BBO Discussion Forums: Play a sound when the claim is declined - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play a sound when the claim is declined

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-22, 03:27

This happens to me everyday, I claim on some hand where I have 1 obvious loser and the rest are mine or whatever, then I go mind my business to another room, to another tab on my browser or something like.

Turns out my opponents have declined my "obvious" claim and the play should ocntinue but I am not aware of it.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 15:23

One of the really annoying things (to me) about V3 is that the claim balloon sits on top of the "tricks taken" box. So I can't tell without counting every single card whether you're offering me a trick or not. Sometimes the claim times out while I'm looking (whereas in v2 where I see that we've taken one trick, he's claiming "making 5", he's giving me my Ace.

There are some, of course, who, if you claim and they have a trick, assume you're pulling one over on them, and reject it without counting to find out how many tricks you are claiming.

Even if you put a note in "give you the spade ace".

I don't disagree with the request, though.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-22, 19:15

View Postmycroft, on 2020-July-22, 15:23, said:

One of the really annoying things (to me) about V3 is that the claim balloon sits on top of the "tricks taken" box. So I can't tell without counting every single card whether you're offering me a trick or not. Sometimes the claim times out while I'm looking (whereas in v2 where I see that we've taken one trick, he's claiming "making 5", he's giving me my Ace.

There are some, of course, who, if you claim and they have a trick, assume you're pulling one over on them, and reject it without counting to find out how many tricks you are claiming.

Even if you put a note in "give you the spade ace".

I don't disagree with the request, though.

No? It doesn’t seem to be too challenging to wait to see what happens to the claim. Are you just way too busy to stay still for a minute after the last hand of a session?

I do agree with your first paragraph though. You should be able to see the tricks taken, and the claim should be made with reference to the contract rather than the remaining cards. Counting the cards is super annoying, and I’ve also had experience of the claim timing out while I am counting.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-July-23, 06:20

I suggest the sound should be the same one you get when it is your turn to play.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-July-23, 09:09

No. If it's going to tell me every time it's my bid, every time it's my play, the fact that they've required me to continue play is not an unreasonable request for sound.

I was just pointing out to Fluffy that there are reasons that the opponents would "decline" his "obvious claim" even if it was screamingly obvious, just not for all the tricks, so...

He should probably wait to see if the claim was accepted before leaving the room.

(Heh, looking at both my posts here, I seem to use double negatives as "qualified assent" (almost wrote "not unqualified assent"!). I need to think about this idiom and my use of it; it may be unhelpful to my cause.)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-23, 10:53

View Postpescetom, on 2020-July-23, 06:20, said:

I suggest the sound should be the same one you get when it is your turn to play.

Does anyone really have this sound enabled? Besides, you are only going to leave the room if your session is already finished. The chances that you will be declarer on the last board, and you will have a claim, and the opponents will contest this, are vanishingly slim.

If you do somehow have this experience frequently, you should have learned your lesson. Give up your losers before claiming if possible.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-24, 15:48

View PostFluffy, on 2020-July-22, 03:27, said:

This happens to me everyday, I claim on some hand where I have 1 obvious loser and the rest are mine or whatever, then I go mind my business to another room, to another tab on my browser or something like.

Turns out my opponents have declined my "obvious" claim and the play should ocntinue but I am not aware of it.

I can't believe the sheer arrogance of departing before the claim is accepted / declined. You wouldn't do it face-to-face and expect it to be acceptable behaviour.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-July-24, 15:52

View PostVampyr, on 2020-July-23, 10:53, said:

Does anyone really have this sound enabled? Besides, you are only going to leave the room if your session is already finished. The chances that you will be declarer on the last board, and you will have a claim, and the opponents will contest this, are vanishingly slim.

I was being ironic.
I don't think there is any such sound, unfortunately.
I think there should be, at least when you are not responding (as in a TCR where you get booted after 30 seconds with no bid) or in this case (where you might well think the hand is over).

