BBO Discussion Forums: Thought process for an ordinary hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thought process for an ordinary hand

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-26, 03:17

Scoring: IMP

1-1
1NT-2
AP

Lead 7, 3th/5th best
I you take the Ace then RHO plays the 4 (low enc).
How do you continue? What is your thought process for this hand?
- Play to discard a (Maybe person with 2c will have to ruff high)
- play to the King to try to ruff a
- play trump

This felt like a difficult hand to me. Is it?

#2 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-26, 07:06

IMO should duck 1st trick at IMPs.

If RHO returns big , i win, then ...Edit: Better plan - 5 to T
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-September-26, 07:13

The opponents are not vulnerable and yet neither of them has made a single call, despite having the majority of the HCP. Therefore, I expect their hands to be extremely flat, and I expect the clubs to be splitting 3-3 way more often than expected. So, I would rise Ace and try to cash three clubs (pitching a heart) before leading a diamond toward my hand. I know that I may not get the chence to ruff a diamond, but I might as well take this finesse and make the opponents lead spades for me.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-26, 08:43

ARCH

A=analyze the opening lead
you did this

R=review the bidding
note that neither opponent was inclined to enter the auction. This is relevant to card placement.

C=count your winners and your losers
looks like 1, 3-5, 0.5,3-4 are your winners
2, 1, 1 are your losers.

H=how can I make this hand
you need 4 more tricks and if you can hold losers to 2 you will make your contract but you need to lead twice from dummy for the %age play and it would be better if you didn't have to try and cash your 3rd winner while a low trump was still out. Consequently lead a low inserting the T if it could win the trick (i.e. cover East's card). Expected defenses with West winning trick 2, and a , won by East with a shift. If the first ruff the 3rd get to dummy and lead another to the 9. If the latter cover East's card unless dummy's 9 will do that. Ruff the continuation and get to dummy to lead a

This is only partially complete. Much more effort for a more complete answer would be required and I ain't Rexford :rolleyes:
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#5 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 05:22

kenrexford, on Sep 26 2010, 03:13 PM, said:

The opponents are not vulnerable and yet neither of them has made a single call, despite having the majority of the HCP. Therefore, I expect their hands to be extremely flat, and I expect the clubs to be splitting 3-3 way more often than expected. So, I would rise Ace and try to cash three clubs (pitching a heart) before leading a diamond toward my hand. I know that I may not get the chence to ruff a diamond, but I might as well take this finesse and make the opponents lead spades for me.

Thanks all for the answers!! (not sure if the above is best or if it is better to finesse Spades.
If you play 3 's then LHO will ruff the 3th with J. What are you doing with that?

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2010-September-27, 06:05

kgr, on Sep 27 2010, 06:22 AM, said:

The opponents are not vulnerable and yet neither of them has made a single call, despite having the majority of the HCP.  Therefore, I expect their hands to be extremely flat, and I expect the clubs to be splitting 3-3 way more often than expected.  So, I would rise Ace and try to cash three clubs (pitching a heart) before leading a diamond toward my hand.  I know that I may not get the chence to ruff a diamond, but I might as well take this finesse and make the opponents lead spades for me.

Thanks all for the answers!! (not sure if the above is best or if it is better to finesse Spades.
If you play 3 's then LHO will ruff the 3th with J. What are you doing with that?

Well, I traded a heart loser for the spade Jack, which is really funky.

What's the return?

My inclination is to maintain expectation of basically balanced. Perhaps LHO started with AQJ in spades, in which case I cannot go wrong. Perhaps, however, he started with just two spades, presumably both honors. If so, I think restricted choice unless something suggests otherwise later. Hence, my inclination is to play LHO for stiff Ace remaining.

The problem with that line, though, is that I cannot gain playing for that line, because the spade Queen will then be protected. So, I suppose I might as well play for the longer-odds Q-J tight and go for the smother.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 06:43

kenrexford, on Sep 27 2010, 02:05 PM, said:

kgr, on Sep 27 2010, 06:22 AM, said:

The opponents are not vulnerable and yet neither of them has made a single call, despite having the majority of the HCP.  Therefore, I expect their hands to be extremely flat, and I expect the clubs to be splitting 3-3 way more often than expected.  So, I would rise Ace and try to cash three clubs (pitching a heart) before leading a diamond toward my hand.  I know that I may not get the chence to ruff a diamond, but I might as well take this finesse and make the opponents lead spades for me.

