Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding A competitive sequence

#1 User is offline   relpar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-17, 09:42

After 2 passes your RHO opens with 1. Here is your hand 97542, AKT8765, -, 9. Vulnerable against non-vulnerable this is how the bidding proceeds: P - P - 1 - 2, 2 - 2 - 2(natural) - ??? Two questions. 1. What is your next bid? 2. Whatever you bid, say, LHO bid 5 and partner passes do you bid again?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-17, 10:01

I might bid 5 first time and put them to the test, partner didn't have to bid over 2 but has chosen to do so, he also only bid 2. Second time he hasn't doubled 5. You may well be beating 5 on a diamond lead, but probably won't get one. My problem with this is that in reality I may have no defence to 6.

5 is unlikely to make (but it's far from impossible) although I think it's most likely -1 against a making game.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-17, 11:57

Questions:
  • Your next call?
  • If possible, LHO bids 5, passed to you. What now?

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-17, 12:56

With both West and North passing, I wouldn't have entertained a 2 Michael's cue bid on the first round with 7(strong)/5(weak) shape. I would have just have bid 4 as South. That doesn't answer your questions but may have avoided a tricky decision later.

Answering your questions. On the auction given I'll just bid 4; I can always bid 5 later, and that's what I would do if they then bid 5 after 4. It sounds that we are sacrificing, and it sounds they are hesitant to enquire about a slam, so hopefully we get doubled in 5 for a good score, even red/white.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users