BBO Discussion Forums: masterminding or good bridge judgement - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

masterminding or good bridge judgement

#21 User is offline   jdiana 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-February-05, 08:31

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-February-04, 21:31, said:

I would define masterminding as someone that intentionally makes a bid they know is not the majority opinion, because they believe they know better / don't trust their partner being able to continue the auction accurately / want to declare instead of be dummy / other reasons.

Saying they're right and refusing to be open to alternatives is just.. well, there are a lot of adjectives you could use :) but very common in the BBO main bridge club.

That sounds right.

"mastermind
(verb) (slang)During the bidding, take an extreme or unusual action based on a set of highly-detailed assumptions."

https://www.bridgewo...ctionary.html#M

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-February-05, 10:40

And then there was this. (15-17nt)

[/RANT]
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 14:37

Eh, 3d there can easily just be a preference with xx in and Tx in . 4NT is making a lot of assumptions accross from a partner who has promised neither a real fit nor extras.

#24 User is online   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-February-05, 15:48

I don't think I would be blasting to slam opposite a weak NT hand, I'd just bid 3NT after the 3 preference. I think the hand looks better than it really is, if the A was swapped with a red suit spot card I would be more optimistic about slam investigation.

#25 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2024-February-05, 16:03

View PostAL78, on 2024-February-05, 15:48, said:

I don't think I would be blasting to slam opposite a weak NT hand, I'd just bid 3NT after the 3 preference. I think the hand looks better than it really is, if the A was swapped with a red suit spot card I would be more optimistic about slam investigation.

Agree. Decent 15 count opposite a weak no-trump with no serious fit.

#26 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 16:08

View Postmycroft, on 2024-February-04, 21:38, said:

I think Simon said something like "if you're playing with (a weaker player) who says 'I have my bids', if you're going to play the hand, do whatever you like. But if you have to put down dummy, be very sound - have your bid. Anything else degrades partner's trust and confidence, and he will play worse than he always does."

My father always put me down a very sound dummy.
I thought he was over conservative :)

#27 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2024-February-05, 16:18

View Postjillybean, on 2024-February-05, 10:40, said:

And then there was this. (15-17nt)

[/RANT]

I would prefer a new thread, but in any case we need more information.
Walsh? XYZ? What would 4 or 4 by N have been?
If it's just nonsense with a pickup partner then I wouldn't put either on the cross or worry about it.

#28 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 16:46

View Postpescetom, on 2024-February-05, 16:18, said:

I would prefer a new thread, but in any case we need more information.
Walsh? XYZ? What would 4 or 4 by N have been?

Can you come up with any answers to your questions that makes North's bidding less than ludicrous? :)

#29 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2024-February-05, 16:55

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-February-05, 16:46, said:

Can you come up with any answers to your questions that makes North's bidding less than ludicrous? :)

Not yet... but I would also need to know whether 1NT denied a major and what 3 meant :)

#30 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 17:01

View PostTylerE, on 2024-February-05, 14:37, said:

Eh, 3d there can easily just be a preference with xx in and Tx in . 4NT is making a lot of assumptions across from a partner who has promised neither a real fit nor extras.

Did someone remove your 2NT card from the bidding box? I cannot think of any hand that would bid 3 here with the pointy suits you stipulate.

#31 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 17:11

View PostGilithin, on 2024-February-05, 17:01, said:

Did someone remove your 2NT card from the bidding box? I cannot think of any hand that would bid 3 here with the pointy suits you stipulate.

Give S a 3rd diamond if makes you feel better. Point still stands. (And this is why, playing 2/1 I'd start with 1S and not 1D in the first place. and just figure out once and for all if we have playable spades. If not, plenty of time to introduce diamonds.

#32 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-February-05, 19:09

View Postmycroft, on 2024-February-04, 21:38, said:

This is just opinion. You may have noticed I have opinions :-) but it's not "math" and it's not "experience has shown".

I am, I think, aggressive (compared to club players, probably not bracket 1) over NT. My opinion is that 9s that aren't 8s don't bother inviting against 15-17. So my invitations are 8ish, poor 9.

Is this enough? Maybe. I wouldn't say "Yes, absolutely"; I wouldn't be upset if partner did invite.

But I also am of the opinion that invitations over 1NT should be rare, especially at matchpoints. +120 scores just as well in 1NT as 2NT; +150 frequently scores well even if it loses to +400/+600, especially if it required top-level play to make that ninth trick. And +90, or +120, beats -50/-100, whether it is bad breaks, minimums, good defence, or almost-top-level play. And the defence plays better when they know what contract they're defending, whether it's "clearly a minimum 3NT" or "2NT is a convention, not a contract" - even if it's just that little extra care on the opening lead, or "do we have to try for +90 for a good score?"

So, I am by and large a "pass or bash" responder (oddly enough, less so opposite a weak NT, but then again, my set of invitations playing Keri are different from those in a Stayman/Transfer system).

Is this worth an invitation? Maybe. I wouldn't say "No, never"; I wouldn't be upset if partner didn't invite - again, especially at matchpoints.

As far as partner goes, yes, responder to NT is captain, but opener has to play it. And if partner is uncomfortable playing thin games (or thin 2NTs) and is even likelier to go down in them if "I told partner not to do this to me", then you'll score better if you hope for +120 rather than +400, or +90 rather than "120 or bust". You might not score *well*, but you will score *better*.

I think Simon said something like "if you're playing with (a weaker player) who says 'I have my bids', if you're going to play the hand, do whatever you like. But if you have to put down dummy, be very sound - have your bid. Anything else degrades partner's trust and confidence, and he will play worse than he always does."

