Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Variation on a Theme

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-09, 09:13

One of the Bridge Master hands, modified slightly. West leads the king of diamonds. What now?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-09, 09:41

Looks like a win the ace, table K pitching a diamond whether or not E plays the A.

W appears to have KQ so E has all the other high cards.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-September-09, 11:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-09, 09:41, said:

Looks like a win the ace, table K pitching a diamond whether or not E plays the A.

W appears to have KQ so E has all the other high cards.

Over the first fence, but still Becher's and the Chair to come. East wins the ace of clubs and plays a second diamond.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-09, 11:46

View Postlamford, on 2020-September-09, 11:42, said:

Over the first fence, but still Becher's and the Chair to come. East wins the ace of clubs and plays a second diamond.

ruff high, now tell me which spots I've seen

It looks like I'm in good shape if E only has 2 spades, I'm not sure if I can survive them having 3, I'm looking for any clues I can get if I have to guess whether E has 4 or 5 clubs.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-September-09, 11:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-09, 11:46, said:

ruff high, now tell me which spots I've seen

Looks like East started with JTxx to some number as he returns the jack. West will play the 3 on this trick, normal remaining count. On the first diamond, East played the 2, normal count.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-09, 12:11

View Postlamford, on 2020-September-09, 11:48, said:

Looks like East started with JTxx to some number as he returns the jack. West will play the 3 on this trick, normal remaining count. On the first diamond, East played the 2, normal count.

It feels like a guess now, if E has 2 spades, he will be 2434 or 2335 so if I lead a top spade, (could be the 8 overtaking if the 7 appears) either E wins and returns his second spade which I win on the table, or he ducks and a second spade forces him to lead a club to put me on the table, unless he had A109x or his partner had 109x I will have to guess whether to ruff out the clubs or take a ruffing finesse with the 87.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-September-10, 03:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-09, 12:11, said:

It feels like a guess now, if E has 2 spades, he will be 2434 or 2335 so if I lead a top spade, (could be the 8 overtaking if the 7 appears) either E wins and returns his second spade which I win on the table, or he ducks and a second spade forces him to lead a club to put me on the table, unless he has 109xx or his partner has 109x I will have to guess whether to ruff out the clubs or take a ruffing finesse with the 87.

I think you need to lead the 8, and when West shows out, you take your only remaining chance of overtaking. East wins and returns the five of spades, but you carefully unblock the four, and overtake with the six. Now the top clubs and, mirabile dictu, East began with AT9 and ruffs the fourth round, but the three of spades is an entry for the fifth club. Yes, I know it was constructed, but as far as I can see, this is a no-loss play. If West follows you will have the guess you state.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-September-10, 03:35

View Postlamford, on 2020-September-10, 03:24, said:

I think you need to lead the 8, and when West shows out, you take your only remaining chance of overtaking. East wins and returns the five of spades, but you carefully unblock the four, and overtake with the six. Now the top clubs and, mirabile dictu, East began with AT9 and ruffs the fourth round, but the three of spades is an entry for the fifth club. Yes, I know it was constructed, but as far as I can see, this is a no-loss play. If West follows you will have the guess you state.

This is one of those cases where I might well lead the 8 and when LHO shows out, come to the conclusion that the 109 had to drop one side or other and find the necessary play at the table.

What were the full shapes ? 0355/3343 ?

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2020-September-10, 16:26

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-September-10, 03:35, said:

This is one of those cases where I might well lead the 8 and when LHO shows out, come to the conclusion that the 109 had to drop one side or other and find the necessary play at the table.

What were the full shapes ? 0355/3343 ?

As I said, it was constructed, and East had A75, AQx JTxx AT9.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users