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-July-24, 15:55

View Postmycroft, on 2020-July-23, 09:09, said:

(Heh, looking at both my posts here, I seem to use double negatives as "qualified assent" (almost wrote "not unqualified assent"!). I need to think about this idiom and my use of it; it may be unhelpful to my cause.)

Indeed.
I rarely disagree with you, the few times I am sure what you are saying :)

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-24, 18:34

View Postpescetom, on 2020-July-24, 15:52, said:

I was being ironic.
I don't think there is any such sound, unfortunately.
I think there should be, at least when you are not responding (as in a TCR where you get booted after 30 seconds with no bid) or in this case (where you might well think the hand is over).

There is indeed a sound when it is your turn to play, and there is also a swishing sound made by the cards being played. Both are incredibly annoying.

#11 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 18:43

For you maybe, and you can disable them; for me the sound when it's my turn is incredibly useful. Makes sense that it should at least be consistent.

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-24, 18:47

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-July-24, 18:43, said:

For you maybe, and you can disable them; for me the sound when it's my turn is incredibly useful. Makes sense that it should at least be consistent.

I am usually watching the screen, so I know when it is my turn. For people who are playing online and also watching TV or whatever, I can see the sound being useful.

#13 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 18:51

So you think the option for a sound should be removed entirely and not be given to anyone; fair enough. That's irrelevant to this discussion; given there is a sound effect when it is your action, there should be a sound effect any time it is your action.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-24, 19:01

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-July-24, 18:51, said:

So you think the option for a sound should be removed entirely and not be given to anyone; fair enough. That's irrelevant to this discussion; given there is a sound effect when it is your action, there should be a sound effectTo any time it is your action.

I don’t care if other people have a sound enabled. Unless I am playing with friends on Zoom; I find it super annoying even then.

But if you choose to have it enabled, it seems unnecessary to have it for a rejected claim because you must rush off after your session is finished. You may well have logged off BBO anyway, so it will not matter if a sound is played.

#15 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 20:10

Perhaps the reason for the suggestion wasn't the greatest. That doesn't mean the suggestion itself was bad. A more common use-case is in the MBC when people get stuck for unknown reasons, sometimes for several minutes. When I'm not the host, rather than the more common approach of sending multiple question marks, I do take that time to multitask, waiting for a beep to tell me play has resumed. If that pause happens after I've made a claim, the card shuffling noise tells me they accepted but..

#16 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-24, 20:46

Incidentally, the same applies to the prompt to explain your bid which is silent.

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2020-July-25, 03:57

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-July-24, 20:46, said:

Incidentally, the same applies to the prompt to explain your bid which is silent.

Right, and also when the claim is made, because so often people don't realice someone is claiming as well.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-26, 14:09

I can understand most of the requests for alert sounds, since you might not be looking at the appropriate part of the screen when they happen.

But I find it hard to believe someone would make a claim and then look away. Whenever I make a claim, I keep an eye on it, because if the opponents don't accept right away I'll want to add more explanation. In general, you expect a claim to be accepted or rejected in 5-10 seconds, not enough time to switch tasks.

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2020-July-29, 05:39

View Postbarmar, on 2020-July-26, 14:09, said:

I can understand most of the requests for alert sounds, since you might not be looking at the appropriate part of the screen when they happen.

But I find it hard to believe someone would make a claim and then look away. Whenever I make a claim, I keep an eye on it, because if the opponents don't accept right away I'll want to add more explanation. In general, you expect a claim to be accepted or rejected in 5-10 seconds, not enough time to switch tasks.

I understand that most people are like that, but I am not, I can switch tasks every round of bidding and every trick sometimes when the hand is plain enough.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-29, 06:17

View PostFluffy, on 2020-July-29, 05:39, said:

I understand that most people are like that, but I am not, I can switch tasks every round of bidding and every trick sometimes when the hand is plain enough.

If you have such a short attention span that you cannot play a hand without doing other things at the same time, maybe bridge is not the game for you. I do understand that online is a bit different.

In any case, you have to return to the table whether the claim has been accepted or not.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users