BBO Discussion Forums: Opp opens 4S. 6-5 come alive in 4th? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opp opens 4S. 6-5 come alive in 4th?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-December-27, 05:36

IMPs, random game on BBO.

Pass it out, or do something?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-December-27, 06:47

Random game => Pass. Anything else is bound to generate disaster.

In an settled partnership, ... you would love to bid 4NT, but it is quite
common to play 4NT as T/O. It may still be ok, if you also agreed to ELC,
but I guess, you have to let this one go.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-27, 07:41

These threads are getting ridiculous.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 07:45

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-27, 05:36, said:

IMPs, random game on BBO.

Pass it out, or do something?

I know it's odd that this is coming from me but I'd pass it in a split second Diana.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-December-27, 07:50

View Postthe hog, on 2014-December-27, 07:41, said:

These topics are very useful for intermediate level Ron. There are very good players in BBF and imho it will help them to read what goes thru the minds of those good players and compare it with their own thinking. What can be so bad about it?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-27, 08:10

View Postthe hog, on 2014-December-27, 07:41, said:

I did feel a bit ridiculous posting this TBH, but this thread where PhilKing and several other good players argued 4 was a good bid got me thinking. I thought pass or maybe X would be the bid there, and 4 didn't even cross my mind. So this time I wanted to find out whether the similar logic applies when opps open 4, and we're already one level above game. Is it all about finding our fit, or we bid 4 over 4 coz it's game, and 5th level belongs to opps when the majors are reversed.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-December-27, 08:30

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-December-27, 08:10, said:

I did feel a bit ridiculous posting this TBH, but this thread where PhilKing and several other good players argued 4 was a good bid got me thinking. I thought pass or maybe X would be the bid there, and 4 didn't even cross my mind. So this time I wanted to find out whether the similar logic applies when opps open 4, and we're already one level above game. Is it all about finding our fit, or we bid 4 over 4 coz it's game, and 5th level belongs to opps when the majors are reversed.

4 and 5 level are different. Them opening and raising to game is also different than one of them opening 4 non vul, Not having a single Ace when thinking about bidding at 5 level is also another negative. It would tickle me if you made them red and us white but I would still pass.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-27, 13:46

I actually find this close. Would definitely bid 4NT in some cases. On the conditions mentioned, it would depend of pard's profile. Expert/adv: bid. Else no.

#9 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-December-27, 21:24

Does this depend on if X would be pens? You could probably run a simulation on this based on the estimated hands from the other thread (it seems 8 spades with 3 of the 5 top honors is a reasonable reflection) - I might even do that.

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-28, 02:10

it would take me half a second to bid 4NT, perhaps becase I am used of solid 4 openers.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-28, 03:14

On the actual hand, bidding was quite safe, EW had a massive double fit in the black suits and NS had the reds. I can't evaluate how likely it is for this to happen normally though, given that the 4S opener was 8-5, which is not the standard shape for such openings :) I would have thought bidding was nuts until recently, but now I don't know anymore Posted Image

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-28, 05:25

I would bid 4NT at favourable, but pass otherwise. At love all I suspect it is pretty close.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users