BBO Discussion Forums: Negative Double After Weak 2 Bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Negative Double After Weak 2 Bid?

#1 User is offline   msheald 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-24, 04:07

Hello! Is it permissible to use a negative double after a weak 2 bid?

My partner and I played an unusual hand. He opened a weak 2 spades bid. His LHO overcalled 3 hearts. I had 1-1-6-5 distribution. I used a negative double and hoped he would choose his best minor. He thought my bid was for penalty and left it in. We went down for a bottom board, while the hand actually made 4 clubs or 5 diamonds since since he had 6-1-3-3 distribution.

He thought that it might be better to bid a suit rather than use a negative double since a negative double takes away the use of a penalty double. As responder, I thought that there would be an increased chance of bidding a suit that he was short in, especially since I would have had to bid it at the 4 level. So, there are pros/cons each way.

We are discussing whether to use negative doubles in the case of overcall by ops of a weak 2 opening. I wanted to get folks opinions about the pros/cons of using it in such a way. Thank you and best regards.

Mike

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-24, 04:18

When you preempt, your side is generally not going to be looking for another suit to be trumps. The preempt also makes it more dangerous for the opponents to interfere. Putting these two things together means that negative doubles are less useful and penalty doubles are more useful. In fact, it's an almost universal agreement that if you preempt, your partner's double is for penalties.

#3 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-24, 06:30

View Postmsheald, on 2022-September-24, 04:07, said:

My partner and I played an unusual hand. He opened a weak 2 spades bid. His LHO overcalled 3 hearts. I had 1-1-6-5 distribution. I used a negative double and hoped he would choose his best minor. He thought my bid was for penalty and left it in. We went down for a bottom board, while the hand actually made 4 clubs or 5 diamonds since since he had 6-1-3-3 distribution.

He thought that it might be better to bid a suit rather than use a negative double since a negative double takes away the use of a penalty double. As responder, I thought that there would be an increased chance of bidding a suit that he was short in, especially since I would have had to bid it at the 4 level. So, there are pros/cons each way.

We are discussing whether to use negative doubles in the case of overcall by ops of a weak 2 opening. I wanted to get folks opinions about the pros/cons of using it in such a way. Thank you and best regards.

Mike

if your partner open a 2 weak he have in most case a 6322 or 6331 distribution he may have a 6421 distribition so negative double do not make sense .
in you case the best option to compet is biding your hire ranking suit and maybe the lower ranking suit later

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-24, 07:44

View Postmsheald, on 2022-September-24, 04:07, said:

Mike

It’s permissible but it’s a very bad idea.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-26, 12:43

Yes. "I like the other two suits, partner, pick one" doesn't play well with "my hand is only useful in this suit, partner". Which is what (most agreements on) preempts say.

And "hey partner, this is a misfit auction and you pushed them too high! Thanks for that!" is a *great* meaning for double. Doesn't happen often, but when it does...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users