• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Call Out of Rotation

#1 User is offline   alokjoshi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-27, 15:36

Dear Forum members,

I am trying to read up to become a Club Director and while reading up on Law 29 a question came to mind. I will explain my question with an example.

If N opens bidding with say 1C and before E and S are able to call, W bids 1D and N bids 2C then according to Law 29A the non-offending side has forfeited the Right to Rectification. However what happens to E and S?
Have they lost there opportunity to bid in the first rotation or am I missing something(some rule) that takes care of this situation?

Thanks.

Alok

#2 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-27, 15:45

Yes, they've lost the opportunity to bid before west on the first round. The legal auction is now 1 by N, 1 by W, 2 by N, East is up.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   alokjoshi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-27, 17:25

Thank you sir for your clear and quick response. Greatly appreciate.

#4 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-27, 17:27

The only situation that may unwind accepted calls out of rotation is when there have been three consecutive passes, but at least one was out of rotation. Law 17D3 addresses what to do if someone was deprived of the right to call.

#5 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-February-28, 03:16

View Postsfi, on 2021-February-27, 17:27, said:

The only situation that may unwind accepted calls out of rotation is when there have been three consecutive passes, but at least one was out of rotation. Law 17D3 addresses what to do if someone was deprived of the right to call.

This is a perfect illustration of the complexity of the Laws. What is a seemingly straightforward situation, as Blackshoe explained, quite often has some exception. Luckily, the situation sfi mentions, is probably quite rare. In the example you gave, S would have to pass again before E makes a call, W and N also pass and no one draws attention to the infringements.
Don’t spend to much time considering these regulations, but concentrate on the most common irregularities. In F2F bridge these are calls and play out of turn, especially the open lead OOT, revokes, restoring hands where a card of one player has accidentally been moved to another hand - always time consuming if there’s no hand diagram -, missing cards - you’ll usually will find these on the floor, in an other board that’s on the table or in the hand of another player - disagreements about tricks made and lost, misinformation, including non alerting, use of unauthorized information and contested claims, These last three are far more difficult to handle than the others, which you usually can solve by following the laws book, but these don’t occur in online bridge :) Good luck!
Joost

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-28, 08:36

View Postsanst, on 2021-February-28, 03:16, said:

This is a perfect illustration of the complexity of the Laws. What is a seemingly straightforward situation, as Blackshoe explained, quite often has some exception. Luckily, the situation sfi mentions, is probably quite rare.

It's rare enough that I only remembered the basic concept - a player can't be skipped entirely by passes out of turn. I had to look up the details, but that's ok as long as I know there's something to look up if it ever arises at the table.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-28, 12:54

I think I've only actually ruled it once.

The situation it comes up (as a chance) is something like forcing auction to 3NT, and both defenders pass without giving the partner a chance to call. Now, if 3NT bidder passes, we roll back the auction to her partner, to ensure he didn't want to bid 4M or 6NT or something. Alternatively, a long noncompetitive auction to somewhere by South, West doubles, p by North and pass by South having "seen" East's pass (was it 5 or 6 passes in that packet?) Again, now if West accepts and passes, we return the auction to East.

The trigger should be (and will frequently be raised by the table) "hey, if we pass it out, it isn't fair that one player didn't get to bid." And sure enough, it isn't fair, and the Laws handle that. As sfi says (and commonly with directing), the key is not to know the Law, it's to know this situation has a Law. When - or if - it comes up, you look it up in the LB and follow instructions.

Silly sequence in spoiler
Spoiler

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users