Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two many hearts your call

#1 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-22, 23:34

One of the problems with events that only occur once every 100 hundred years is that there are so many of them that we are likely to encounter one every year. And that isn't including the one in 50-year and one in 20-year events.

The two hands below just came up in an afternoon [...]

When board 18 turned up, after my narrow escape on board 10, I had a sense of deja vu - all over again.

Board 10
I'm North with the hand below.
What should I do?
What is the best outcome?
What does West have?

[...]

After 7 more exciting games, Board 18 arrived.
After quickly checking board 10 to make sure nothing funky was happening, how would you respond to partners double?
Was the opening to your taste?
What does South have?
What does the West double mean?
Should I give up Bridge for (insert answer here)?

[...]

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2021-February-23, 02:25
Reason for edit: removed links

#2 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-23, 03:29

Hand 10 - I thought about 6H, 4NT but possibly just pass - vulnerable 4H to me means 8 tricks (EDIT - equal vul = 7 tricks, but possibly 7 losers) plus my 4 (EDIT 3?) tricks possibly equals (EDIT possible) slam but a lot of losers (EDIT so probably pass but if feeling brave bid 5H and see what happens - Pass!!)
hand 18 - I have no idea what kind of double it is - maybe negative meaning they don't have hearts or diamonds but rebid hearts

No idea really and I am certainly not the person to advise giving up Bridge

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-23, 05:41

View Postthepossum, on 2021-February-23, 03:29, said:

Hand 10 - I thought about 6H, 4NT but possibly just pass - vulnerable 4H to me means 8 tricks (EDIT - equal vul = 7 tricks, but possibly 7 losers) plus my 4 (EDIT 3?) tricks possibly equals (EDIT possible) slam but a lot of losers (EDIT so probably pass but if feeling brave bid 5H and see what happens - Pass!!)

I think you have misread the auction. The North hand is not the partner of the opener, it is sat over the opener, thus the question is what do you call with that hand after RHO opens 4.

On board 10 I'd gamble a double if that is value showing do-something-sensible-partner. If it is strictly takeout, I'd pass and hopefully take a plus score.

Board 18, 6.

#4 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-February-23, 09:49

Board 10, as I play a takeout double, pass.
Board 18, I think 4NT would be R K C B for hearts, so that's what I would bid. Think the opening bid is ok.
Last question, stick to bridge rather than find out that you're even worse at something else is my theory. 😎

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-23, 11:22

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-February-22, 23:34, said:

Board 10
What should I do?

We would have had an easy Pass over a 1 opening, so why do we think we should come into the auction at the 4 level?

What is the best outcome?

The absolute best outcome would be difficult to define but quite a common one will be 4 going down against some contract going down our way (if we decided to X).

What does West have?

It is a third seat opening so it can be anything from a normal preempt with ~6hcp to a hand that expects to make 4 but thinks slam is low odds opposite a passed hand.

After 7 more exciting games, Board 18 arrived.
Was the opening to your taste?

We have 9 tricks including a solid suit and an outside ace. For some this will be within their definition for an opening 3NT or 4 making it very simple. If not then both 2 and 1 are reasonable. With this distribution we are not really scared of 1 being passed out.

What does South have?

If I am not sure what sort of jump overcalls the opponents play I will ask (and refuse to bid until they answer). By default I would assume a WJO but 2nd seat red is the best time to play IJOs so if the opps are a regular pair, asking is advisable.

What does the West double mean?

Unless we have some special agreement (such as negative doubles only to 2) it is a negative double, showing some values and (at least) willingness to compete.

Should I give up Bridge for (insert answer here)?

Why? If you enjoy it, play it.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 03:09

View PostAL78, on 2021-February-23, 05:41, said:

I think you have misread the auction. The North hand is not the partner of the opener, it is sat over the opener, thus the question is what do you call with that hand after RHO opens 4.

On board 10 I'd gamble a double if that is value showing do-something-sensible-partner. If it is strictly takeout, I'd pass and hopefully take a plus score.

Board 18, 6.

Indeed, yet again I answered the wrong question. I would contemplate a double for penalties but probably pass

Looking again at 18 to make sure I answered the right question, I reckon 2C would be quite acceptable (to me :) ) but 1H is fine. You want to be in 4H min

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users