• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Full disclosure Great idea

#21 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-September-04, 12:28

There is a new version (1.0.2) available now that addresses most of these concerns.

You can now define the dealer/vul at the top level.

There are new options for 1/2 and 3/4 in the Dealer drop down menu.

Probably I will include options at some point to hide/show bids with dealer/vul variations depending on where you are in the tree.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#22 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2005-September-04, 13:32

Great tool !

What about the name "Bidding Tree Browser" or similar ?

Yeah I know, nothing really original LOL, but it avoids emphasizing too much the use in the disclosure of the bids (which is ONLY ONE USE, although quite important), and acknowledges a wider range of potential uses for the software.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#23 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-04, 13:40

A question:
how to deal with different sequences for responder, based on whether he is a passed hand ?

E.g. what is the combination of menu-options/checkboxes to select, e.g. when 1M:1NT is forcing or not (in 2/1), OR when 1M:2C isa Drury or not ?
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#24 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-September-04, 13:51

incredible job, fred... i can't wait till it's incorporated into bbo proper... do you think there could be some way to check more than one 'disposition'? for example, "non-forcing" and also "invitational" or "control bid" with "slam try?"

this is great
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#25 User is offline   Patapon 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-September-04, 13:57

There is nothing to define the range of a bid..

#26 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-04, 16:25

Chamaco, on Sep 4 2005, 07:40 PM, said:

A question:
how to deal with different sequences for responder, based on whether he is a passed hand ?

E.g. what is the combination of menu-options/checkboxes to select, e.g. when 1M:1NT is forcing or not (in 2/1), OR when 1M:2C isa Drury or not ?

Use the "dealer" pulldown menu to specify the seat the dealer is in.

If you want to define Drury, for example, set the dealer to "3 or 4" and make sure both "constructive" and "we open" are set. The click 1H, then 2C, then enter your definition for Drury. Go up and do the same thing for 1S (or use cut and paste).

The above instructions assume you are using version 1.0.2 (or later) of FD.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#27 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2005-September-04, 19:25

Fred,

This program has lifted my spirits after a very turbulent month in my life. Big smiles here from Maryland.

I hope that there will be a print function included soon - the logic trees wouldn't be too hard to transcribe.

Lastly, it's a great first effort. Well done.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#28 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-04, 19:48

Fred:
is it possible to have it where you can put in multiple bids say for a realy like a walsh relay

1nt 2
2 2
2NT now the following responses for the 2 bidder

3NT

where all the above could then be explained with having to go back and redoing everything from the start. I think that would be more useful for partner and opponents.

#29 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 00:22

not sure i undersood the question , but if i did then you can press "up" from outside the bidding explanation, or even better press "ok&up" from inside it.

#30 User is offline   shoeless 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 01:00

Remarkable innovation!!! Call it Ashtray - Birdbath - Bidding Matrix - Bidding Tree or Box of Chocolates and in the end people won't care much as the value is not in the name but in the content. When I first saw the initials BBO I thought of Bobo the Clown. 'Full disclosure' works for me, but inherent in that name, are the rantings that will arise when someone fails to completely flesh out their system Director!!! They say full disclosure but look at this 3D bid!!!! We were damaged!!!! How about AAAFD - An Attempt At Full Disclosure for the semantics freaks?

I do have one strong recommendation. Get someone working on a user' manual or the FD 'help' file right away - or even a team from these forums. Those that understand their systems well and understand software interfaces will have great joy in playing with this tool. Those of us however who are mentally challenged in one or both of these areas need help. I would go so far as to say that down the road, there should be a regular training session in the lecture theatre on the use of this tool. (mind you, I also think that a twice weekly seminar on the features and tricks of BBO would be valuable). I think there is a vocabulary that high level bridge players and software buffs understand in this program that is somewhat unique and not easily understood by us lesser mortals - 'heh? what is it asking me to do?'

I suppose with all great innovations - it is the highest level that gets it and enjoys it first and proves it and creates a standard of usage and creates an attraction to it for the masses.

Hats off to you BBO.

#31 User is offline   badderzboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 02:10

I quite like the name 'Bidding-Tree' sums it all up in two words.

Would it be possible to make the window a tad bigger both length and width ( about 10% more?) so we can see the full description?

Will there be a section for carding and leads etc?

When we can use this in BBO in partnership bidding / play etc it will possibly be one of the best teaching tools available (alongside LTPB/LTPB2 ;) )!

Steve.

