BBO Discussion Forums: Trapped in a dream. What is your plan? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trapped in a dream. What is your plan? You need to find three keys to wake up.

Poll: Trapped in a dream. What is your plan? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you wish to be captain on this auction? (One who make final decision)

1. Yes (8 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. No (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Assume you play soloway J/S do you jump?

1. Yes (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (6 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

What is your general approach?

1. Agree on diamonds -> Control bid -> Get a response of a suit showing A -> Excl RKC on the other suit (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Set hearts as trumps -> Control bid clubs three times -> See if p c-bid diamonds three times (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Splinter 1D - 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Splinter 1D - 4C (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2020-August-14, 07:03

It is 4am. Your are stuck in a dream. In it you are sitting south holding - AKQJT852 JT532 - hand. To get out of the dream you need to find a way such that it is absolute certain that A K Q (or AKxxx) is your partner's hand while you make your final bid.
Alternatively you can try to describe your hand to him via bidding so that he makes the right decision.
As a bonus, you can try to ascertain that A K Q A A is in his hand to have a sweet dream on the following days (perhaps to be at a place you ever wanted to travel to).

You know north is a BBO robot, all he can do to show you is from the bidding. You can choose to activate east-west as well if not they will be keep silent.

How would you proceed? If you start with 1 or 2 (inv minor) or 2 (SJS) you can assume the following:

2 is showing stopper on the second one. 3 on the third one shows 3 card support.

If you activate East West the bidding go like this:

Natural bidding system is agreed between you two.
You can use control-bidding once a suit has been agreed, can use Exclusion RKC-Blackwood and other specific agreements except Asking Bids.

You dont have specific agreement with 5NT. Your partner will always bid 7 with two of three honors, so it just wont work.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-14, 07:42

Of course you don't need those precise cards, 5 top tricks and a heart whatever the top tricks are will do for 7N if both black aces are held, 7 will make if he's void or doesn't have one of the black aces, the two black AKs and the diamond A for example.

With my chosen partner, I would respond 1 and then have ways of dealing with the hand where depending on how it goes I can agree diamonds in forcing fashion at the 3 level then decide whether I want to use a GSF variant or simple keycard.

Our GSF variant is 5 with the usual responses but 6+ used to show which 2 or 3, so it can be used here if you're prepared to play a possibly dodgy 6N if you don't get the reply you want, with a robot this is much more difficult

#3 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-14, 09:13

1. Captain
2. Use Soloway Jump. Set Trump Suit. Totally solid even for 5-0 break.
3. Let's see how the bidding goes. I don't agree with setting s as trumps and then cue bidding s three times. There are other bids available. Exclusion/Voidwood

Admittedly agreeing s as the trump suit might make it easier to locate the honours but to me that is anti-bridge. You have a solid suit and you have to take control here. Partner could well have a three card suit: you will only find these things out as the bidding progresses. What partner needs to know first is that you have a game going hand with a solid suit - if that's the way you play Soloway.

#4 User is offline   Huibertus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 05:08

In the end this will come down to some guessing no matter how you plan to bid. So you need to ensure you will be making the best informed guess possible.

So start with 1 you need to find out how many partner has, if it is 5, Q doesn't matter. The way to find out certainly is NOT a soloway jump.

Don't splinter. A splinter in or in will make partner very enthousiastic if he has wasted honours in the other black suit. It could lead him to bid a slam XXX.

So establish how many partner likely has, agree on and then either guess, use RCKB and then guess, or use Josephine and then guess.

Exclusion blackwood is nonsense on this hand, which suit are you excluding? Two suit exclusion would be great, but I don't think that exists...

If opps are so kind to bid both blacks, then cue bid them both and let partner decide.

BTW once the level of play has been decide we will correct to playing I suppose...

