• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO web-client 1.42 Post comments and suggestions here

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-17, 12:31

Version 1.42 of the BBO web-client is now available. You can find out more about the changes in V1.42 here:

Link to V1.42 annoucement post

Feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are very welcome. We may not respond to every post that will appear in this thread, but I promise that we will read and consider what you have to say.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2010-November-17, 18:18

how is the completion rate determined?

if i leave a hand while i am dummy, is that an unfinished board?

if i leave after all players have left and stopped is that an unfinished board?

do i have to make abid to start a board?

thanks

i like several of the new features

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#3 User is offline   eyhung 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, poker, literature, boardgames, computers, classical music, baseball, history

Posted 2010-November-17, 18:24

Hallelujah to keeping track of completion rate. I assume that the Flash software will alert you if you are about to take an action that will cause your completion rate to get "dinged". Will Windows users also get dinged?

What is the criteria for determining a "new member"? Date of first login, # of logins, or both?
Eugene Hung

#4 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:21

View Postbabalu1997, on 2010-November-17, 18:18, said:

how is the completion rate determined?if i leave a hand while i am dummy, is that an unfinished board?if i leave after all players have left and stopped is that an unfinished board?do i have to make abid to start a board?thanksi like several of the new features

I can't get into specifics, but we have made an effort to be fair in this area. If you leave in a situation where your presence is not required to complete the board or if it is deemed that an incomplete board is not "your fault", then you should not expect your completion rate to suffer.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 08:24

View Posteyhung, on 2010-November-17, 18:24, said:

Hallelujah to keeping track of completion rate. I assume that the Flash software will alert you if you are about to take an action that will cause your completion rate to get "dinged". Will Windows users also get dinged? What is the criteria for determining a "new member"? Date of first login, # of logins, or both?

Right now there is no warning in either client, but I suppose this might be a good feature to add in cases that we can detect.

The definition of "new member" is not something we are planning on making public and it is not unlikely that this definition will change in the future.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 11:45

Old client users also get "dinged" or tracked. But they cannot open tables that specify a completion rate, unlike new version users.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#7 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 13:18

another question:

i see the completion statistics when people invite me to tourney

however, i cannot see their statistic before inviting them, is there a way to do that?

thanks

#8 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-18, 13:26

View Postbabalu1997, on 2010-November-18, 13:18, said:

another question:

i see the completion statistics when people invite me to tourney

however, i cannot see their statistic before inviting them, is there a way to do that?

thanks

At this point in time the answer is no.

We chose to be conservative in terms of when to show statistics in our first web-client release that contained statistics. If the response is positive (and maybe even if it isn't) future versions of the web-client will likely show statistics in other contexts - the one you mention would be a leading candidate. It is also likely that we will introduce some new statistics in future versions.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#9 User is offline   t28 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-November-19, 00:18

View Postfred, on 2010-November-17, 12:31, said:

Version 1.42 of the BBO web-client is now available. You can find out more about the changes in V1.42 here:

Link to V1.42 annoucement post

Feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are very welcome. We may not respond to every post that will appear in this thread, but I promise that we will read and consider what you have to say.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#10 User is offline   t28 

• Pip

Posted 2010-November-19, 00:20

never leave a hand but frequently lose connection during play; am I penalized?

#11 User is offline   alan13 

• Pip

Posted 2010-November-19, 00:52

I also have questions about completion rate. I regularly sign up as a substitute for tournamemts, hundreds of them ... and have completed all of them except for maybe two due to connection problems. However, my tournament completion rate is being reported as 95% ... that says that I failed to complete one in 20! And as for boards, in non-tournament settings I always announce to my fellow players that I'm leaving after that board, but it is impossibe to leave without a deal having been presented. Do you require the member to have bid before calling it a completion failure?

#12 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2010-November-19, 03:01

View Postt28, on 2010-November-19, 00:20, said:

Historically, as far as I am aware, abandoning a hand and losing connection have been treated the same. I have no idea whether they are treated differently now, but as a table host I'm not sure it really matters. If your connection is poor, then you are going to disrupt the game frequently and we'll never know if you are going to return (even though we know you'll try).

As someone who, in the early days, got a couple of automated bans due to connection issues I do sympathise, but I do believe that BBO are doing the right thing here. If it is solely your connection to BBO that is poor, then working with the technical staff (support@...) can be very useful and can help determine the issues. For example, some ISPs' traffic management systems do not know about the BBO web client and will lower the priority of its traffic, which is not good.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#13 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 07:39

Semantics:

In the web version, when joining a private game, the banner read-- Blocked, this is a private tourney etc...

Why not just the old, Sorry, this is a private game, .... it was nicer.

Or perhaps one could use the word restricted, instead of blocked.

#14 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 08:50

View Postt28, on 2010-November-19, 00:20, said:

I suspect BBO has no way to distinguish between a crash caused by an ISP, your computer, or by you forcing a shutdown. So yes it is a measure of how much you crash if you never leave a hand or tournament voluntarily. Nevertheless with directors setting tournament levels at 75 or 80 % they are catching the runners and effectively have to provide subs for the real crashes.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#15 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2010-November-19, 10:55

View Postalan13, on 2010-November-19, 00:52, said:

I also have questions about completion rate. I regularly sign up as a substitute for tournamemts, hundreds of them ... and have completed all of them except for maybe two due to connection problems. However, my tournament completion rate is being reported as 95% ... that says that I failed to complete one in 20! And as for boards, in non-tournament settings I always announce to my fellow players that I'm leaving after that board, but it is impossibe to leave without a deal having been presented. Do you require the member to have bid before calling it a completion failure?

Don't be alarmed at the 95% if you have consistently completed tourneys. Being a sub is unlikely to hurt you either. We only started tracking the data recently. As you play more, your individual stat will lean towards your true percentage.

On board - yes, you need to make a move and bid something to have started it. Otherwise you have not started the board, and are free to leave with no penalty.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#16 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 12:04

When choosing a table at the main room, the More column only displays the word More on it, at least in my computer settings.

Is there a way for me to change the display so i can find out whether the table scoring is mp or imp without clicking on it. Better yet, can the scoring be displayed, as it is for the interesting tbale corner.

I ask that also because, when I ste an mp table, I get a large number of players who leave within a board because they do not like the scoring.

#17 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 13:00

View Postbabalu1997, on 2010-November-19, 12:04, said:

Is there a way for me to change the display so i can find out whether the table scoring is mp or imp without clicking on it. Better yet, can the scoring be displayed, as it is for the interesting tbale corner.

Currently the only thing you can do is click "More".

Likely we will do an overhaul of the table list at some point before too long. It is a difficult problem because there is a lot of information about each table that some people might find important and there are horizontal space issues on screens with relatively low resolutions.

Try "help me find a game", then "play - interesting tables". The form of scoring (and the bridge club) appear in this list. Besides that, you will probably find it easier to search through a list of 10 "recommended" tables for one that is appropriate for you versus searching through many more tables in the Main Bridge Club list.

Fred Gitleman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#18 User is offline   tozbek91 

• Pip

Posted 2010-November-19, 14:47

I just have a couple of points:

Why would you change the profile background color from a nice yellow to a disturbing bright white? With all warm colors around, it doesn't look good.

Also, the "NOT ALLOWED" icon for kibitzers (screenshot) used to look much better, without the black clutter around it. Now it looks very low-res...

Other than these graphic decisions, I think the new version is great. But I don't know why you would change those colors and images when they look just fine.

Tekin
www.tekinozbek.net

#19 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-19, 21:37

Ihave no idea how to start or find a teamgame online with web version. Confusion.

AFter much confusion and trying I did get a message.......

no tg pending whatever.. exhausting.

#20 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2010-November-19, 21:51

A player in an ACBL tournament reports that using FLASH she can not see her partnership convention card when it is the nice ACBL formatted one. I don't know if this a bug, a feature, or a mistaken report. Anyone else see this phenomena?
--Ben--

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users