BBO Discussion Forums: Responder's first bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder's first bid

Poll: Which Game force do you prefer (18 member(s) have cast votes)

It has been agreed that we are playing Bergen raises at the table, what is your first response?

1. 3NT (7 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

2. 2 Clubs (4 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. 2 Diamonds (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Other non game forcing bid. (Why?) (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2014-December-23, 11:29

So I found myself responding to this hand with a pick up partner. With our 5 minute discussion before the evening started he requested we play Bergen Raises. We agreed it should include use of intervening 1NT -3M on 10-12 point hands w/ 3 card support, 3NT as a major raise and nebulous splinters and how to ask, all very standard. Seeing no problem with that we started playing. This hand presented itself and it led to a bit of a discussion

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-December-23, 11:41

You should feel lucky if you and your partner agreed on 3NT being a spade raise at all. Many people take "Bergen Raises" to apply first and foremost to the 3 and 3 bids. Furthermore some people play Reverse Bergen Raises (yuck) and think they are playing normal Bergen Raises.

Honestly, the most practical bid in a pickup partnership, even if you have managed to squeeze in 5 minutes of discussion, is 4.

Meanwhile, of your choices I like 2 best. While I prefer a style where 2 shows 5 and 2 can be a doubleton in a regular partnership, I believe that both showing 4 cards is more widespread and easier to deal with in a pickup partnership.

Further, I would dispute that 3 is a "fast arrival bid", as you haven't arrived.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 12:19

I'd normally just bid my suit, but here it's so disgusting that I'm torn between it and 2, which could systemically be three cards if 3433 exactly - which this isn't far from. I voted 2, but I think I've already changed my mind to 2, to deter a lead against a possible 3N.

Not touching 3N with a pickup P. I have no idea how they'll take it, so we could end up playing there when they have 5s running against us, or not playing there when it's the only making contract.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2014-December-23, 12:24

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-December-23, 11:41, said:

You should feel lucky if you and your partner agreed on 3NT being a spade raise at all. Many people take "Bergen Raises" to apply first and foremost to the 3 and 3 bids. Furthermore some people play Reverse Bergen Raises (yuck) and think they are playing normal Bergen Raises.

Honestly, the most practical bid in a pickup partnership, even if you have managed to squeeze in 5 minutes of discussion, is 4.

Meanwhile, of your choices I like 2 best. While I prefer a style where 2 shows 5 and 2 can be a doubleton in a regular partnership, I believe that both showing 4 cards is more widespread and easier to deal with in a pickup partnership.

Further, I would dispute that 3 is a "fast arrival bid", as you haven't arrived.

It was an IRL game (for a change) and my partner was a much more experienced player than I am, not that that is hard. We talked through Bergen raises to make sure we were on the same page including 3NT, nebulous splinters and how to ask.

My 2 was a generic game force, which we didn't discuss. 2 for me shows 5 as well, and my 2 clubs was bid out of habit, so that's on me. I agree the jump in spades isn't strictly fast arrival by definition, hence the parenthesis. My logic was the 2 new suit still left his hand unlimited and suggest we had side fit. A jump to 4 wouldn't allow for cue bidding at the 4 level. Since we were already in a game forcing auction consuming unnecessary space denotes weaker GF hands. He didn't seem to take any issue with the jump raise at the time...

Also every partner is a pick up partner it seems, so I just stick to my card and any agreements we make before the game. I'd rather discuss my system's pros and cons rather than those of a safety bid.

#5 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 12:30

View PostJinksy, on 2014-December-23, 12:19, said:

I'd normally just bid my suit, but here it's so disgusting that I'm torn between it and 2, which could systemically be three cards if 3433 exactly - which this isn't far from. I voted 2, but I think I've already changed my mind to 2, to deter a lead against a possible 3N.

Not touching 3N with a pickup P. I have no idea how they'll take it, so we could end up playing there when they have 5s running against us, or not playing there when it's the only making contract.

I left out from the original poll question that it was known ahead of time that a jump to 3NT would be taken as part of the Bergen treatment... I still didn't like it though for your line of reasoning, and as for the result there was 5 hearts against us and 3NT went down where it was played. That evidence though is ad-hoc, hence the question.

