially when the opponents haven't bid game yet. I think RHO is 5-5 here and LHO is a lock to hold 6 clubs. So, lets count:

Pard has two clubs. Pard has three to five hearts (and when he has 5, LHO isn't getting a ruff). That leaves six to eight cards in the pointed's. When pard holds 4 spades, we are an overwhelming favorite to make 5. +500 against 5? No way.

When pard holds 3 spades, 5 diamonds and a yarb (OK I need a diamond better than the 9), we are still cold, as long as spades aren't 4-0. 5 looks to be a likely -1 or -2 here, with us getting 1, 1 and 1 or 2's . I'd say -1 / -2 is equally likely here.

I'm really discounting pard to hold 2 / 6's. As long as pard has some useful card, this hand takes a 2 call over 2.

In short, the EV for bidding is looking really good over doubling.

Please do not use this rule anymore to justify decisions to go to the 5 level because every time I have seen you use it on the forums it has been in a very silly context (snip) Even if he EXPECTS to go down 3 a fair amount of time it is a good bid (especially against you).

I think I'll throw the ad hominem flag on this one. I don't really care if you disagree, but don't refer to call someone else silly, or imply that I am making bad calls.

Give me another hand where I advocated this. The one Roger doubled 5 and traded 800 for 1430 or 2210? Yeah, guilty.

I probably bid too much at the five level. I'll agree with that, and I'm sure you could dredge up some examples over the past three years where I have on here. I'd like to think my high level judgment has improved over the past several years, but I don't think this hand or Roger's is a good example of a hand not to bid on.

By the way, I gave this hand to Chris Larsen. Some of you might respect his opinions and some of you might not but no one is going to disagree that he is a damn good player. He thought it was close between 5 and 6. I thought 6 was really, really excessive, since you will frequently be facing a yarb, and he ended up agreeing, but he thought double was something that never crossed his mind. But if someone like Chris is thinking six is the right bid, then how far off the mark is five? And to totally discount a double? I told him to poll some of his friends, and I'll report back.

By the way, he chuckled when he gave him pard's hand. He said "+1430, right again" :rolleyes:
"Phil" on BBO

#27 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-April-29, 22:32

cherdano, on Apr 29 2008, 11:29 AM, said:

-200 instead of +200 is a 9 IMP loss. -200 instead of -600 is a 9 IMP gain, and +650 instead of -200 is a 10 IMP gain, so I am not sure what you are trying to say here.

Arend what I am saying is that we are losing nine IMPs in one specific scenario. In two others the loss is about the same.
"Phil" on BBO

#28 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2008-April-29, 22:58

Lol, Phil you are beyond hope and I'm not referring to your bridge. Good luck.

#29 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:20

Phil I really expect better out of you than posting as one of those who already has their mind made up and refuses to be swayed by a clear consensus to the contrary. It's not like it's just Justin, it's almost everyone! So your answer is to explain why the opposite is still right, peanut gallery be damned?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#30 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:31

From my reading, Phil is arguing the bridge merits and not just refusing to listen to anybody. Note that he said he was going to explain why he felt bidding 5 was right. I don't really want to get involved with the bridge argument. I obviously respect the game of most of the posters involved. But I think some of you are being unduly harsh on him.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#31 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:37

jdonn, on Apr 29 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Phil I really expect better out of you than posting as one of those who already has their mind made up and refuses to be swayed by a clear consensus to the contrary. It's not like it's just Justin, it's almost everyone! So your answer is to explain why the opposite is still right, peanut gallery be damned?

I don't understand this. Shouldn't we debate why something is right or wrong. Sure it could be obvious to you, but it might not be obvious to everyone. I don't see the harm in making a case. Sure it might be torn apart, but I certainly learn from it when I make an argument and a better player tells me why I am wrong. It's certainly more constructive than "the majority says you're wrong, isn't that enough?"
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#32 User is offline   jchiu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:39

Flame war!

#33 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:41

Jlall, on Apr 29 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

Lol, Phil you are beyond hope and I'm not referring to your bridge. Good luck.

Thanks. If my bridge was beyond hope, I'd be feeling pretty crappy right now.
"Phil" on BBO

#34 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:43

Ch00 you bid like my grandmother.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#35 User is offline   jchiu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:44

han, on Apr 30 2008, 05:43 AM, said:

Ch00 you bid like my grandmother.

Oh yeah??? You play cards like the rueful rabbit!

#36 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:49

Echognome, on Apr 30 2008, 12:31 AM, said:

From my reading, Phil is arguing the bridge merits and not just refusing to listen to anybody. Note that he said he was going to explain why he felt bidding 5 was right. I don't really want to get involved with the bridge argument. I obviously respect the game of most of the posters involved. But I think some of you are being unduly harsh on him.

Saying "don't imply that I am making bad calls" on a bridge forum is very LOL. I know he is your partner but come on.

Saying "trust your vulnerable opponents" (a saying which he got from this forum, and has since constantly misused) when they are saving at red/red is LOL. I am sorry that I felt the need to point this out. Do you also trust your white/white opponents when they are saving? There is almost not difference in a red/red save and a white/white save.

