• This topic is locked

Book Reviews

#321 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-March-29, 02:27

I love this game (Sabine Auken)

Auken discusses the last 16 boards of the Venice Cup final 2001, in which Germany made a great come-back against France. From each of the 16 boards a point is distiled, which is subsequently discussed using examples from other events.

Some examples of topics she discusses:
- Team building and cohesion
- Why she wears fashionable clothes at bridge events.
- Her pet peve: The abuse of the word "standard" to distinguish some arbitrary treatments (standard carding, standard bidding)
- When to show count and when to show attitude
- Advantages of the weak 1NT openig
- etc.

The book is suitable for good intermediates and advanced players.

Auken is a non-conformist in many (most) of those areas, and as such the points she makes are interesting. But overall, I didn't like the book. She covers too many topics. And the style of writing is annoying. I was left with a feeling (I might be wrong) that the book would have made a better read if she'd written it in German.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#322 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-March-29, 02:48

helene_t, on Mar 29 2007, 03:27 AM, said:

I love this game (Sabine Auken)

Sabine discusses the last 16 boards of the Venice Cup final 2001, in which Germany made a great come-back against France. From each of the 16 boards a point is distiled, which is subsequently discussed using examples from other events.

Some examples of topics she discusses:
- Team building and cohesion
- Why she wears fashionable clothes at bridge events.
- Her pet peve: The abuse of the word "standard" to distinguish some arbitrary treatments (standard carding, standard bidding)
- When to show count and when to show attitude
- Advantages of the weak 1NT openig
- etc.

The book is suitable for good intermediates and advanced players.

Auken is a non-conformist in many (most) of those areas, and as such the points she makes are interesting. But overall, I didn't like the book. She covers too many topics. And the style of writing is annoying. I was left with a feeling (I might be wrong) that the book would have made a better read if she'd written it in German.

yep..Ihope i reviewed this book....last year

number one book of last year for me...easy...

Biggest problem?....this was an easy choice...general interest book...loads of fun.....:wacko:

Big problem since this was an easy number one choice for me....many poor "other choices"

......reading 4 new 2007 books...this first one seems 4 stars so far..I hope,:)

#323 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-March-29, 21:35

I am reading Paul Mendelson's "100 Tips for Better Bridge". I think it's great. It has a very attractive set-out: large pages, one tip per page, each tip illustrated with a couple of deals, and cards are offset from the text in boxes. Paul is an expert from England and he writes well, with humour added. The book is for intermediate-advanced players. It has sections on bidding, play and defence. It seems a bit quirky that he would give personal background on most of the deals, but it works: most bridge books I only dip into occasionally, but I find I'm reading this one all the way through. For me, it's a kind of revision. Also, I'm looking for ideas for lessons. I would include it in my list of 4 must-have bridge books for intermediates.
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#324 User is offline   rusty 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-March-30, 13:26

I've never read any of the world championship books. I'm curious to know if they teach you anything about the newer bidding and lead conventions. Do they cover them in detail, or do they just skim the surface?

I'm willing to start with one year, and am wondering which years do you recommend I read and why?

Thanks.

#325 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-March-30, 15:26

I love the world championship books, you get to see how several top pairs bid and played the same hands, read expert analysis, see what kind of bidding conventions are in use, the caliber of play you can expect once you get to that level, etc etc. They are really good reads if youre into that kind of stuff.

#326 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-March-31, 02:19

The books in my library can be seen on my site. I also highlight the eight that I would take to the desert island (c.f., Desert Island Discs).

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#327 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-11, 10:33

Leading Questions in Bridge. Sally Brock. 2007. $17.95. 176pp.
Level=Intermediate
Grade=A+

The first great book of 2007. It will be tough to beat this one for book of the year.
A great, short, and fast read on opening leads. Chapters on leading your longest and strongest, partner's suit, unbid suit, what cards in a suit you should lead, trump leads, leading stiffs and leading Aces among others. When should the opening leader be active or passive?

So much information that is presented in a very readable and enjoyable form. I intend on rereading this book in a couple of months. Buy this book!

#328 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2007-April-16, 10:15

Kantar for the Defense, vol 2 by Eddie Kantar

Excellent. Must read for all advanced players. Worth reading for Intermediates as well. The hands are quite a bit harder than the first volume. Lots of subtleties, and pitfalls. Nice summary of points and lessons after each hand.

Lots of questions on carding agreements, figuring out shapes, tricks, honor location, blocking suits.

#329 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-April-20, 05:29

effervesce, on Mar 29 2007, 08:00 AM, said:

Did anybody mention [Andrew Robson/]Oliver Segal's "Partnership bidding at bridge" ? [......] An electronic book can be found at
http://www.geocities.com/daniel_neill_2000...ingAtBridge.ZIP

Probably the best book on bidding theory I ever read.

