• You cannot reply to this topic

Anybody's guess

#21 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-September-23, 11:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-23, 03:15, said:

Partner's hand is in fact either J10x, void, AKQxxxx, Jxx or the same with the majors reversed, if you pick a major, you won't be doubled, but if you pick the wrong one you won't make. 5 loses the first 3 tricks and as it happens a trump.

I thought the gambling 3NT denied a void.

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-23, 12:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-23, 05:18, said:

Also does everybody play 4N as "bid your minor" rather than 5 as p/c, 4N as "I have 4 tricks, bid 6 with an 8th one" was what I was taught

Yes, I thought that is was a natural slam try. But 3NT is relatively rare and I have never come across a 4NT raise at the table and would be nervous that there could easily be a misunderstanding. I have bid 4NT in competition, but then the meaning is simply "I can make 10 tricks".

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-23, 13:21

View PostAL78, on 2022-September-23, 11:47, said:

I thought the gambling 3NT denied a void.

Some people play it that way, I would have put that condition in the OP if we played it that way

#24 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-23, 15:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-23, 03:15, said:

Partner's hand is in fact either J10x, void, AKQxxxx, Jxx or the same with the majors reversed, if you pick a major, you won't be doubled, but if you pick the wrong one you won't make. 5 loses the first 3 tricks and as it happens a trump.

a running minor W/O THE JACK ?
AS FAR AS I KNOW a runing minor is AKQJ xxx and pray partner have some cards
T 987 32 can be Held by 1 oponet on you have 5 trick in suit !!!!

#25 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-September-24, 12:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-23, 05:46, said:

We have history with this, The same hand without the 10 turned up years ago, most of the field didn't open 3N, partner had a flat hand with 3 AKs, we bid 3N-7N most of the field couldn't find the 7th card for the 13th trick and played 6. This basically won us a trophy as it was against the pair that finished second (the +1130 on the other board of the set didn't hurt either)

possibly my favourite hand of all time involved a gambling 3N opening, partner opened 3N and I had something like AKxx Axx - AKQxxx, and we had had no discussion on followups so I made the practical bid of 7D, which fortunately made. A flat board when the other table had a much more intricate relay auction to the same spot! An unusual situation to say the least where my first bid in an auction was grand in an unbid suit where I was void :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-24, 12:24

View Postmichel444, on 2022-September-23, 15:41, said:

a running minor W/O THE JACK ?
AS FAR AS I KNOW a runing minor is AKQJ xxx and pray partner have some cards
T 987 32 can be Held by 1 oponet on you have 5 trick in suit !!!!

The theory is that AKQxxxx is odds on for 7 tricks opposite a small singleton, so many people consider it sufficient. If you require the J it becomes so infrequent you might want to find another use for the bid.

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-September-24, 12:27

View Posteagles123, on 2022-September-24, 12:03, said:

possibly my favourite hand of all time involved a gambling 3N opening, partner opened 3N and I had something like AKxx Axx - AKQxxx, and we had had no discussion on followups so I made the practical bid of 7D, which fortunately made. A flat board when the other table had a much more intricate relay auction to the same spot! An unusual situation to say the least where my first bid in an auction was grand in an unbid suit where I was void :)

My favourite G3N story is not totally relevant to this thread, because it was when a partner of mine who I didn't think was capable of the feat psyched it. The guy on lead did what you're supposed to do, cashed his ace and seeing my xx, played another. Partner at this point cashed the rest of his KQxxxxx and went for -100 or 150 against a cold game.

#28 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-24, 17:18

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-24, 12:24, said:

The theory is that AKQxxxx is odds on for 7 tricks opposite a small singleton, so many people consider it sufficient. If you require the J it becomes so infrequent you might want to find another use for the bid.

SOMONE MAKE A GAMBLING 3NT
I have Jxx Jxx you know he is misiing the J
do he have or ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users