#5 User is offline   Edge_ 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-15, 05:10

1 First remember you are a team! If you force H or D as the suit now, consider partner may even correct you back to it later if you unexpectedly change the suit at your last bid.
2 Are you playing imps or match points? preferring the safest slam or a few extra points NT
3 recognise the question is wrong! You would rather know that partner had 3 Aces and a kIng than AKQ of diamonds!
4 work out the numbers; is 1D showing 3 or 4 diamonds, In which case a diamond honour may be dropped, but also increases the probability of lightner double and ruff.

So exclusion RKCB in spades is temptingly pre-emptive, over 1D, to find AKQ diamonds but may be obscured by AC,
Although I’d prefer discovering slowly, wIth .. 1H, (p) 2NT, - so there can’t be more than 2 aces missing and it’s better than 50% chance of 2 diamond honours ( but how does p hold 2H opposite your 8? !). There’s also a chance for opps to reveal where the points are (someone has 5 spades and someone 5 clubs).

so then simply check with Gerber for Aces and kings, and plump for best slam, as missing aces for NT correspondingly increases chances of diamond honours for a suit slam

-perhaps the hardest question your team are finding the answer to, is whether to bid over a 6S sacrifice or double it ? -which is probably your partners choice, not yours, as better placed to see penalty tricks to take or whether a first round ruff or missing keycard risk in bidding 7

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2020-August-15, 06:24

View PostMinorKid, on 2020-August-14, 07:03, said:

You know north is a BBO robot

You can use control-bidding once a suit has been agreed, can use Exclusion RKC-Blackwood and other specific agreements except Asking Bids.

GiB plays a version of 2/1 GF that doesn't include Exclusion RKC.

To get out of the dream you need to find a way such that it is absolute certain that A K Q (or AKxxx) is your partner's hand while you make your final bid.

GiB won't always let you find about the fifth diamond after 1-1; 2N.

Alternatively you can try to describe your hand to him via bidding so that he makes the right decision.

That's too easy:

1-1
2N-3
3-4
5-7*
7**

* meaningless
** the right decision

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 06:34

View PostHuibertus, on 2020-August-15, 05:08, said:

Exclusion blackwood is nonsense on this hand, which suit are you excluding? Two suit exclusion would be great, but I don't think that exists...

Some 2/1 partnerships could conceivably bid

1-1
2N-3
4*-5**.

* H fit, A, no A
** Exclusion

#8 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 08:19

View PostHuibertus, on 2020-August-15, 05:08, said:

In the end this will come down to some guessing no matter how you plan to bid. So you need to ensure you will be making the best informed guess possible.

Assume that you have to find the three honors:

If your control bid promises 1st round control.
To find the three honors, one way i think possibly work to start control-bidding after setting trumps with , then to launch exclusion RKCB in the other black suit against which partner has specifically shown/denied the ace in that suit, followed by asking trump queen. But that will be complicated once you start with 1 and ending up 4 as control bid.

The other way around i recommend to a blunt partner is set as trumps then bid clubs three times. I know a blunt partner usually comply with the cheapest 1st 2nd 3rd round control in order. But with a considerable partner it may look like to him that you are lacking spade control on the first cue-bid and on the second and third round he will think you're looking for spade ace/void, therefore depending your bidding styles he may decide to return to the trump suit for lacking the seemingly missing spade control along with club wastage/minimum hand. Also if the bidding reach 6 or 7 bid by you after being "agreed" some considerate partner may convert to hearts or even 7NT missing outside ace in a suit on one of your voids.

Both option has flaws so damn! Maybe someone will implement
1. Three top-trump GSF for 7 & 7
2. Trump Asking Bids for 2/1 GF and SAYC
3. Two suit exclusion Roman Six Key Card Blackwood with either queen asking feature

#9 User is offline   razorsharp 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 17:44

It is 4am. Your are stuck in a dream. In it you are sitting south holding - AKQJT852 JT532 - hand. To get out of the dream you need to find a way such that it is absolute certain that A K Q (or AKxxx) is your partner's hand while you make your final bid.
As a bonus, you can try to ascertain that A K Q A A is in his hand to have a sweet dream on the following days (perhaps to be at a place you ever wanted to travel to).