Well, I traded a heart loser for the spade Jack, which is really funky.

What's the return?

My inclination is to maintain expectation of basically balanced. Perhaps LHO started with AQJ in spades, in which case I cannot go wrong. Perhaps, however, he started with just two spades, presumably both honors. If so, I think restricted choice unless something suggests otherwise later. Hence, my inclination is to play LHO for stiff Ace remaining.

The problem with that line, though, is that I cannot gain playing for that line, because the spade Queen will then be protected. So, I suppose I might as well play for the longer-odds Q-J tight and go for the smother.

Sorry. RHO ruffed with the J.
You still discard the ?
If you do that then RHO returns the K.

PS: You are confident that your line is better then the other line that was suggested (Immediate Spade finesse) or is it too difficult to really know which line is best?

#8 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-27, 07:53

kgr, on Sep 27 2010, 07:43 AM, said:

PS: You are confident that your line is better then the other line that was suggested (Immediate Spade finesse) or is it too difficult to really know which line is best?

Ducking heart at trick one is best. And it is not that close or difficult.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-September-27, 07:57

I'd also duck the at trick 1... :)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 08:20

think before trick one, you either take A and run clubs, or duck first heart.

#11 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 09:41

Why is ducking A so much better?

#12 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 09:56

kgr, on Sep 27 2010, 03:41 PM, said:

Why is ducking A so much better?

anytime you have Ax towards xxx/xxxx or Axx/Axxx towards xx is normally right to duck to cut down comunication for the opponents and open them for you. Also you force the opponents to make a decision at trick 2 with the less ammount of info. There are obvious exceptions (don't want a side suit open before you stablish dummy's suit, etc), but the "normal" play is to duck.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-September-27, 11:07

A bit late to the thread, but here goes how I think I would think at the table:

1. Duck the heart. This seems right for a lot of reasons.....even if I couldn't think of any, it is almost always right to duck in the absence of a strong reason not to. While pitching a heart may seem like a good reason, I think this is an illusion. We can always fall back on pitching a diamond...the opps can kill the diamond ruff anytime they want, so we are simply swapping pitches...and...in the mean time....

2. RHO has to make a play at trick 2 and that will determine how we go forward. Discussing how we will proceed takes too much time...not because any of it is difficult, but because there are so many variants....let's say they lead a diamond.....fly the K...does it hold? Let's say they switch to trump right now...put in the 10 and see what happens. Do they return a heart? Now my 9 in dummy may become a useful card....probably not, but still.....

I would run a lot of these variants through my mind before ducking at trick one..... because that exercise sometimes sets off a warning.....ooops....if I duck and they do 'this', I am in trouble....so better not duck....and it takes less time to think about all of this than it does to write it out, or to read about it.

I remember reading, many years ago, an article by Kantar on planning the play of a contract where nothing was clear....where the best line depended on what the opps did and what one learned as the play proceeded....he called these kinds of hands 'scrambles'...where it really didn't pay to commit at trick one to a line if, by deferring the decision, you'd likely have more info..and where disaster wasn't likely to strike by a delay.

Another 'rule of thumb' arises from an observation I heard, again many years ago, that on complex hands good players tend to lose their tricks early, while lesser players lost them late...and usually lost more of them. Losing tricks early has the benefit of tightening up the hands, while affording increased information.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2010-September-27, 12:21

If the third round of clubs is ruffed, I will still pitch the heart. I am still trading a heart for the spade Jack.

And, I still think the heart pop and three quick clubs is right, notwithstanding others' views. Despite what actually happened, I think the odds of the 3-3 split are tremendous, and I am in great shape when that happens. When it does not, I still shorten the spade risk substantially, as the person ruffing in (given expected balanced hands) should more often have the long spade, traded for a heart loser.

This seems like a quick compression play if clubs do not behave.

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 13:40

Seems to me that it's right to win the 2nd heart and play a trump to hand, intending to put in the 9 if RHO plays small.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#16 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-27, 15:37

Thanks all for the answers!!
Below the actual hands dealt by Jack

Jack thinks that A at trick one is slightly better (98.3 vs 88.1) and would continue with a low in trick 2.
(It is taking 1000 samples to do this. But I can imagine that playing A is better if you know double dummy what the best play is in trick 2; while in reality it is possible that duck is better).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users