#32 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 02:48

I will appreciate if one of the moderators of this Forum move this topic to another thread started by david_c on the same topic. It will be easier for people interested in Full Disclosure to be focussed on one thread.

Godwin
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#33 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-September-05, 05:54

posting moved to original thread
Alderaan delenda est

#34 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-September-05, 05:55

Hi All

Here are a few toughts about the application currently known as "Full Disclosure"

"Full Disclosure" can be decomposed into three distinct elements.

1. Fred has defined a file format that maps a bidding sequence onto a text string. System templates are stored on the local hard drive with a .bss extension.

2. Fred is modifying Bridge Base Online to use these files to for different functions. Auto-alerts and "cheat sheets" are the two most obvious examples

3. Fred has an application called "Bid-Edit". Bid-Edit is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) that provides a fairly intuitive mechanism to create properly formated .sxc files.

I think that its useful to recognize the different components to this system. Case in point: Bid-Edit is one of a number of different tools that could be used to create .sxc files. If people preferred, they could use a standard text editor accomplish the same end. Personally, i prefer to play relay methods. One advantage of playing relay that relatively large numbers of bidding sequences are assigned predictable meanings based on some kind of pattern. Accordingly, I suspect that it will be much easier to generate .bss files for MOSCITO using some kind of script to automatically populate the system file.

The reason that I bring this up is the following: When people are suggesting enhancements to "Bid Edit", they might want to consider whether they can accomplish the same task easier using a different front end...
Alderaan delenda est

#35 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-September-05, 05:58

Under the category "Disposition", it might be useful to add a couple additional categories

1. "Puppet"
2. Either "Relay" or "Asking Bid"
Alderaan delenda est

#36 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2005-September-05, 06:19

I don't find the "possible outcomes" section very useful. I've found that there are very few bids which actually reduce the set of possible outcomes (apart from sign-offs) and those that do are only by inference anyway. So I'd vote for this to be removed, as it's rather cluttering up the output.

Edit: ... and, as it stands, I don't think that someone looking at the output would understand what " NT Def" means.

This post has been edited by david_c: 2005-September-05, 07:12

#37 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 06:24

david_c, on Sep 5 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

I don't find the "possible outcomes" section very useful. I've found that there are very few bids which actually reduce the set of possible outcomes (apart from sign-offs) and those that do are only by inference anyway. So I'd vote for this to be removed, as it's rather cluttering up the output.

A checkbox/pulldown menuitem specifying:

"Sets forcing pass at:
- any level
- XXX level and higher"

might be more compact ?

#38 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-September-05, 06:30

Chamaco, on Sep 5 2005, 03:24 PM, said:

"Sets forcing pass at:
- any level
- XXX level and higher"

might be more compact ?

I define forcing passes more by sequence than by level...

I'll repeat an earlier comment:

I would would prefer to "Bid-Edit" to be optimized for ease of use.
I strongly suspect "serious" design work will require some kind of scripting system to automatically populate the bididng tree.
Alderaan delenda est

#39 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 06:57

fred, on Sep 4 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

Clinch, on Sep 4 2005, 05:02 PM, said:

I'm just an incy-wincy bit concerned about the disclaimer around the file format - does this mean that any input we make now will *almost certainly* need rekeying when the platform gets stabilised?

I think "almost certainly" is an overbid. "Not unlikely" is how I would characterize it.

Most likely the file format will not change in any dramatic way. Most likely, if it does change, those of you with good computer skills will be able to edit your existing files manually (using Notepad for example) in order to get them to work.

First of all, great program!

I think it would be great if you could choose a file format that is not only practical for your programs, but also easy for others to use. There would be a good chance that other people would start writing small programs to use or create FD files. E.g. hrothgar would write a script to automatically generate them for relay systems. Others might write a little helper program to fill out a WBF CC with the information from the bidding file. I might write a little program to generate a LaTeX file with a system description, for convenient printing. Etc. In other words, I think a lot of useful stuff can be done with this that you won't want to do yourself, and the world of bridge players has enough programmers that somebody will do that.

At the same time the file format might need extensions later. Maybe at some point people will want to add information whether a bid is alertable in ACBL/WBF/EBU. Etc etc. (I am sure by now someone will start suggesting XML...)

I think the potential of all this is great.

Btw, I actually like the name.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#40 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 06:58

david_c, on Sep 5 2005, 02:19 PM, said:

I actually found it confusing, and first didn't know at all what it should mean.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users