#6 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 12:39

View Postwclucas42, on 2014-December-23, 12:24, said:

I agree the jump in spades isn't strictly fast arrival by definition, hence the parenthesis.

Oops, apologies, I seemed to have trampled on the parenthesis somewhere along the line. As it read I completely agree. with the "not fast arrival" comment.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 13:13

1ntsf

If pard passes I will be fine
9 loser hand.

planning on rebidding 3s.

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-December-23, 13:39

delete: miscounted the hand

I originally posted 1N then 3 but with 13 hcp, no matter how awful, and these are awful, I can't do that. It is not that I think game is favourite. However, I think at mps the entire field will be in game and I always assume that my partner can outplay the field so on this sort of hand I want to be in the field contract. If game makes, and we miss it, we get a zero. If game fails, and we bid it, we rate to get average plus or better (since MY partner is more likely to bring it home than most).

As for how to bid it: I bid 1N anyway, but follow it with either 4 or 3N.

I don't think the natural auction of 1 1N 2x 3N exists, so I think it should show this hand, but since I doubt I have discussed it, I will bid 4.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 14:01

View Postmikeh, on 2014-December-23, 13:39, said:

delete: miscounted the hand

Haha, I did the same first. Really tempting to miscount this one!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 14:06

maybe you guys didn't miscount! :)
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-23, 18:13

To be honest I am all for 1 NT and then 3.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-24, 04:29

I'd certainly not nag pard if he were to bid 1NT-3 on this hand. Trouble is, in practice this is an anti-field bid which can very well result in an "unlucky expert"-type zero, i.e. pard passes and game is on regardless.

Since 3NT is a very possible contract as well, despite the fit, I might start with 2. If pard now bids 2NT, I'll raise to 3. Else I'd bid 4.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-December-24, 05:18

If the hand looked like worth of 12 hcp, I would agree with those who forces to game for the sake of the field. The reason I choose to invite is that I do not think it is a close call. It is an obvious invite to me. And when I say that note that in my some number of bridge background, I did not do this more than at most 2 times. It is not something I like. But this hand....man it is ugly as Mike said and I will not be field slave when it looks too obvious to me.

This hand is not even worth of 12 hcp to me. I maybe wrong of course but this is what I see when I look at this hand.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 05:33

View Postwclucas42, on 2014-December-23, 11:29, said:

3NT as a major raise

How is this Major raise defined?
I have agreement with my partner that 3NT is 3c-support, 4333 and 12-14. I would bid 3NT with your example hand (but not very happy about it, I would rather prefer Q's instead of J's and K's iso A's).

#15 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-December-24, 06:34

2C of course, unless you still play 1NT as forcing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-December-24, 06:39

I just KnR'ed this hand, guess what is it worth? Posted Image

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 06:41

1nt followed by 4 is not crazy if you want to raise spades anyway.

I voted 3NT because I believe this shows this hand and gives partner a choice.

If I where to bid a minor I would bid 2. This shows only three. It will only sound like four if p is 5404 and infers that I must have four clubs when I don't raise hearts. In that case I will have to correct 6 to 6 which will play well with my rubbish diamonds opposite partner's void. So I don't see the merit of 2.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 08:18

If you have agreed on a bid for this hand type then just use it. So, I would bid 3NT.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 09:42

View Postkgr, on 2014-December-24, 05:33, said:

How is this Major raise defined?
I have agreement with my partner that 3NT is 3c-support, 4333 and 12-14. I would bid 3NT with your example hand (but not very happy about it, I would rather prefer Q's instead of J's and K's iso A's).

We'll that's pretty much how I understand it. Although I thought it was all balanced shapes, and implicitly promises stoppers... I felt better about 4 hearts than 3 NT. This really gets to the crux though... Is the 3NT bid on shape alone or am I promising more?

Thanks,

#20 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-December-24, 10:02

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-December-24, 08:18, said:

If you have agreed on a bid for this hand type then just use it. So, I would bid 3NT.

Rik

I thought my 3 NT was an overbid, like I said I didn't see my hand delivering what I thought it promised.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users