BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding question - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding question What should South bid in this situation?

#1 User is offline   nuttypro 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-February-13, 22:27

E opened 1

South holds:
K A94 Q753 KJ865

My personal bid was X. The intent was to show at least 3+ in every other suit, and roughly opening points.

My partner says this is not the best bid, and wants me to bid 2C instead. On one hand it does immediately show a 5 card suit, but doesn't convey anything about other suits.
However I'm not convinced this is the best bid, for this simple reason: My partner can now easily compete in any suit if he's got a good 4 card or 5 card suit.

What do people think?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-February-13, 23:01

I would double

The club suit is too weak for me to bid 2C, if I have any alternative. In addition, while not an absolute rule, I like to have a 6 card suit for a 2 level overcall.obviously that isn’t always possible, but imo one definitely needs a good suit. They can double us for penalty more often at the two level than at the one level, where my approach is a lot more flexible.

Fwiw, I don’t think much of this hand at all. Short hearts. Weak suits with no intermediates and that stiff spade King, which may well be useful on defence but usually won’t be much of an asset if we declare the hand, especially if I lay down dummy.

These days, one has to take some action just to stay with the field….everyone’s bidding so, if it doesn’t work out, we have ample company. If we pass, we’d better be right, since we’ll have little company.

I think the odds slightly favour bidding, hence double.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2022-February-13, 23:20

I have a different take than Mike. If I were to bid it would be double - but I would pass. This hand is more defensively orientated than offensive and I see no reason to get myself into a fix by suggesting otherwise with any kind of bids.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-13, 23:57

Double >> 2C. As Mike and Winston highlight, the debate should be between double and pass. As always, scoring and vulnerability are relevant here, but I will double most of the time. It's a bad hand with only three hearts, but getting into the auction works more often than it should.

#5 User is offline   nuttypro 

• Pip

Posted 2022-February-14, 00:06

Yes, I should also have mentioned that I too felt my clubs weren't that great to be overcalling 2C as opposed to X. If I held AKQxx or AKxxx for example, I'd probably prefer to bid 2C personally - this shows a clear good suit, and is lead directing.

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 02:54

I would not bid 2 even with AKxxx and I still don't love it with AKQxx, though mostly because the hand is too strong by that point. Competing with 2m on five card suits is not winning bridge, and you need significant compensation to make up for that.

I would double over pass always. The hand is offensively oriented, and if we pass we will likely face the same issue but a level or two higher next round. Quick in, quick out.

#7 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-February-14, 04:29

I bid X or NT takeout depending on partner.

Vulnerability would matter if bidding 2 and the shape wasn't there for the takeout

#8 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 05:18

Poor suits, stiff K, no 4 card suit I would pass. You only get in to trouble if you bid here: partner will expect better. The opponents will probably outbid you in s. The last thing I want is partner competing in an auction that goes 1 - X - 3/4 (weak) - ??? By passing that will not happen.

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-February-14, 06:01

The stiff king behind the opener who will often have the ace is often worth one trick in defence and zero when declaring (or being dummy). So pass is quite reasonable.

If you want to do something with this hand, then the chance of finding an 8-card fit is probably similar for double and 2. 2 might be a bit better when partner is a passed hand (especially if you play an undisciplined preempt style so partner's pass suggest a balanced hand) while dbl tends to work a bit better opposite a partner who could still have a 6-card diamonds or hearts. The risk of going for -800 or worse if bigger for 2 than dbl so vulnerability is also a consideration.

2 doesn't disturb opps over a 1 opening and could actually help opps a bit if they play 2/1 as LHO now gets the chance to make a negative double instead of the non-descriptive 1NT response. But over a 1 opening, the disruptive effect of 2 is worth consideriing, especially if they play 4-card majors.

2 is also lead directing but in this case you might not have a strong preference for a club lead, and you are likely to be on lead yourself, especially if they play 5-card majors.

Above all it is important to have an understanding with partner. If you always double with this shape, partner will know that they can raise your clubs aggressively but they can't assume that you have four hearts when you double.

As you can see from the other comments, almost all modern experts would double.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is online   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 07:11

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-February-14, 06:01, said:

the chance of finding an 8-card fit is probably similar for double and 2.

I no longer have the notes from my calculations, but:

Suppose you have 5431 shape with shortness in opener's suit. Suppose also that an angel has whispered in your ear that your side has an 8-card fit.

Then the chance that is in your 5-card suit is significantly lower than the combined chances that it is in your 3- or 4-card.

Carl

#11 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2022-February-14, 07:39

View Postbluenikki, on 2022-February-14, 07:11, said:

Suppose you have 5431 shape with shortness in opener's suit. Suppose also that an angel has whispered in your ear that your side has an 8-card fit.

Then the chance that is in your 5-card suit is significantly lower than the combined chances that it is in your 3- or 4-card.

