• You cannot reply to this topic

Must work on my poker face :-)

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-20, 07:47

MPs

That was almost a bottom, one pair made 4 but all the rest but one were going off in 4 or 5. She said afterwards she felt I had the K. Damned women's intuition :lol:.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-November-20, 07:53

It’s clear you have the king if you didn’t u would’ve given P a trump promotion by playing a third club. You should still play a club at trick 4 no reason why the 9 and 6 of spades couldn’t be switched for example.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-20, 09:33

View Posteagles123, on 2022-November-20, 07:53, said:

It’s clear you have the king if you didn’t u would’ve given P a trump promotion by playing a third club. You should still play a club at trick 4 no reason why the 9 and 6 of spades couldn’t be switched for example.

She would have given me that reason if she really had worked that out so it is near certain she didn't.

#4 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-20, 16:16

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-20, 07:47, said:

That was almost a bottom, one pair made 4 but all the rest but one were going off in 4 or 5.

So it would have been an equally bad score even if she finessed the spade?

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-21, 01:58

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-November-20, 16:16, said:

So it would have been an equally bad score even if she finessed the spade?

Yes, but still irritating.

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-21, 03:57

Poker faces are difficult and some people notice people trying

#7 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-22, 02:08

I dislike 2NT intensely.

I prefer my two Surtees to either be weak or game forcing. This is neither, and the suits aren’t really that good either, they aren’t going to play well opposite 2 or 3 small.

#8 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-22, 14:25

View PostTylerE, on 2022-November-22, 02:08, said:

I dislike 2NT intensely.

I prefer my two Surtees to either be weak or game forcing. This is neither, and the suits aren’t really that good either, they aren’t going to play well opposite 2 or 3 small.

I take your point and I used to play it as either weak or strong, but several people I partner don't play it that way. If I am not using the unusual 2NT on a hand like that, I might as well take it off the card it comes up so infrequently as it is.

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-23, 10:02

I am moving away (quite strongly, in fact) from "mini-maxi" two-suited bids to "it has some cards, and some expectation that declaring will be right". And that goes double for 2NT.

The mini- always seems to end up defending, and somehow they declare better when they know where all the cards are. When we do play it, it's for 800 into game or worse. The maxi never happens, and partner doesn't know what to do with their two queens when it does.

Of course, I also play a set of constructive advances I first heard about from McKenzie Myers (back when he was a pro player). Which work well if you actually have something.

So I actually am interested in 2NT here. Pity partner has misfitting nothing.

But as I say a lot - including just yesterday here - it doesn't matter what I think, or what anybody else here thinks; if it's a 2NT bid to partner, then you make it. If it's not a 2NT bid in partner's eyes, you don't.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-November-23, 21:03

View PostAL78, on 2022-November-22, 14:25, said:

I take your point and I used to play it as either weak or strong, but several people I partner don't play it that way. If I am not using the unusual 2NT on a hand like that, I might as well take it off the card it comes up so infrequently as it is.

It's 6-5 non-vulnerable. 2NT for me every time.

#11 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-November-29, 15:52

View Postmycroft, on 2022-November-23, 10:02, said:

I am moving away (quite strongly, in fact) from "mini-maxi" two-suited bids to "it has some cards, and some expectation that declaring will be right". And that goes double for 2NT.

The mini- always seems to end up defending, and somehow they declare better when they know where all the cards are. When we do play it, it's for 800 into game or worse. The maxi never happens, and partner doesn't know what to do with their two queens when it does.

Of course, I also play a set of constructive advances I first heard about from McKenzie Myers (back when he was a pro player). Which work well if you actually have something.

So I actually am interested in 2NT here. Pity partner has misfitting nothing.

But as I say a lot - including just yesterday here - it doesn't matter what I think, or what anybody else here thinks; if it's a 2NT bid to partner, then you make it. If it's not a 2NT bid in partner's eyes, you don't.

That seems like more of an argument for finding a better use for 2NT to me, which I don't actually disagree with. Micheals tends to do a lot better since you can outbid them more cheaply.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users