Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using table chat

#1 User is offline   rustysnow 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-13, 08:52

Greetings all, hope everyone is staying safe with the ever-evolving circumstances happening around us. Recently, I came across one of my friends playing in an online casual Individual tournament that targetted novice-intermediates. Paired with a stranger, my friend opened 2NT to show 20-22 and their partner (a stranger) bid 3S. My friend, thinking that this was a convention of some sort that they might not have learned yet, used table chat to enquiry if somehow it was a minor transfer or natural. LHO of my friend then said it was improper table chat when my friend enquired partner's bid at their turn. My friend stayed calm and just guessed that it was transfer to clubs and left the contract at 4C. Dummy came down and had only an Ace of Diamonds with 5 small clubs and doubleton spade. My problem here is obviously not about bidding of course, but rather if it was really "improper" table chat. With the context of a Casual tournament (which was also free and no masterpoints rewarded), and that it was an Individual tournament, I personally think it's fine asking your P about their bids especially when it's unlike in a Pairs tournament whereby one may discuss the system beforehand if time permits (an argument on whether such table chat is appropriate in the same context but in a Pairs tourney might be less convincing). Especially on this hand whereby it went 2NT-3S as compared to 1NT-2C Stayman which is almost always agreed upon, I feel that table chat could be used to enquire, just like how some might do in a Casual table. When there is also no strict restrictions stated by TD in the Tourney description, I am more leaning towards using of table chat to enquiry bids from strangers for a better playing experience. Do feel free to share your opinions with me.

Regards, Russell

(Edit: Apologies should have started this topic under the BBO forum section :( Apologies if I have to trouble the mods to shift this topic.)

#2 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-13, 11:15

The tourney organizer should set such policy if they want to.

(and they should announce it in that case).

I wouldn't do it on my own.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-13, 11:28

It can't be called a tournament (or even bridge) if you are explaining your bids to your partner. That's why individual tournaments only really make sense when everyone is playing the same convention card.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-July-13, 14:33

Normally this would be very inappropriate.

However, in a tournament targeted to beginners the rules might be relaxed because they can't be expected to know many conventions. And since it's an individual, there's a good chance there's a difference of experience between the partners.

As Gerardo said, the specific rules are up to the tourney organizer.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users