BBO Discussion Forums: Tablet blocked with advertisement - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tablet blocked with advertisement

#1 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-14, 11:32

Playing on an HD screen tablet with the BBO Android app and a nickname with no BB$, I have twice found myself blocked in a white page containing the publicity banner and nothing else. I could find no way out of this page and even restarting the app put me back in the same situation - I solved it just on time by logging on with a phone instead.

Any ideas on what is going wrong and how I could avoid it or correct it when it happens?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-August-14, 15:16

pescetom, on 2020-August-14, 11:32, said:

Playing on an HD screen tablet with the BBO Android app and a nickname with no BB$, I have twice found myself blocked in a white page containing the publicity banner and nothing else. I could find no way out of this page and even restarting the app put me back in the same situation - I solved it just on time by logging on with a phone instead.

Any ideas on what is going wrong and how I could avoid it or correct it when it happens?

Can you please send us a screenshot if this happens again? diana@bridgebase.com

Does tapping the Back arrow on your device help?

We show interstitial ads on the mobile apps (full screen ads that can be closed after about 5 seconds) but if you say rebooting did not fix the problem it's probably not an interstitial.

#3 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-15, 04:21

Sure, I'll take a screen shot if it happens again.
The back arrow either did nothing or took me out of the app altogether, can't remember which. I think my reboot was 'close all' apps and then BBO again.
The interstitial ads sound like the probable culprit, although it's odd that the ad did not resize for the large screen. There was a tiny X button to the left of the ad, but I am reluctant to click on such things unless you assure me that is the bona fide dismiss mechanism.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 12:29

pescetom, on 2020-August-15, 04:21, said:

Sure, I'll take a screen shot if it happens again.
The back arrow either did nothing or took me out of the app altogether, can't remember which. I think my reboot was 'close all' apps and then BBO again.
The interstitial ads sound like the probable culprit, although it's odd that the ad did not resize for the large screen. There was a tiny X button to the left of the ad, but I am reluctant to click on such things unless you assure me that is the bona fide dismiss mechanism.

The little X is how you're supposed to close it, yes.

#5 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-15, 14:58

diana_eva, on 2020-August-15, 12:29, said:

The little X is how you're supposed to close it, yes.

Thanks, I will risk it next time.
Some ads psyche the X so I am reluctant to click in general.

Maybe you could look into why the ad and the X do not resize and how interstitial ads are scheduled: this last time it was my turn to bid as dealer on the last hand of the tournament.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-16, 17:29

pescetom, on 2020-August-15, 14:58, said:

Thanks, I will risk it next time.
Some ads psyche the X so I am reluctant to click in general.

Maybe you could look into why the ad and the X do not resize and how interstitial ads are scheduled: this last time it was my turn to bid as dealer on the last hand of the tournament.

Then it was not an interstitial.

Interstitials appear only when player is leaving a main club table. They never show up during play, and never in a tourney (not even after the last hand).

Must have been something else, maybe a faulty banner ad.

I'll take a look at what happens with the ads, but the filters we set for the ads should not allow this behaviour..

#7 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-17, 04:09

diana_eva, on 2020-August-16, 17:29, said:

Then it was not an interstitial.

Interstitials appear only when player is leaving a main club table. They never show up during play, and never in a tourney (not even after the last hand).

Must have been something else, maybe a faulty banner ad.

I'll take a look at what happens with the ads, but the filters we set for the ads should not allow this behaviour..

Thanks. If it helps, it happened on the last board #18 of tournament #3054 on 13 August, just before I opened 1♧ as dealer.
But don't worry, there are bigger problems and I'll take a screen shot of it happens again.

#8 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-August-31, 10:21

It happened again on Thursday, this time at the start of a tournament. Unfortunately I was panicking about the tournament and forgot to take a screen shot.
I did try the little x box on the left and yes it was genuine and enabled, but all it did was to temporarily suppress the ad and show some title like Google ad services - it didn't solve the problem. At the third attempt to restart the BBO app I managed to get in and play, without changing device. No further problems during remainder of tournament.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-31, 16:22

If you've paid for a tournament we shouldn't be sending any ads to you.

I have ads permanently disabled, but a few times last year I was getting ads when I was using my Amazon Fire tablet with a Comcast WiFi hotspot. I think it was Comcast inserting them, they weren't coming from us. But it's hard to be sure, since there are no browser debugging tools available on the tablet.

I suspect something like that may be happening to you.

#10 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-01, 10:06

barmar, on 2020-August-31, 16:22, said:

If you've paid for a tournament we shouldn't be sending any ads to you.

I have ads permanently disabled, but a few times last year I was getting ads when I was using my Amazon Fire tablet with a Comcast WiFi hotspot. I think it was Comcast inserting them, they weren't coming from us. But it's hard to be sure, since there are no browser debugging tools available on the tablet.

I suspect something like that may be happening to you.

It was a free tournament and I was using an account with no BB$ and the BBO app, so it is normal to have a small ad at the top.
I was using wifi from a hotspot offered by my cellphone.
Not sure who decides which ad to show - right now I ran the app and got an ad for the competitor of my phone company, so I suspect it is google and that here they ignore BBO, the source of my internet and my identity.
Using a similar account but on the PC with browser I get ads related to bridge or my recent purchase.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-01, 10:16

pescetom, on 2020-September-01, 10:06, said:

It was a free tournament and I was using an account with no BB$ and the BBO app, so it is normal to have a small ad at the top.
I was using wifi from a hotspot offered by my cellphone.
Not sure who decides which ad to show - right now I ran the app and got an ad for the competitor of my phone company, so I suspect it is google and that here they ignore BBO, the source of my internet and my identity.
Using a similar account but on the PC with browser I get ads related to bridge or my recent purchase.

We show google and bridge ads on mobile. The bridge ads are nice and clean, we manually post them. But everything else is google with almost zero control.

I saw a weird ad taking up half of my screen as well. Trying to figure out how to block this, but there aren't many options available.

Meanwhile we can hide ads for your account so you can play without interruption. Send me the username in private message please.

Sorry about this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users