BBO Discussion Forums: Tournament with interesting hands - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament with interesting hands

#1 User is offline   bridgebaba 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-07, 02:08

I thought a tourney with interesting bridge hands
would be enjoyable and I am making BAKLAVA tourneys daily at 18GMT..

When I make slam or grandslam hands in tourney,
players get angry and leave the tourney
because they think tourney is Goulash..
Even they blame me that this is not bridge!

Please share your thoughts with me?

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-March-07, 05:00

As long as they are made aware beforehand the hands are not random I don't think they have cause for complaint. My suggestion would be if you are constructing or pre-selecting past hands, try to make sure the cards go both ways at roughly equal frequency (i.e. both sides have a roughly equal amount of time defending or declaring assuming reasonable bidding). If I entered an "interesting hands" tournament and it went pass pass pass defend defend defend for three quarters of the session I would be a bit miffed (I get enough of that with the normal BBO sessions).

I would also think about what what you mean by "interesing". To me, it means hands where some pretty (and/or non-obvious) technical play or partnership co-operation in the bidding/play is needed to get the optimal score. Goulash deals whith extreme double fitting two suiters where it is a complete crap shoot whether to bid six over six or double are not interesting to me.

The hands in these books are what I would class as interesting:

http://www.thegamesj...s/StTitus.shtml

If they are complaining merely because you bid and made a grand slam, they need to get a grip. Grand slams are very rare, but very rare doesn't mean never. Maybe if you got five in one session I would be suspicious you had biased the hands in your direction.

Goulash is bridge, it is not standard bridge but it is still bridge. You have a partner, you have to bid for the contract, you have to make the contract if you win the auction or try to take all your tricks in defence if you lose the auction, and the result is scored, so it's bridge.

#3 User is offline   bridgebaba 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-March-07, 05:15

View PostAL78, on 2021-March-07, 05:00, said:

As long as they are made aware beforehand the hands are not random I don't think they have cause for complaint. My suggestion would be if you are constructing or pre-selecting past hands, try to make sure the cards go both ways at roughly equal frequency (i.e. both sides have a roughly equal amount of time defending or declaring assuming reasonable bidding). If I entered an "interesting hands" tournament and it went pass pass pass defend defend defend for three quarters of the session I would be a bit miffed (I get enough of that with the normal BBO sessions).

I would also think about what what you mean by "interesing". To me, it means hands where some pretty (and/or non-obvious) technical play or partnership co-operation in the bidding/play is needed to get the optimal score. Goulash deals whith extreme double fitting two suiters where it is a complete crap shoot whether to bid six over six or double are not interesting to me.

The hands in these books are what I would class as interesting:

http://www.thegamesj...s/StTitus.shtml

If they are complaining merely because you bid and made a grand slam, they need to get a grip. Grand slams are very rare, but very rare doesn't mean never. Maybe if you got five in one session I would be suspicious you had biased the hands in your direction.

Goulash is bridge, it is not standard bridge but it is still bridge. You have a partner, you have to bid for the contract, you have to make the contract if you win the auction or try to take all your tricks in defence if you lose the auction, and the result is scored, so it's bridge.

Thank you.. I select almost all the hands from World Bridge Championships

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users