BBO Discussion Forums: Where should bridge players write their conventions? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where should bridge players write their conventions?

#1 User is offline   jude999 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-06, 03:35

BBO has provided NO place for bridge players to put their CONVENTIONS, which are ESSENTIAL not only for partners (regular or not) but also for the opposition (regular or not).

Until this is done I would like to suggest a VERY SIMPLE AND QUICK CHANGE to a HEADING on the Account page.

Change the SMALL heading of 'other' to a heading 'OTHER & CONVENTIONS' or if you prefer 'CONVENTIONS & OTHER'

Bridge players will notice this when they register and set up their Account page.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ..... THIS IS A VERY SIMPLE REQUEST ...... if only to improve the wonderful game of BRIDGE which has two parts BIDDING & DECLARER play

#2 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-06, 04:41

BBO provides system cards. You can create and use your own system cards, by partner, or use generic cards. They can be found in the Account tab.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-February-06, 08:53

First, agree totally with Paul. Account/Convention Cards is a whole tab for you to create and store your favourite conventions. Load the one you like when they ask, and they can tell you if it's not what they want.

Second, a lot of people put conventions in profile in the about section. That works for pickup, as long as you assume American with or without 2/1 Game forcing. Doesn't work as well if your base system is Acol or Forum D or Polish Club.

Other alternative is having a line saved in Chat Manager that would be a quick summary of what you play that you could tell the opponents every round. Easy enough to post it as a suggestion to CHO.

Now there are people like me who regularly play systems most people have never heard of - I am starting to be surprised by the level of players who either have never heard of K/S or can't remember what it means, and that's my *normal* system. So, what do I do?

(besides avoid playing pickup, I guess)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-06, 08:59

I have a system card written out for each of my partners. But I don’t play with pick-ups so I don’t know what other considerations that requires
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   chigal64 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-07, 13:11

im playng a tourny and looked at opps cc. how dp ypu know whose it is

#6 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-February-07, 23:08

View Postpaulg, on 2021-February-06, 04:41, said:

BBO provides system cards. You can create and use your own system cards, by partner, or use generic cards. They can be found in the Account tab.

The BBO Advanced card allows you to erase everything and write longer descriptions than the template that looks like the back of a normal ACBL scorecard.

A word of warning, though: even if you enter manual linebreaks they won't show up on when the CC is reloaded. I use pipe symbols to separate items that go in the same section.

#7 User is offline   armantt2k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-08, 07:46

During tournaments the "Blue Hamburger" let's you see the opposing pair's Conv Card, if they have properly created it with their BBO login names. Unfortunately, many people who have been on BBO for months have not yet learned (or don't bother to learn) how to do this properly. But before the game starts, you can only see all the pairs who have Registered, and individual Profiles. You cannot view the Conv Cards of those registered pairs.

I think BBO should allow viewing (as well as copying, or at least printing) of the Conv Cards stored in the Account of any other BBO user, regardless of whether they are at your table, at the Partnership Desk, in your tournament, or even offline.

By looking at how others have filled in their Conv Cards I've learned where things go and learned better & briefer ways to describe my game with the limited space & characters.

I would also LOVE to see the Conv Cards of strong pairs, to get ideas of how I might improve my game (e.g. "How do XXXX&YYYY respond to weak 2's? - Wow!, maybe I should try to learn Ogust!")

Also, it would make it much easier for me to assist beginners in my VACB who who want to improve their "bridge etiquette" and ask me for help to complete or correct their Conv Card.

QUESTION TO BBO: What harm would there be in being able to View the Conv Card of others at any time?

#8 User is offline   morecharac 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cyclothymic dilettantism

Posted 2021-February-08, 15:40

View Postarmantt2k, on 2021-February-08, 07:46, said:

I would also LOVE to see the Conv Cards of strong pairs, to get ideas of how I might improve my game (e.g. "How do XXXX&YYYY respond to weak 2's? - Wow!, maybe I should try to learn Ogust!")

Yes. Yes, you should.

It really cuts down on those pesky "we missed a game when I couldn't open a weak two because all the honours were in partner's hand."

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2021-February-08, 16:13

View Postmorecharac, on 2021-February-07, 23:08, said:

The BBO Advanced card allows you to erase everything and write longer descriptions than the template that looks like the back of a normal ACBL scorecard.

A word of warning, though: even if you enter manual linebreaks they won't show up on when the CC is reloaded. I use pipe symbols to separate items that go in the same section.

I use blue diamonds. The BBO CC could use a lot of improvement. (Maybe the “CC” is redundant?)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   chigal64 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-February-08, 19:59

again say - how do you add your name to the cc so opps know which one you are. I havent set mine up yet but i have my infl on my profile.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-February-17, 09:32

View Postchigal64, on 2021-February-08, 19:59, said:

again say - how do you add your name to the cc so opps know which one you are. I havent set mine up yet but i have my infl on my profile.

There's a field labeled "NAMES" at the top right.

#12 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-18, 18:01

View Postchigal64, on 2021-February-08, 19:59, said:

Isn't "CC" Canadian Club?

#13 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-22, 18:55

Alas, FD cards gone.......... BBOalert will have to suffice

#14 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-26, 16:50

View Postmorecharac, on 2021-February-07, 23:08, said:

I have not tried it in CCs, but you can put non-breaking spaces like " " to keep phrases together on the same line.

#15 User is offline   stanmaz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-27, 04:31

View Post0 carbon, on 2021-February-26, 16:50, said:

I have not tried it in CCs, but you can put non-breaking spaces like " " to keep phrases together on the same line.

The current Beta release of BBOalert transforms automatically spaces into non-breaking spaces while saving the CC. Additionally the CC text can be prepared with any text editor and imported.

See release note

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2021-February-27, 10:42

View Post0 carbon, on 2021-February-18, 18:01, said:

Isn't "CC" Canadian Club?

Yes, delicious with ginger ale.

#17 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-March-01, 13:59

Eeh, coke or 7, please.

Now, a good rye and ginger *beer* might be worth trying.

I remember in Las Vegas asking for a Rye and Coke, and neither the bar nor the person getting the drink for me knew what rye was, and are there brands? Which is how I learned two things:
  • It's Canadian whisky, not Rye, outside Canada.
  • They know how to make a Crown (Royal) and Coke, no problem. Probably could have done CC if that was the first one I mentioned.

But if you come to Canada, try to find a real rye, not just corn whisky with rye flavouring like CC or Crown Royal. They exist, and it makes a huge difference. Of course, I don't drown those in Coke :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users