• You cannot reply to this topic

fun hand, it's a play problem!

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-23, 09:34

We had a 65% game in a club game last night, following on from a 70% game the week before. Success for our weak nt perhaps? :)

I've had a few bbf'ers comment that I would do better focusing on my play rather than bidding. I know that my declarer play is poor and
I do work through hands with my partner, it is improving, slowly, I could do more. There's often a line of play I failed to see or a bad line I took,
I don't think the problems are suitable for bbf. Most of my posts on here are system problems, I love trying new things and tweaking our system
and bbf is the best place I know to get feedback and new ideas.

Having said all of that, here's a hand I got right, "Advanced" hold off on your answer until some intermediates have had a chance to reply.

After opening 1 you find yourself in 3nt, opps have bid spades and lead is 8

I will post the full auction later, it will distract from the play problem.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2014-December-23, 10:13

I have 7 tricks off the top with the 4th Heart and the 4th club making 9. It looks like at least 4 losers before they get in to Spades, 3 Diamonds and a Heart.

It therefore looks like the key to this is keeping the C7 so I can get back to enjoy the 4th Heart if they break. If they don't break I don't see how I can make it unless something silly happens in Spades and Diamonds.

I reckon I also need to set up that 4th Heart before they can exchange too much information and I end up losing more than 3 Diamonds.

So the first decision is the best way to make four club tricks. Without seeing the bidding the odds favour the finesse and because I need the C7 I only get one finesse so they need to break or the CQ needs to drop if 4-1. Something tells me I should be playing for the drop, though.

So after winning SK, perforce, I'm playing C10 and covering with JC, then HAK8 and hope they haven't figured out the Diamond position so they take 4 of them.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-December-23, 14:45

View PostSimonFa, on 2014-December-23, 10:13, said:

I have 7 tricks off the top with the 4th Heart and the 4th club making 9. It looks like at least 4 losers before they get in to Spades, 3 Diamonds and a Heart.

It therefore looks like the key to this is keeping the C7 so I can get back to enjoy the 4th Heart if they break. If they don't break I don't see how I can make it unless something silly happens in Spades and Diamonds.

I reckon I also need to set up that 4th Heart before they can exchange too much information and I end up losing more than 3 Diamonds.

So the first decision is the best way to make four club tricks. Without seeing the bidding the odds favour the finesse and because I need the C7 I only get one finesse so they need to break or the CQ needs to drop if 4-1. Something tells me I should be playing for the drop, though.

So after winning SK, perforce, I'm playing C10 and covering with JC, then HAK8 and hope they haven't figured out the Diamond position so they take 4 of them.

Good plan but aren't you better off just ducking the heart to keep the position obscured? This also lowers your downside when hearts don't split.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-December-23, 14:57

sorry but I think it's really important to give the full auction on play problems. For instance we don't know which of the opps bid spades and to what level their partner supported (if at all), we don't know if partner bid anything, we don't know what calls we made between our 1c opening and final 3n...
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-December-24, 10:08

View Posteagles123, on 2014-December-23, 14:57, said:

sorry but I think it's really important to give the full auction on play problems. For instance we don't know which of the opps bid spades and to what level their partner supported (if at all), we don't know if partner bid anything, we don't know what calls we made between our 1c opening and final 3n...

Here you are:

North in first seat:

P (P) 1 (P)
P (1*) 1nt (2)
3 (P) 3n

* 1 was preceded by the comment "well, we can't let her play in 1"
AI for me, correct? :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-December-28, 05:39

For you, it's AI yes. For opponents, it's UI. It probably means the overcall was on 4 cards or a very weak hand. Can also be a joke, though.. up to you to judge the tone.

Anyway, just play a club to the jack and then the 8 from hand. (If the club finesse loses, you're probably down anyway, on a game few will bid...)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users