In-depth coverage of contested auctions after we opened with a natural bid in a suit or made a simple overcall in a suit. The book is concise: theory and illustrative examples, but very little pep talk. Suitable for advanced players. It doesn't really matter what system you play (Precision, Acol, SA .....) since the principles are general. Whenever some of their proposed methods get influenced by the system, they discuss that in details.

The author's main point is that you need to describe your hand as accurately as possible so that partner can make an informed decision if opps compete further. This is especially true when you have a primary fit for partner's suit, in which case opps are likely to have a fit as well. The authors emphasize the significance of a double fit for the combined O/D ratio of the two hands and recommend using many bids in a new suit as fit-showing. In general, according to the authors, O/D ratio is more important than overall strength.

The authors also propose some interesting system modifications. One is the use of 2 as a support transfer by opener after partner showed spades and opps overcalled 2m in the sandwich position.

Some minor complaints:
- I'd prefer to buy the printed book instead of downloading it
- A reference sheet with all their proposed methods would be nice
- Many typos, some of which make the text difficult to understand
- The humor is a little too dry for my taste.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#330 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-April-20, 09:56

I read Roy Hughes new book "The Canadian Bridge Warriors" - a Sami Kehela - Eric Murray biography last week. Just received it from Masterpoint Press.

The book is very well written and is entertaining. Lots of good stories and humorous anecdotes. You really gets under the skin of two of the biggest personalities of the bridge world. Well done Roy!
Kind regards,
Harald

#331 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-April-20, 10:07

David Bird: Off-Road Declarer Play - Unusual Ways to Play a Bridge Hand. Another new book from Masterpoint Press.

In 14 chapters, each covering a separate topic, Bird presents double dummy deals to teach the different technics. The hands are composed extremely well. Each chapter is rounded off with a quiz - 2-4 single dummy problems covered in the chapter.

The book is in Bird's well-known style.

I've read 3/4 of the book this far. I've spotted two minor mis-analyses (side points, the main problem is correctly solved) in the quizzes and only one typo! For such a book that's impressive.

I strongly recommend the book for those who need to improve their declarer play on their way to becoming true experts.
Kind regards,
Harald

#332 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-20, 13:22

The finner arts of bridge by victor mollo
Great book lots of fun to read.
Deals with non technical espects of the game.
Recommanded to any adv+ player, weaker players will enjoy but the book assume a certain level of play and defence and take it a step further.

#333 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2007-April-21, 09:31

helene_t, on Apr 20 2007, 06:29 AM, said:

Probably the best book on bidding theory I ever read.

[snip]

Some minor complaints:
- I'd prefer to buy the printed book instead of downloading it
- A reference sheet with all their proposed methods would be nice
- Many typos, some of which make the text difficult to understand
- The humor is a little too dry for my taste.

I agree with Helene's assessment.

On the complaints:

I have 2 copies of the printed book.
A reference would be nice, yeah. If I had time... we'll see. Don't hold your breath. B)
I've noticed a marked drop in editing quality in many books in recent years, particularly in "electronic books". Not very professional, IMO. :(
They're English. :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#334 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-21, 11:03

Jeff Rubens, The secrets of winning bridge

Rubens covers a lot of topics - adjusting hand valuation during the bidding depending on location of honors, difference tactics at many different kind of scorings (including some you may have never heard of), both for bidding and play, etc. When to make a safety play in a slam at matchpoints.

A friend of mine highly recommended this book, but I didn't like it very much. It is full of general rules, and when Rubens gives examples, they are always so extreme that I find them hardly valuable. For example he explains that at IMPs, you should look for the safer contract, and then gives an example auction where responder holds A62 K8 AQJ7 KJ95 opposite a strong 1NT opening (15-17). Well, unless you are afraid of misunderstandings, I think it is obvious to look for a minor suit slam here instead of just blasting 6N. I think one can learn more if an expert shows me a hand where he explains "this may be a borderline case, 6N could be right opposite ..., but..."
In other parts (about safety plays vs playing for overtricks at matchpoints), he is using a lot of math, which always tires me (despite being a mathematician): but then he doesn't even go through with it consistently and correctly.

Maybe I am slightly unfair to the book, as according to Rubens' claims in the introduction, all the topics he is covering had hardly been treated in the literature before that, and as he is intentionally just showing the principles instead of guiding the reader concretely. So as a book to learn from, it's just not my taste; if you just treat it as a collection of essays on some general strategies at bridge, maybe you can get something out of it. And if you are a reader of the bridge world, you may already know whether you like Rubens' writings.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#335 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-30, 10:47

Canada's Bridge Warriors: Eric Murray and Sami Kehela. Roy Hughes. 2007. 336pp. $23.95
Level=General Interest
Grade=A

Murray and Kehela were the most successful bridge pair Canada has ever produced. Entertaining book full of many bridge hands from over 30 years of play.

