Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Biased hands

#1 User is offline   Duke1769 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-07, 06:53

I'm new to Bridge but have played enough to consider myself at intermediate level. I saved this in my profile as I thought it might lower my dealt points against the robot. Nothing below 11 ever on solitaire. Always declaring and no defending. This didn't change. I've noticed recently at our private table, consisting mostly of beginners, that I have played 18 hands and only had two hands above 10 points. Could this be due to my rating?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-February-07, 07:09

View PostDuke1769, on 2021-February-07, 06:53, said:

I'm new to Bridge but have played enough to consider myself at intermediate level. I saved this in my profile as I thought it might lower my dealt points against the robot. Nothing below 11 ever on solitaire. Always declaring and no defending. This didn't change.

BBO supports an option called "Best Hand" when you are playing with robots. Its designed to make sure that you have more HCPs than anyone else at the table (lots of people get annoyed by the bots poor defense, so they prefer best hand mode).

You have the option to disable this / choose non best hand events.

I've noticed recently at our private table, consisting mostly of beginners, that I have played 18 hands and only had two hands above 10 points. Could this be due to my rating?

This is almost certainly bad luck.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-07, 07:25

View PostDuke1769, on 2021-February-07, 06:53, said:

Could this be due to my rating?

In addition to what Hrothgar said, it is worth stating that your rating has absolutely no impact on the hands you are dealt - in any part of BBO. It is only used to self-evaluate to inform other people. Since you can choose whatever you like, take other people's ratings with more than a grain of salt.

#4 User is offline   Duke1769 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-07, 07:41

Thank you. That's reassuring. I'll put the bias down to a statistical freak.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users