• You cannot reply to this topic

Bid 6 Spades Without Gadgets

#21 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-February-16, 14:26

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-February-15, 18:07, said:

I was watching a intermediate/advanced game and this hand appeared. The traveller the next day showed that less than 40% reached 6, with one reaching the worse contract of 6NT (-2) at IMPS.

For a minute you are not a expert or very advanced and playing with a pick-up partner and are using a basic system such as Vanilla 2/1, SAYC or Acol, and only have Blackwood or Roman Key Blackwood on your convention card, what do you think is the best or right auction to get to 6? (Some of the ones that I saw were not good, just gambling.)

White vs. Red. IMPS. No opponents bidding. West Dealer.

1s-2d
2h-2s
3c-3D
3h-4C
4D-4h
4nt-5h
6s
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#22 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-16, 16:19

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-February-16, 04:48, said:

The double jump is ridiculous, we have an excellent hand for slam and we're eating two levels of bidding space. Partner doesn't even know our shape yet! I would consider jumping to 4 with something like Qxx, xx, KQJxx, KJx, but not many other hands.

Sorry, should have said, it is not a 2/1gf sequence. If you have no bidding gadget (KC, eg), you would not play 2/1, I guess.

In that context, 2S should show a tolerance for S, no H fit, no repeatable D, and no stopper in C, and a non gf hand, sth like

Qx
Qxx
AKxxx
xxx

Where the 2D bid stuck you (while it is an easy 1NT bid in 2/1).

Then 3S the big forcing rase and 4S remains for those « min » gf hands (strength, poor trump support, etc).

Of course in 2/1 you can take your time (and that is why it is often said that 2/1 is actually easier, I guess, as you’ve already said you are playing game).

#23 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-16, 16:49

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-February-15, 18:07, said:

I was watching a intermediate/advanced game and this hand appeared. The traveller the next day showed that less than 40% reached 6, with one reaching the worse contract of 6NT (-2) at IMPS.

For a minute you are not a expert or very advanced and playing with a pick-up partner and are using a basic system such as Vanilla 2/1, SAYC or Acol, and only have Blackwood or Roman Key Blackwood on your convention card, what do you think is the best or right auction to get to 6? (Some of the ones that I saw were not good, just gambling.)

I think several people here are overthinking this problem, or not being realistic about what one can expect from a pickup partner in an I/A game.

Say partner promises to play "2/1" and you have no further opportunity to discuss. It has to start 1 2 2. Now 4 is almost certain to kill the auction. Yes 2 is legitimate given the game force and distribution, but given what you already know do you really want to get into the awkward and poorly standardized followups to that, rather than simply bid 3, which clearly says "we will play spades and I have some interest in slam"? Now an optimistic advanced partner might make some kind of control-bid, anyone else is going to bid 4NT with reply 2 keycards which leads to slam.

What you would bid with your regular or ideal partner is academic here and quite likely to place you in the 60% that missed the obvious slam, IMO.

#24 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-22, 23:25

Out of my depth in the wrong forum but if any basic system (plus Blackwood - not strictly necessary) can't reach 6S on a reasonable number of tables its time to find another system. Maybe that explains why I'm still learning the complexities of the game. I guess there is the risk of missing a better score. If partner shows any kind of game force followed by enough for 4S (especially via jump) explore slam immediately of just bid 6

#25 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-February-22, 23:45

Without any gadgets at all? 2 - 6 seems to get the job done. Easy life.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users