You know north is a BBO robot, all he can do to show you is from the bidding. You can choose to activate east-west as well if not they will be keep silent.

How would you proceed? If you start with 1 or 2 (inv minor) or 2 (SJS) you can assume the following:

2 is showing stopper on the second one. 3 on the third one shows 3 card support.

If you activate East West the bidding go like this:

You dont have specific agreement with 5NT. Your partner will always bid 7 with two of three honors, so it just wont work.

#10 User is offline   razorsharp 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 17:49

Get real, BBOers. theres noway to describe or elicit that you can legitimately construct. Even if u thought you could, - how would you ever trust the BoltHead's bids? JUST BID 6!H/ 1D and take the practical view to the probable right spot and save time, agony, and ultimate psychological breakdown

#11 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 17:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-August-14, 07:42, said:

Of course you don't need those precise cards, 5 top tricks and a heart whatever the top tricks are will do for 7N if both black aces are held, 7 will make if he's void or doesn't have one of the black aces, the two black AKs and the diamond A for example.

With my chosen partner, I would respond 1 and then have ways of dealing with the hand where depending on how it goes I can agree diamonds in forcing fashion at the 3 level then decide whether I want to use a GSF variant or simple keycard.

Our GSF variant is 5 with the usual responses but 6+ used to show which 2 or 3, so it can be used here if you're prepared to play a possibly dodgy 6N if you don't get the reply you want, with a robot this is much more difficult

Do you mean something like a jump to 5 at
1 1
2NT 3
3 5

#12 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 17:57

View Postrazorsharp, on 2020-August-15, 17:49, said:

Get real, BBOers. theres noway to describe or elicit that you can legitimately construct. Even if u thought you could, - how would you ever trust the BoltHead's bids? JUST BID 6!H/ 1D and take the practical view to the probable right spot and save time, agony, and ultimate psychological breakdown

Gee, maybe the bolt would cue bid diamonds three times after clubs, no matter without spade control or bad hand.

#13 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 18:08

View Postnullve, on 2020-August-15, 06:24, said:

GiB plays a version of 2/1 GF that doesn't include Exclusion RKC.

You are right.

GiB won't always let you find about the fifth diamond after 1-1; 2NT.

1-1-2NT-3 if robot has 5 diamonds it will bid 3.

That's too easy:

1-1
2N-3
3-4
5-7*
7**

* meaningless
** the right decision

It is funny
As fas as i know Robot control-bid 1st round control. Even through it skipped 4 4 5 may still have the kings. KQJ xxx KQJx KQJ is entirely possible.

#14 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-15, 18:43

View PostMinorKid, on 2020-August-15, 18:08, said:

1-1-2NT-3 if robot has 5 diamonds it will bid 3.

I've checked with
predeal south HAKQJT852, DJT532
predeal north DAK
hcp(north)==18 and shape(north, 2353 + 3352)

at a teaching table with North as dealer on BBO. Opener bid 3 over 1-1; 2N-3 each time.

View PostMinorKid, on 2020-August-15, 18:08, said:

It is funny
As fas as i know Robot control-bid 1st round control. Even through it skipped 4 4 5 may still have the kings. KQJ xxx KQJx KQJ is entirely possible.

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-09, 14:11

I visited for YES to soloway j/s BUT that was before I knew I had a bot for a partner (they are scary). I will not give the bot the slightest clue we have a dia fit because if I determine 6h is the max I do NOT want bot overruling me to an impossible 7d just because they are short in hearts. With a bot KISS strong jump shift followed by cue bids to see how many times they can cue diamonds OR until it takes over the bidding.

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-09, 15:59

The stupid thing is that if you keep the heart suit out of the auction you will attract a lightner double from W and the last thing E will lead is a heart, if partner rescues to 7N W is seriously in the hot seat.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users