Your partner doesn't think this is an invitation - fine. Don't make it. Partner won't make game when she goes anyway, even if she could; and it's embarrassing to be -1 in 2NT. And take advantage of the fact that when partner invites, she's got the goods, you can accept on any hand that doesn't scream "no". It might not be the best strategy, but there's nothing actually wrong with "invite heavy, accept light" over "invite light, accept heavy".

This one might be "I'm not going to compromise on this one, partner", but it's "partnership harmony" and "style discussion" more than "masterminding".

Not only is there nothing wrong with ‘invite heavy, accept light, but it is in fact mathematically and demonstrably superior to the converse..invite light, accept heavy’

Bear in mind that we are discussing fine nuances An invite heavy, accept light, would invite with say Q10x xx AQ109x 10xx (if they don’t, they are not very good). Whereas an invite light, accept heavy might well pass without those 10s.

On 90% of hands (that’s my gut sense) both schools invite and accept or don’t invite at all…blast or pass.

Both schools will miss the same number of making games. The invite heavy miss some because partner held a good hand and/or the cards sat well, but responder had to pass 1N, in keeping with the style. The invite light, accept heavy will miss some games as well, since the invite is still only an invite and opener may be minimum yet the game makes anyway.

These misses should balance out…if not, then one pair is overdoing the ‘light’ or ‘heavy’ aspect.

So it’s a push in terms of reaching games…whether they make or fail.

The difference is in the number of times both styles stay out of game. When the invite heavy side stays out of game it’s usually because responder passed 1N. Otoh, when the invite light crowd stay out of game it’s usually because opener was minimum and passed 2N.

Ok…if you know you have about 23-24 hcp and have to choose between playing 1N or 2N, it’s a no-brainer. While both will often make,t here is no reward for bidding 2N and taking 8 tricks instead of taking the same tricks in 1N. But there is definitely a penalty for taking 7 tricks in 2N compared to 7 tricks in 1N…or taking 6 tricks in either contract.

The frequency of gain for invite heavy is low, but there is zero downside….obviously significant downside on individual hands but, summed over all the hands wherein one side plays 1N and the other plays 2N, the 1N crowd wins hands down.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#33 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-05, 20:01

View PostTylerE, on 2024-February-05, 17:11, said:

Give S a 3rd diamond if makes you feel better. Point still stands. (And this is why, playing 2/1 I'd start with 1S and not 1D in the first place. and just figure out once and for all if we have playable spades. If not, plenty of time to introduce diamonds.

Your point was that neither a fit nor extras had been promised. Give a third diamond and there is a fit, thus negating your point. I am not going to defend the bidding but the specific point you were making is just false. Starting with 1S holding 45 and a GF hand is just completely non-standard. No doubt it can work in the right MAF system but this is not really a system thread. Responding 1 here is completely normal.

#34 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-06, 01:53

View Postmikeh, on 2024-February-05, 19:09, said:

Not only is there nothing wrong with ‘invite heavy, accept light, but it is in fact mathematically and demonstrably superior to the converse..invite light, accept heavy’

Bear in mind that we are discussing fine nuances.

[...]
I don't think this is accurate. I think the conclusion, that 'invite heavy, accept light' is better than the converse, is false. And more strongly I think the explanation you gave has failed to take a number of relevant factors into account, so while each step is logical, it is not a mathematical proof (and in fact I think none exists, as I believe the conclusion to be false). However I fully agree with your second sentence, the differences will be slight either way. If there is interest in discussing this topic in more detail I'd be happy to start a new thread on it.

#35 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-06, 06:55

View Postmikeh, on 2024-February-05, 19:09, said:

I agree with your conclusion but I do think your analysis is missing an important component. The origin of this standard lies in pairs like Meckwell proving that bidding 23-24hcp games was very often a massive winner. Bidding game with 24 automatically reduces the number of invitational hands and this is the key to why the strategy works. Social bridge players who try to repeat this often find that they go down...a lot. This factor - minimum game raises opposite minimum openers - is the part that your analysis is not considering. For good players, I am convinced that it is the right way of playing. And it is the style I teach. I do have my doubts whether it is good for the lifetime novices in the club who will never become good enough to make those 24 point games though. Sometimes bad players need poor bidding strategies. I think they would be better off reducing both ranges and keeping the same structure but it looks bad if the room is making game and you did not try, so inviting light acts as a kind of blame transfer device. In social bridge, winning the post-mortem is often more important than winning the hand. We see that attitude almost every week on these forums!

#36 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2024-February-06, 16:26

Test
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#37 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-06, 17:34

View Postmikeh, on 2024-February-06, 16:26, said:

Test

Getting testy again?
Non legit hoc

#38 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2024-February-06, 19:21

View Postpilowsky, on 2024-February-06, 17:34, said:

Getting testy again?

It’s the only way I can post. I have to use a very short post…I haven’t experimented to see how short, since I learned that ‘test’ works. I then edit that post and can do so without limitation. However, then I have to actually write my full post and sometimes I realize that it’s getting too long or too convoluted…that latter was what happened here

But, yes, having to do this process does make me testy, lol.

#39 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-06, 21:01

View Postmikeh, on 2024-February-06, 19:21, said:

But, yes, having to do this process does make me testy, lol.

You can add your voice to the thread where I've mentioned the exact cause of your issues.. but BBO doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it :(

#40 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2024-February-07, 16:33

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-February-06, 21:01, said:

You can add your voice to the thread where I've mentioned the exact cause of your issues.. but BBO doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it :(

Or even in acknowledging / addressing the precise issue you identified :(

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users