Trust your vulnerable opponents means when they are red and you are white and you've shown great strength (and thus partner is marked with weakness) and they STILL bid at say, the 5 level, they probably have the goods. This does not apply to someone who opens 4S red/white, or any other nonsense.

Phil does not seem to know what an ad hominem attack is. I gave a reason why his usage of this is wrong, and the context he used it in is silly. That is not an ad hominem attack. In no place at that time did I imply that Phil was wrong because he was Phil. That would be an ad hominem attack: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ad_hominem

Phil has no problem using Appeals to authority (Chris Larsen). Ok fine. We can do that to. Phil, as an authority on bridge I can tell you that you will beat them 2 a lot on this auction. Ok? Probably not with him, but when it suits him (ie when an authority agrees with him) it seems to be fine.

Phil never replied to the main point of my post, which is that he does not understand the concept of "trust your vulnerable opponents" which was my only point. He instead tried things such as "RHO saved" when I said LHO saved. That is a very relevant point, thank you for fixing my typo Phil.

As far as bridge goes, he didnt really offer up anything new. He thinks that we will make a lot of the time, and they will go down 1 a lot of the time. I think we will make most but not all of the time, and they will go down 2 a lot of the time. Nothing much was added to this.

His assertation that partner having 4 spades makes them less likely to go down 2 is silly; it just means we are cashing more diamonds. Phil, because I say your point is silly, that is not an ad hominem attack.

#37 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:51

Echognome, on Apr 30 2008, 12:37 AM, said:

I don't understand this. Shouldn't we debate why something is right or wrong. Sure it could be obvious to you, but it might not be obvious to everyone. I don't see the harm in making a case. Sure it might be torn apart, but I certainly learn from it when I make an argument and a better player tells me why I am wrong. It's certainly more constructive than "the majority says you're wrong, isn't that enough?"

You don't seem to get it.

Phil has made it clear that he does not want to learn anything, he would rather teach us what the correct bid is here. He asks us (ok me) not to imply he is making an incorrect bid. How can we even debate a point if thats what he wants? This is not an uncommon occurance.

As far as the debate it once again just comes down to what your expectation of RHO's hand is. I think it's very likely he is 5-5 in which case you will usually cash 3 pointed suit tricks (unless LHO is stiff in RHO's doubleton). You will probably also get a heart trick. I think it's also quite likely that RHO is 6-4 in which case it's unclear how many they will make. It's possible partners 3 trumps will give them problems. This is all assuming partner has no other defense. He could easily have a heart card and/or club card. I think 544 is another possible and likely shape for RHO to just blast. I think 5431 is not that likely. I think 4441 is not that likely. These hands are certainly possible though with a stiff spade and it would be a good bid since they know their LHO has a hand too strong to overcall 1S and can easily exploit that. How likely those hands are depends on the quality of opps. I think 6-5 is also possible, and not good for us.

That is the crux of it, you just have to judge how often which of the above is occurring. That is bridge. I just think that the argument "trust the vul opps" is stupid in this instance (for reasons I've mentioned 100 times already) and a misuse of that expression. That should not be the basis of our judgement on the frequency of hand type RHO has.

This post has been edited by Jlall: 2008-April-29, 23:59

#38 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-April-29, 23:52

I don't understand this. Shouldn't we debate why something is right or wrong.

Who was debating? He posted, when almost no one agreed he was teaching, he was obviously never going to be convinced he was wrong. I've got nothing against Phil, but he became everything I hate in this thread.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#39 Guest_Jlall_*

Posted 2008-April-30, 00:10

One last thing:

Say your partner opened a precision 2C showing 6/7 clubs and a minimumish opener and denying a 4 card major. Say your RHO hemmed and hawed and tanked and counted their points and took off their shoes to count their points some more. They then X. You have a stiff spade. You know they had a double and spade hand. You are red/red. How light would you be bidding 5C with? Would it be exclusively a 6-5 type of hand, or would you really want to with x Axxx xxxx KJxx?

Remember you know one of the big flaws of bidding is that when you X with a X and bid again hand you are almost committed to bid your suit next.

I really think you underestimate the amount of hands they can bid 5C on you with.

And yes that is an analagous situation since in the actual auction you know thats what your LHO has given your RHO's pass.

#40 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-April-30, 02:01

jdonn, on Apr 29 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

I don't understand this. Shouldn't we debate why something is right or wrong.

Who was debating? He posted, when almost no one agreed he was teaching, he was obviously never going to be convinced he was wrong. I've got nothing against Phil, but he became everything I hate in this thread.

That's funny Josh.

Because up until a few minutes ago, this thread was turning into everything I hate. Which is, "provide all the examples you want, but I am a better player than you, and no matter how much logic you throw at me, you are wrong. I don't need to give you any reasons, just go away".

As far as "I'll never be convinced I am wrong", that is incorrect and I can give you many instances on here where I have reversed my opinion". I'm just not that kind of individual.

Up until this point, no one has presented any compelling reasons to the contrary. I'm reviewing Justin's latest and I'll try to respond to it tonight.
"Phil" on BBO

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users