Two points I found very interesting. Despite the fact they lived within walking distance of each other they never socialized together since they felt this may harm their game by making it stale. The second point is that they quit playing top level bridge at a very young age. They lost some of the enjoyment of the game. Kehela lost some enjoyment in the game from the proliferation of systems and conventions, particularly artificial weak bids with potentially many meanings that made the game less fun to play at the world level.

"In an Olympiad, you are playing three matches a day. You don't know whom you are going to be playing. Who has the time or inclination to prepare defenses to dozens of conventions that you may never have to face? You need a full time coach to prepare methods for you. Kokish does that for his clients."

#336 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-May-15, 06:24

My System The Unbalanced Diamond. Marshall Miles. 2007. 152pp. $18.95
Grade=B
Level=Advanced

Marshall recently won the gold medal in the World Senior Teams playing The Unbalanced Diamond system. It is a forcing club system with several types of strong opening bids. 1D openings are 11-16 hcp short in any suit, no 5+ major, 14 hcp max with a 4 card major.

Marshall's ideas are always interesting and people who enjoy reading system books should enjoy this one.

#337 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-May-15, 06:32

A New Approach to Play and Defense - vol 2 by Eddie Kantar

Excellent Intermediate Plus/Advanced book. 100 declarer and defense problems, arranced into pairs. You declare a hand and then somewhere else in the book you defend against a similar (but not identicle) hand.

As always counting is very important. You must read pards signals. But thats just the beginning. You need to place the unscene cards, and picure what card pard needs to set the contract. You need to anticipate endplays. There are a few sqeezes too, though Kantars problems tend to focus on non-squeeze problems (unlike some of Pottages and Jannerstens books).

As the card play progresses you are asked guiding questions (skip them if you are really good!) like "What is the heart layout (after a round of hearts)"

At the end of the problem are a few pointers.

An enjoyable book, well done, and challenging.

Its been a couple of years since reading the first volume, but I seem to remember it not being as hard as this. Same for Kantar for the Defense. Volume 2 was much harder than Volume 1.

#338 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-June-04, 11:43

Off-Road Declarer Play. David Bird. 2007. $18.95. 219pp.
Level=Intermediate/Advanced
Grade=A

Excellent Declarer play book. I found the problems very tough but many of them solvable for nonexperts. If you find these solutions at the table you are winning alot. Most nonexperts will find the first half of the book more useful.

Some of the methods discussed are creating entries, surviving bad trump breaks and elopements. For higher advanced players, some squeezes and steeping stone techniques are discussed at the end. An excellent book I intend on rereading soon.

#339 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-04, 12:30

Positive Declarer Play - Reese / Pottage
Positive Defense - Reese / Pottage

Both are from advanced intermediate to advanced. The emphasis is on technique and visualization. Some (too many) problems involve non-simple squeezes. Also, a few far fetched problems. While the books are worth reading I didn't find them as good as some others on similar topics. I'd rate them B-

Defend These Hands With Me - Julian Pottage

I liked this more than the above two books, though some of the card play was a bit hard to follow. (It was easy to miss that a player had shown out, or a card discarded, the author uses MUD leads, and the author doesn't tell you what pard or declarer played - if he felt it was unimportant). The bidding is also confusing, though thankfully you get to see teh bidding summary after the verbal description.
Asside from that I liked the book. There is a nice recap after each problem where the author discusses a theme. Its more on the advanced side than intermediate. Some of the hands were not that good, but overall its a good book. I give it a B or B+.

#340 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-June-12, 06:43

Masterpieces of Declarer Play by Julian Pottage

72 single dummy problems, broken into 3 groups: NT, suit, and bonus
The problems are on the advanced side (its got some advanced squeezes like triple and compound). Some of the inferences I don't agree with and therefore the hands are not really solvable by the clues given. For example - many would make a weak 2 jump overcall with 6 hearts headed by the AJxxxx non-vulnerable against vulnerable opponents opening a minor. And many would not open a hand containing 10 HCP consisting of 1 Ace and 2 Kings and not great shape like 5-5-3-0. Even so, I found the problems mosly interesting, with subtle uses of spot cards and end plays, and playing for certain shapes. For advanced players I give it a B-.

Here is problem 31

(opponents silent)
pard opens 2NT - 3, 3 super accept- 4

West leads the 4 to your ace, east plays the 2, showing an odd # of clubs. How do you play to make 4?

solution hidden below
Spoiler

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook