• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-September-26, 16:20

The Bridge World, September 2010, has eight pages of WHAT'S NEW IN BRIDGE: TRANSFERS EVERYWHERE.

Transfer Advances After a Preempt - Probably NOT ACBL legal.
Edited: Transfers allowed after opening pre-empt of 2 or higher. #7. [But not after a Precision 2 or 2 opening].

Transfer Doubles [with the Raptor 1NT Overcall] - Probably ACBL legal.

Nonpromissory Transfers [after opening NT] - Probably NOT ACBL legal?

Both Sides Now - [transfers proposed when partner opens or overcalls 1M and the next hand X or bids 1]. [Transfers allowed over the X, but questionable over a suit / NT overcall by the opponent]

We know that Transfer Advances are legal after overcalling opponent's opening bid and also that transfers are legal if the opponent's make a conventional bid (like a takeout double) [over our opening / overcall].

The QUESTION: If the opponent's make a normal suit overcall of our 1 of a suit opening bid, are transfers allowed by responder?

Note that the ACBl General Convention Chart says:

ALLOWED ** Unless specifically allowed, methods are disallowed **

Thus, I conclude such other transfers are NOT allowed.

Comments?

This post has been edited by PrecisionL: 2010-September-26, 21:00

Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-26, 17:44

PrecisionL, on Sep 26 2010, 06:20 PM, said:

The QUESTION: If the opponent's make a normal suit overcall of our 1 of a suit opening bid, are transfers allowed by responder?

[snip]

Comments?

I'd say No, they're not allowed.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-26, 18:33

I don't really get this post.

ACBL general chart allows all responses to 1NT openings and to preempts, subject to some pretty loose restrictions on the openings (i.e. preempts guarantee five card suit). So I don't get the claim that transfers after preempts and non-promissory transfers after 1NT are "probably not allowed."

Next you state that transfers are allowed after 1-(1) or 1M-(X). This doesn't seem totally clear-cut to me, but I agree that in practice they are allowed. However, if transfers are allowed after 1-(1) then they should be allowed after all sequences where we open and opponents overcall. There is absolutely not justification for them being allowed after 1-(1) and not after 1-(2) for example.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-26, 19:25

"8. Numbers 4 through 10 under RESPONSES AND REBIDS above APPLY TO BOTH PAIRS." --GCC

Does 'both pairs' mean the trivial N-S and E-W?
Or does it mean the overcalling side AND the opening side?
The advancer to OC, T/Odbl and the responder to opening bid?

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 15:05

PrecisionL, on Sep 26 2010, 04:20 PM, said:

The Bridge World, September 2010, has eight pages of WHAT'S NEW IN BRIDGE: TRANSFERS EVERYWHERE.

Transfer Advances After a Preempt - Probably NOT ACBL legal. 
Edited:  Transfers allowed after opening pre-empt of 2 or higher. #7.  [But not after a Precision 2 or 2 opening].

Why not?

ACBL GCC - Responses: 7 said:

ARTIFICIAL AND CONVENTIONAL CALLS after ... opening bids of two clubs or higher.

And Conventional, 7c, means I can use transfers after they bid 2C, if that's what you meant.

Transfer Doubles [with the Raptor 1NT Overcall] - Probably ACBL legal.

Definitely legal:

ACBL GCC - Conventional said:

2.CONVENTIONAL DOUBLES AND REDOUBLES and responses (including free bids) thereto.
3.  NOTRUMP OVERCALL for either
  a)  two-suit takeout showing at least 5–4 distribution and at least one known suit

Now, the transfer overcalls, if they come into it, are not legal. But the double and NT are fine.

Nonpromissory Transfers [after opening NT] - Probably NOT ACBL legal?

Definitely legal:

ACBL GCC - Responses: 10 said:

ALL CALLS AFTER A NATURAL NOTRUMP opening bid or direct
overcall
- assuming you're not playing an "illegal" NT opener. In fact, that's how I would rule 1NT-2D; 2H-3D "forget transfer" - at least for the ladies who were known to use it in my old club, so I knew it was not the first time - "You're playing 2D as hearts or diamonds - I've seen you two do this before. That's legal, but you have to Alert, rather than Announce, and you have to explain it when asked. Now, about the MI..."

Both Sides Now - [transfers proposed when partner opens or overcalls 1M and the next hand X or bids 1].  [Transfers allowed over the X, but questionable over a suit / NT overcall by the opponent]

Still not sure what this means, so I don't know if it's legal. Over X, of course, fine; after NT overcall, fine (provided you do promise one suit with calls of 2D or higher); after 1H-1S, I think you're out of luck.

We know that Transfer Advances are legal after overcalling opponent's opening bid and also that transfers are legal if the opponent's make a conventional bid (like a takeout double) [over our opening / overcall].

The QUESTION:  If the opponent's make a normal suit overcall of our 1 of a suit opening bid, are transfers allowed by responder?

Comments?

No, unless you can get a specific exemption (say after Precision 1C-overcall). They are allowed without defence requirements, with or without an overcall, on the Mid-Chart under "constructive responses".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 19:41

PrecisionL, on Sep 26 2010, 10:20 PM, said:

Edited: Transfers allowed after opening pre-empt of 2 or higher. #7. [But not after a Precision 2 or 2 opening].

Why on earth would anyone ban transfers after a precision 2C opener? It is alot simpler than learning a relay structure and works.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users