Carl

Yes but partner would prefer to bid a 4-card hearts to a 4-card diamonds.
But quite possibly you are right anyway.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-February-14, 09:00

Carl

My worry is that unless the angel also whispers in my partner's ear that it's only an 8 card fit, we might well get too high

#13 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 10:48

This sounds like something from Ely Culbertson to me B-)

You may be right, but my gut feeling is that the combined chances of the short suits will be about the same as the long suit.

#14 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-February-14, 13:16

View Postpescetom, on 2022-February-14, 10:48, said:

This sounds like something from Ely Culbertson to me B-)

You may be right, but my gut feeling is that the combined chances of the short suits will be about the same as the long suit.

It has to be factored in that that the probability of finding the fit in one of the short suits after a TOX should it exist is less than 100%. For example, partner with 4-4 in the red suits will likely bid hearts in preference to diamonds.

#15 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 14:22

View PostAL78, on 2022-February-14, 13:16, said:

It has to be factored in that that the probability of finding the fit in one of the short suits after a TOX should it exist is less than 100%. For example, partner with 4-4 in the red suits will likely bid hearts in preference to diamonds.

I was referring to the statistical probability of fit, but of course you are right in terms of actually finding a fit. Many with 4 hearts and 5 clubs would bid hearts after double, come to that. There is however also the issue that 2 is not very preemptive and if made on 5=cards then a raise requires 4+card fit to be protected by LoTT. There is also vulnerability, not specified here.

#16 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 16:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-February-14, 06:01, said:

The risk of going for -800 or worse if bigger for 2 than dbl so vulnerability is also a consideration.

This point is the crux of the objection in my view. 2C is much more committal than double, so when you're wrong you can be very wrong. And partner won't be able to save you very much. If your partner sees the auction:

(1S) - 2C - (P) - P
(X) - P - (P) - ?

They won't be able to run much of the time even when it's right. Are they really bidding 2D with KTxxx and two small clubs, for example? And if you hear that auction you know you're in trouble long before dummy hits.

Contrast this to the difficulty of effectively penalising your side after a double. They're off to a good start if LHO can redouble to show values, but they still have to have the appropriate trump holding even if you wind up in some trouble. And if you belong in clubs, partner may well be able to pass to show no preference and you can scramble there anyway. Often the opponents can't quite untangle their holdings and wind up just bidding some suits or jumping to 3NT.

#17 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-February-14, 17:18

View Postnuttypro, on 2022-February-13, 22:27, said:

E opened 1

South holds:
K A94 Q753 KJ865

My personal bid was X. The intent was to show at least 3+ in every other suit, and roughly opening points.

My partner says this is not the best bid, and wants me to bid 2C instead. On one hand it does immediately show a 5 card suit, but doesn't convey anything about other suits.
However I'm not convinced this is the best bid, for this simple reason: My partner can now easily compete in any suit if he's got a good 4 card or 5 card suit.

What do people think?

if you polled 100 experts on that hand, I can almost guarantee that none of them would bid 2C. It's just a bad bid, deserves to find partner 3541 or some such where you're down in 2C and cold for 4H. I think it's a pretty clear double, can't give up with this good a hand, but even passing is significantly better than 2C. your partner is just plain wrong.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#18 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2022-February-14, 18:34

However, I am of the opinion that the partner finds the bidding of 2 more useful for his line (it is probably white) than that of Double which after indicates fourths because he has a sufficient complement to for a suitable competitive bid to push the other line out of contract in and this may be more likely to hit some contract. The bidding of 2 must be considered (after 1 ) therefore ambiguous ensuring something else not easily biddable.

#19 User is offline   nuttypro 

• Pip

Posted 2022-February-14, 21:27

Some excellent points everyone, thanks so much!

I have an add on to my original question: let's say bidding goes:
N - declarer, my partner, is dealer and has passed. Agreement that we open with 11pt.
Both Vul.

To refresh everyone's memory, South holds:
K A94 Q753 KJ865

North East South West
Pass 1 ?

Same question as before: X, 2C or pass? The only options I was considering were pass or X. I felt it was the only time I can get into the auction, and I did not think 2c is a good bid.

Thanks!

#20 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-February-14, 22:09

The considerations are basically the same as when partner's not a passed hand, but there are a couple of interesting differences. It's much less likely partner will push to a game and it's more likely that if you don't act now your side will be silent throughout. You also have a somewhat higher risk of winding up in trouble by acting, since partner's average point-count is lower.

The vulnerability isn't great for you to act either. With game being mostly out of the picture, being vul means there is a larger downside to acting. This is particularly true at matchpoints where opponents will often make a speculative double looking for +200. If they do that, you know they're likely to be rewarded. However, this is balanced at matchpoints by the chance to compete and not let them have a smooth auction to whatever they were going to reach.

Another point which Mike raised is that your hand is probably worth one more trick on defence than offence. Your SK will get picked off when your side declares the hand, which argues for conservative decisions.

No clear answers, I'm afraid - there are positives and negatives when partner's a passed hand. The scoring method also offers positives and negatives to be considered. The most important point is to know whether this hand is within range of a double in your partnership's style. I think it should be, but would not criticise a partnership for deciding this is too flawed for a double.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users